Got kicked out of EB today

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
anyway i tried to buy a few pennied guide. The female cashier simply said she cant sell them (keep in mind at no point she or I mention that they are pennied). I try to reason with her saying I brought them before at this store, that I brought them at another store in the same city, and even ask her to check with her manger. Then she got all piss off and said she had the right to refusee service to anyone and that if i keep arguing she is going to kick me out of the store. I had probelms before with pennied guides, but it never get this bad.

And no there isnt any magazine stand that i can kick.

[quote name='62t']And no there isnt any magazine stand that i can kick.[/quote]

The next best thing is the ol' glitter trick. Simply walk in with a container of the stuff, yell "Glitter, bitches" while dousing the clerk and anyone standing within a 10-foot radius with the particles. Then, you run like hell.

Seriously, though. I almost got denied some penny guides at a Game Crazy yesterday. I convinced the clerk to "sell" them to me after he checked with his manager. They wouldn't give them to me for free, but I had to pay a small donation to some kids' charity.

I had a problem when I got kicked out of the store by the DM i tried to return a used gba game and he said I couldnt the sad part was that he had the return policy sitting by the cash register and i kept trying to explain it to him but he didnt want to listen. So I went to another EB and they returned it with no problem

[quote name='shieryda']The next best thing is the ol' glitter trick. Simply walk in with a container of the stuff, yell "Glitter, bitches" while dousing the clerk and anyone standing within a 10-foot radius with the particles. Then, you run like hell.

Seriously, though. I almost got denied some penny guides at a Game Crazy yesterday. I convinced the clerk to "sell" them to me after he checked with his manager. They wouldn't give them to me for free, but I had to pay a small donation to some kids' charity.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who started the glitter stuff, but you'd be damn lucky not to get the police on you or worse, get your ass kicked by the other customers and employees.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't know who started the glitter stuff, but you'd be damn lucky not to get the police on you or worse, get your ass kicked by the other customers and employees.[/quote]

i believe it was "soodmeg" that started the glitter bitch idea. i think it's hilarious :lol:

Well, they actually are not allowed to sell them at a penny. They mark them at a penny to let employees know they are field destroy. If they actually get put through the system they do not get refunded for them. If you find a someone that will sell them you are lucky. I sure as hell wouldnt risk getting in trouble/written up/fired if I worked at eb, just so you could get a cheap guide.

Wow, that's a bit too far. I know I went to the EB in Queens mall, and I tried to buy a penny guide for Psychonauts. The girl did an override and asked me for $10.82, and I said 'no, that's okay, I don't want it.'. She then started to get almost abusive with me, since she knew it was a penny and started to hassle me and ask me questions. I just walked out.

[quote name='shieryda']Seriously, though. I almost got denied some penny guides at a Game Crazy yesterday. I convinced the clerk to "sell" them to me after he checked with his manager. They wouldn't give them to me for free, but I had to pay a small donation to some kids' charity.[/QUOTE]

How do you know if the money really went to some kids' charity instead of their booze and weed fund?

penny guides should be destroyed, that is correct. But it is their job to get them off the floor.

at TRU, I have never refused to sell a penny guide to someone. why? because it is my job to make sure they aren't there in the first place. if a customer gets to a guide before I can destroy it, then I am not doing my job as well as I should. most places get memos about what is going down to a penny before, so it's never like "oh wow this is a penny, can't sell this to you". things like this are known in advance.

what i dont appericate is that she lied to me. she claimed that there is a new memo saying not to sell them. Complete bull as i brought them at another EB. Plus I the manager let me brough them before and she refuse to even confirm it with her. I did thought of seeing what she will do if i refuse to leave, but that doesnt seems to worth of trouble.

[quote name='62t']what i dont appericate is that she lied to me. she claimed that there is a new memo saying not to sell them. Complete bull as i brought them at another EB. Plus I the manager let me brough them before and she refuse to even confirm it with her. I did thought of seeing what she will do if i refuse to leave, but that doesnt seems to worth of trouble.[/QUOTE]

She did not lie to you at all. They are told by corporate not to sell them. The other EB you bought them at actually did what they were not supposed to.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']How do you know if the money really went to some kids' charity instead of their booze and weed fund?[/quote]

I physically put the money into the donation box, so I'm going back there tonight to see if it's still there. If it's not, I'm going raise hell and call the Starlight Foundation to report them...

