Got A Bunch Of Classics But No Will To Play Them Helpppp

chubs189

CAGiversary!
whats up everyone i dont usually post or even start new topics but this has been bugging me for a while i use to be the biggest game addict growing up me and my cousin till about 2-3 yrs ago would play everything and beat all games that came our way.now two yrs ago i decided to build up a rpg collection for ps1 since i worked at gamestop.now i know this sounds crazy i wanna play the games i have but i cant sit down to do it i mean i got all the final fantasy,chrono trigger,chrono cross breath of fire 3 dragon warrior 7 parasite eve xenogears all the good but no will to play them.i was wondering if anyone else has gone through this kind of experience.i will be honest i now have a girl friend lol for 3 yrs which might be the reason but i am and always be a gamer.ninja turtles helped me through a few bad moments in my life so games will always be dear to the heart .maybe some one can enlighten me or give me some advice.also i wanna buy some new games too lol but dont get around to doing it i got a psp cause im always on the train.plz help out a old school gamer see the light again.

Everyone goes through this every once in a while, especially people who work video-game retail. Just take a break, and don't try to play anything until you actually want to. Whatever you do, don't sit down and try to force yourself to play; it'll just make you hate it all that much more.

yea i mean i guess i forgot to include this but i now have been working for citibank for 7 months now but i still feel the same way i i guess its not easy you know most of my sparetime is taken up with the misses but i miss my gaming time dearly so many nights playing great games like resident evil 1 -2 cutting school to pick them up you know some great times when i had no worries in the world except was i gonna beat this game sooner than later.

well, i know how you feel somewhat.

I go to school still at a University. I am taking 18 credits per semester. 83.3 % of those are computer science classes. I am at school probably upto 12+ hours a day. I'll be either in class or in the library. By the time I get home my mind and body is so exhausted all I want to do is sit down and maybe watch a little TV before I goto bed (if its not 4 am when I have to get up at 6:30).

Try playing breath of fire 3 and chrono cross again, most of the rest of those games have lots of dead time and are rather long. If that doesn't work pick up an action RPG like drakengard, Star Ocean 3 or Shining Tears and see if you can get into that instead, sometimes typical RPGs get tiring after a while.

I kinda had the same problem as you. Almost exactly, actually. What I've done is started to go way back...back to the time of when I loved gaming. Instead of trying out Star Ocean 3 (a game I bought but rarely played), I purchased an SNES and am now playing some Chrono Trigger. Super Mario World I recently played at a friend's house, and I seemed to play it merely because it was fun.

I don't know. Maybe I don't like gaming anymore? Perhaps the only reason I play anymore is because of the nostalgia the old ones bring me. Regardless, I'm having fun. Hopefully it helps.

A lot of times it's hard to jump right into RPGs after being away from games for a while. Don't play your huge RPGs until you feel the love again. Start small such as with a Mario game. I've always found that Mario 3 puts me in the mood to play other games. If that's still too much move to Mario 1. If the problem isn't with the games themselves it could stem from your relationship which isn't always a bad thing. Possible future partners should always outweigh video games but it shouldn't squelch your desire entirely. Try playing some simple 2-player games with your lady, again Mario is a good example. If she's not into that kind of thing find out if she enjoys watching you play. A lot of girls don't like playing but really enjoy watching their "knight in shining armor" save the princess. If she's up to it play a game that she can play with you without touching the controller, like a puzzle game that she can help you figure out. A good example would be Myst or even some of the newer Zelda games (by newer I mean the N64 games).

I can definately see where an RPG-dominated collection would be hard to work with in a relationship but if you start small you two could take on Final Fantasy 7 by the time the year's over, just let her know you're interested in playing your games more than you have been. If she thinks it's silly remind her how much time and money you've invested into it and compare it to something she's spent a lot of time and money on.

If all else fails or you aren't devoted enough to try these things it could just mean your interests have drifted away from what you used to enjoy. In this case I wouldn't recommend selling your games or purchasing new ones. Everyone who sells their collection ends up regretting it when they crave their old favorites. When that time comes and you get interested again you can continue building your collection but you should never force yourself to buy games you don't want to play in hopes you might one day play them.

