Got a monitor problem.

valance

CAGiversary!
I would appreciate any help with this. I have a 19 inch widecscreen HW191D monitor. Had it for about 2 years now, always worked well. Recently, when I turn on my computer, it has a hard time coming on. The computer will start fine, but the monitor stays blank and says "Check Video Cable." At first I would just restart the computer and then the monitor would 'start working' and everything would be fine. Recently though, I have to turn my computer on and off about 6 times to get the monitor to start working. When I restart the comp, there's no problem. And when I turn the comp off for 1 minute (to reset the RAM), it works fine. But whenever it is off for 5 minutes or more, that's when the monitor starts staying blank and reading "Check Video Cable." Of course I've unplugged and replugged everything.

As of right now I leave my comp in standby mode at night, because I'm afraid to turn it off since I might never get it back on again.

Any advice on what the heck is happening and how to resolve it?

edit: since it might matter, I will note that it's a DVI video hookup, and I've run a virus scanner a few times, nothing came up. My video card is the fairly new Nvidea Geforce 8800 GTS, factory overclocked by a small amount (they had a 50 bucks rebate on that). Is this a monitor problem or video card problem? When my computer is working, I have no problems. All the games and programs are fine. It's just that rebooting phase.

Hm uninstalling drivers? I downloaded the newest drivers and installed them. But how do I uninstall the old drivers first? Does that really make a difference?

bread's done
Back