Got a bit of an Ebay problem, seeking advice

b4mv

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
So recently, I purchased a TV off ebay, everythingg was running smoothly, I won, I paid with paypal, and he marked it shipped.

A couple of days later, he sends a Close request, saying that he went to shop the box, and they said it was too large to ship via USPS, and that he would either need another 200$, or he would need to close and give me a refund.

I denied the request, saying as soon as I have the refund in my possession, I'll accept the close request.

He marked it shipped on 11/29, and I denied the request to close on 12/1. It's been a week, and I have no reply or anythingg from him.

Should I open a dispute with paypal/ebay? Not really sure what to do at this point.

Yes. Definitely. There are no reasons not to. I've seen disputes opened over lesser disputes.

Hope it works out for ya!

Yeah you definitely should.

Sounds like the guy didnt like the price it sold for(he should have gotten a shipping quote prior to listing the item, especially if hes a regular seller on shaddy bay).

IMO, you should still get the tv for the price you won it at.

Ebay will more than likely fuck him.

hes the seller and eBay loves to fuck thier sellers who arent power or top rated.

Just be patient and keep at those ebay assholes.

I can't open a case with ebay until december 9th. This is irritating. It should be enough that he's admitted he hasn't shipped yet, when he marked that he had shipped a week ago.

All communication has been through eBay, right? If so, you pretty much have an open and shut case. Just open it immediately on Dec 9th.

To the sellers defense USPS does have dimension and weight restrictions.

Also he should have validated this before using them to ship or charge those fees.

Regardless its his mistake on how or what he charges for shipping.

You have a binding contract that shows what you bought it for shipping included.

To this day i dont understand why Ebay or how they come up with the "file a claim dates"

I mean if somebody doesnt pay me for an item i have to wait 4 days to file then 4 more to close the case?

This instance is the same you have to wait like 10 days to notify there is a problem?

What is the size of the TV that it would be 200 additional to ship? Tell him that sucks but its out of your control... had the listing stated 200 dollar shipping, the auction obviously would have closed for less than it did.

File with Paypal.

How big is the TV though?

He could have honestly been telling the truth about shipping costing more, but that's not your problem, and $200 more? That sounds like a LOT.

Isn't an ad's shipping cost binding? I think the only way he can avoid a dispute is to eat the cost and send it for the amount he'd originally quoted.

Yes, everything went through ebay, we haven't talked outside of it. It's actually a 44" TV.

It's an interesting situation, let me lay it all out.

He had originally put it up with a buy it now price of 260, and 30$ shipping. I saw this and messaged him, asking him if he'd take it down and hold it for me. I agreed to do an even 300$ shipped if he did. he agreed, so a couple of days later, he relisted it at 300$ and free shipping. I completed the buy it now, and payed instantly with paypal.

and now, here I am waiting the 10 days to file a dispute.

I don't know why he thought he could ship it for 30$ in the first place, but it's his loss. i'll at least be getting my money back.

I'm assuming that because it is a 44" that it was a flat panel. I had a 42" TV shipped to me from Amazon. I've also shipped a water softener (approximately 2' x 2' x 4' x 100 lbs). UPS may have some qualifications, but they would have shipped that. He definately is trying to screw you. Especially by trying to get you to close the auction before you get your refund. Had you done that you would almost have no recourse despite it being an open/shut case in your favor. You'll get your money back but your not going to get the TV. So if you were planning on that for a Christmas gift you'll have to start looking again.

The guy is a moron for trying to ship a huge TV via USPS. UPS, sure, Fedex, sure, but USPS? No fucking way.

OP, you've done all you can do. You just have to wait now.

[quote name='mtxbass1']The guy is a moron for trying to ship a huge TV via USPS. UPS, sure, Fedex, sure, but USPS? No fucking way.

OP, you've done all you can do. You just have to wait now.[/QUOTE]
I'm just picturing the mailman trying to carry it up the driveway to deliver it :D

[quote name='YodaEXE']I'm just picturing the mailman trying to carry it up the driveway to deliver it :D[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that too. It was a hilarious image. The mailman around here is a little old man.

I really just want my money back at this point, what would be the fastest way to do that? A dispute with paypal? or waiting for ebay?

[quote name='b4mv']I was thinking about that too. It was a hilarious image. The mailman around here is a little old man.

I really just want my money back at this point, what would be the fastest way to do that? A dispute with paypal? or waiting for ebay?[/QUOTE]

Dispute with paypal if you can. If I remember correctly though, they are tied together with the wait time from eBay's point of view...

Ebay bought out paypal several years ago thats why thats the only payment method they take anymore. They do this so they can dip in one pocket as one company and then dip into your other pocket for some more money under a different company name. As mtxbass1 said though their tied together so I'm pretty sure you have to wait to file with one to file with the other sort of thing.

Okay, I went to dispute on paypal, but under the details for the payment for the TV, under shipping status, it says "Refund Pending"

does that mean i'm just waiting for the refund to go through? or should i continue to go through with the dispute?

[quote name='b4mv']Okay, I went to dispute on paypal, but under the details for the payment for the TV, under shipping status, it says "Refund Pending"

does that mean i'm just waiting for the refund to go through? or should i continue to go through with the dispute?[/QUOTE]

You should just call up Paypal dispute and talk to them in person and see what is going on with the status.

And then after that is done, make sure to leave a nasty negative feedback for this moron even if you get a refund, since it's your right to.

But just give Paypal dispute number a call personally to make sure what is going on.

Don't let your guard down and think they'll "take care of it", because the only person that can make sure it'll be taken care of, is if you do it yourself.

Asking for more money after the auction is against eBay policies and illegal.

The price was for item+shipping. It does not matter how he ships the item. Logistics are the seller's responsibility.

bread's done
Back