-Matt

wow thx alot guys i actually start playing some parasite eve and man im loving it not as challenging at the other rpgs i got but for now its a good start get my engines moving.im actually going on vacation to florida this friday i might take my ps one with me to play some some rpgs while im down there during the night since i prob wont be sleeping anyways.
but thx guys i will take all of your info and keep you posted as to how my rehab is going lol.
p.s super mario rpg is prob my fav of all time for just plan fun and entertaining rpg.
also kinda funny how gino kinda reminds me of vincent from ff7 hmmmm well if any one else has more info plz feel free to leave some .

Heh, don't get too wrapped up in your games while you're there though, I've wasted two trips to Florida on video games. One on Pokemon Silver and the other on Super Smash Bros. I shouldn't say wasted... I spent plenty of time on the beach and all but after supper I generally didn't leave the condo.

nah trust me ima be spending my days in disney and universal no time for games then its gonna be for the night and a few nights ill be visiting family that i know im gonna be bored out of my mind with lol.second time going downthere hopefully it goes well its a vacation well needed. oh yea dont work for citibank as a teller its one ofthe most stressfull jobs its decent pay but the stress and headaches arent worth it.

I have been through this quite a bit. Sometimes I can go weeks with minimal gaming, others I get a strong urge and I'll play games all the time. I found playing one game at a time instead of playing several at once helps me avoid the general gaming burnout.

The best thing that I found works for me is to create an "event" out of game playing. For example, instead of dropping alot of money upgrading to this years NCAA and Madden football games, I am making a new gameplay experience out of last years game. I'm creating a custom player in NCAA and I'm going to play every season until he retires in my Madden franchise, which should be about a combined 19 seasons. In a way, that is like a RPG adventure in itself, and I'm saving a load of money by not upgrading.

i'm fortunate enough to have a girl thats crazy about video games too. although we are apart currently our favorite games are Amped 2, Xmen Legends, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (basically any fighter game)

if you want to hook a girl into video games.. get her the first Midway Arcade Treasures disc and have her play Bubbles or root beer tapper.. she'll start to get addicted that way.. girls like the simple puzzle type games more.. try Bust a Move.. thats always fun for instant action game.. as i grow older i sway from the huge RPGs (even though i still play them occasionally) i like the quicker action simpler games or FPS or fighters more now. i guess my tastes just depend on what looks good at the moment.

I've got piles and piles of RPGs to play too... I think it's becuase an RPG needs so much of your time... it's far too easy to buy enough games to fill several months of your time. When you finally run out of money, you look at your pile and go... damn. I gotta play ALL of these?! (Plus as we get older and have more crap to take care of, sitting around playing games starts to seem a bit like a waste of precious time.)

I'm getting over bly slowly coming to this realization: no, I DONT have to play all of these. Not right away, at least. There's nothing wrong with going a few years down the line, and dusting off 'that ol' PS2' to give Xenosaga a try for the first time. Just relax, you'll play eventually. (Especially when you find that game you've been wanting for years... I'm loving my Suikoden 2! :D )

yea im starting to realize im in no hurry you know its just a got a lot of games laying there and like you guys said it seems like i feel they going to waste just laying there but i have started playing one at a time and now am half way done with parasite eve and once i beat that i plan to play and finish the first wild arms but thx guys for you all your suggestions .

I feel you, man. I can't play RPG's anymore.. it's definitely a genre for people with alot of free time. I just restarted Spider-man 2 again, I can swing pointlessly around New York for halves of hours.

[quote name='Ledhed']Everyone goes through this every once in a while, especially people who work video-game retail. Just take a break, and don't try to play anything until you actually want to. Whatever you do, don't sit down and try to force yourself to play; it'll just make you hate it all that much more.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. It happened to me when I first joined this site. I was getting all of these games and all of the coupon codes to get cheap games and instead of me getting a new game once a month or taking the bus out to the mall to buy used games. I was getting all new games super cheap. Before I would buy a game and beat it. Then I had something happen that never did before I had sealed games stacking up I felt like I had to play. Playing games felt like a chore and lost it's fun. I took a break and did not play games for about 2 weeks or so. Then I gradually got back into them. I now Have no problems and try to play games about 3 hours a day depending on what I got going on.

the funny thing is i recently gave my gamecube to my girlfriend.with some of my games which one of them was legend of zelda wind waker.and i ended up spending the whole time there playing now she wants me to go over after work to help her beat the game aka means ima be beating.

bread's done
Back