GOP’s hideous strategy to survive as the “white party”

If it wasn't for goddamn Lincoln, we would already be two separate countries. Go to the deep south, in some places the Civil War has not ended, it is merely in an extended cease-fire.

I am going to agree with you. The issue with New York is there are Federal, State, and City taxes. Those taxes do add up to a lot of money. On the other side of the coin, people want to live in New York City. It is also a place that you can do very well for yourself. Many companies have headquarters in NYC, or other offices. It's a world destination, like Tokyo, London, or Paris. I don't believe NYC will go Detroit-style bankrupt. Too many people are willing to pay $1,000 a square foot to live there. The industry and business is much different there than Detroit.

I was in Detroit in 1995 or so, and it was a dump then. I would say it has gotten worse, but it wasn't worth a crap back then either. I can't blame all of their problems on Liberalism, because they have had a lot of people leave. The cost of everything is going up, and less money in the pot. It's simple economics there. Their policies may have added to the problems, but the auto industry started leaving in the 1980's and never looked back. Other places that had part plants or whatever in Michigan, began supplying to Toyota and Honda, as they moved more operations here.

I can't blame Liberal politics for all of Detroit's problems.
Here is the real question you need to ask yourself... even if the auto industry went away in Detroit why would that have to be the end of a once great city if you had decent, common sense policies that could keep the city thriving. My point is that it is clear that other towns and cities have had made industries fleet from them but they will still able to continue to have success because of sound fiscally conservative policies.

Every one who says crap, like that has basically no idea about late roman history. Ninja probably thinks Diocletian, is a prescription drug.
Anyone who writes crap like this basically has no idea about how punctuation works. :roll:

Here is the real question you need to ask yourself... even if the auto industry went away in Detroit why would that have to be the end of a once great city if you had decent, common sense policies that could keep the city thriving. My point is that it is clear that other towns and cities have had made industries fleet from them but they will still able to continue to have success because of sound fiscally conservative policies.
True, they would be on their way to the shitter, not shoulder deep in it.

True, they would be on their way to the shitter, not shoulder deep in it.
Bullshit. When a single industry is the sole driver of economic activity, the business that crops up around it goes down when that industry cashes out and leaves the area high and dry. Concentrations of capital aren't obligated to stay in the same area code. When it leaves, it creates an economic vacuum that depresses an area. I guess it takes a Conservative to conjure up empty platitudes about "common sense" without the logic to actually explain it.

Bullshit. When a single industry is the sole driver of economic activity, the business that crops up around it goes down when that industry cashes out and leaves the area high and dry. Concentrations of capital aren't obligated to stay in the same area code. When it leaves, it creates an economic vacuum that depresses an area. I guess it takes a Conservative to conjure up empty platitudes about "common sense" without the logic to actually explain it.
You are acting like Detroit is some small town that didn't have other business that didn't exist... You are away that Detroit was a city and not some hick town right?

You are acting like Detroit is some small town that didn't have other business that didn't exist... You are away that Detroit was a city and not some hick town right?
Sure, why don't you explain what those other businesses are that employed a similarly large percentage of Detroit's population?

The size of the city doesn't matter, the percentage of the population employed by an industry that collapses is what matters. It can be a town of 50 or 5 million and if a significant enough percentage of them become unemployed virtually overnight then the other business no longer have paying customers to keep them in business, unless of course you have one hell of a tourism industry still in place to pull in outside money (hence the reason Detroit went into overdrive in the 70s/80s in trying to build up their tourism industry).

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/The-Midwest/Detroit-Economy.html

There's the industries in Detroit. Notice it say auto manufacturing went down in the 1980's, you know when companies like Toyota and Honda decided to make cars in America, and GM, Ford, and Crapler decided to make their cars in Mexico. Like I said, I won't blame Liberal policies for everything, but you have to look at it this way: Evolve or perish. Detroit didn't evolve. They continued to pay unions to run their city until it bankrupted them.

But it's cool Obama and John McCain will find a way to bail them out.

How crappy is it that the company the gov't "saved" was knowingly killing its customers with defective ignitions? Letting the already in place bankruptcy laws apply might have caused the company to actually change its policies instead of just being bailed out with tax payer money. I'm waiting for Obama to chant "GM is alive, and Osama is dead!" again. Between that, the incompetence and lying with the VA, and losing emails, why in the world would anyone think the gov't is effective and competent?

I think some folks are missing the most important lesson from Detroit.

Detroit is a fine example of what can happen when you depend on 1% of your population to support 50%+ of your infrastructure. They *can* and *will* pack up and leave and no one will come in to fill the void.

bread's done
Back