I always wondered about this penny guide nonsense, why not dumpster dive for them in the middle of the night all Solid Snake like? Then you'll get them for FREE! Imagine the CAG rep you'll get for that.

Go back and ask for an expensive sealed game from behind the counter, if they have a big glass case like most EBgames I've seen then when they open it up throw a big handful of lotion soaked pink glitter inside and run.

There problem solved.

[quote name='Francis']I always wondered about this penny guide nonsense, why not dumpster dive for them in the middle of the night all Solid Snake like? Then you'll get them for FREE! Imagine the CAG rep you'll get for that.[/quote]

And the infection of rabies when the racoons bite your ass.

[quote name='62t']what i dont appericate is that she lied to me. she claimed that there is a new memo saying not to sell them. Complete bull as i brought them at another EB. Plus I the manager let me brough them before and she refuse to even confirm it with her. I did thought of seeing what she will do if i refuse to leave, but that doesnt seems to worth of trouble.[/QUOTE]

Maybe rather then bitching about some penny guides, you should perhaps invest in a writing tutor.

[quote name='jPoD']Maybe rather then bitching about some penny guides, you should perhaps invest in a writing tutor.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='Francis']I always wondered about this penny guide nonsense, why not dumpster dive for them in the middle of the night all Solid Snake like? Then you'll get them for FREE! Imagine the CAG rep you'll get for that.[/quote]

Sounds like a plan, but I think they usually rip them up before they throw them away. :/

[quote name='62t']
And no there isnt any magazine stand that i can kick.[/QUOTE]

That was honestly going to be the first question I asked. I'm glad you're thinking in that mind set.

[quote name='Francis']I always wondered about this penny guide nonsense, why not dumpster dive for them in the middle of the night all Solid Snake like? Then you'll get them for FREE! Imagine the CAG rep you'll get for that.[/QUOTE]
Dumpster diving is fine if it's a paper-only dumpster and you don't mind (at best) a guide with no cover. Unless it goes in a compactor as sp00ge says.

[quote name='sp00ge']At TRU, we have to tear them in half and throw them in the compactor.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this concept. Why the hell would they rather destroy them entirely than reduce them to a reasonable price and at least break even?

fucking stupid.

This wants me to work at a game store so I can just take one copy of each guide before they get destroyed.

You should have taken them back and resorted them back on the shelf where you found them. Stick it to the EBSTOP

Been there done that :)

[quote name='Skexis']I don't understand this concept. Why the hell would they rather destroy them entirely than reduce them to a reasonable price and at least break even?

fucking stupid.[/quote]

Like already said, once they're pennied, any UNSOLD inventory gets credited back. If we sold 5 at full price and ended up selling 2 at a penny, the store has to pay the cost of 7 of them. They COULD give them away, but I believe there is a rule from the distributor against doing that.

The local eb/gs store by will let you buy pennied out items (if you can find any) if and only if, you buy something else. Makes sense to me, I'll pick up a $5 used game so the employee doesnt have to ring up a transaction for .01.

[quote name='cyrix`']This wants me to work at a game store so I can just take one copy of each guide before they get destroyed.[/quote]

Easier said than done. At my store, when the manager tells to you destroy them, you destroy them. I've tried talking them into letting take one of each to no avail. Sneaking them out is just like stealing to them.

[quote name='rodeojones903']She did not lie to you at all. They are told by corporate not to sell them. The other EB you bought them at actually did what they were not supposed to.[/QUOTE]

Yep... I actually noticed it's alot harder here to find guides that are pennied at EB / GS this go around then last time.

A friend of mine finally got lucky, but this is after the 10th or so EB / GS we hit in the span of a week. I just bought / traded what I wanted from other CAG's so I didn't have to go through the hassle.

I'm tempted to just buy that World of Warcraft artbook for full price, since it will be a pain in the ass to hunt down at a penny. The gas prices alone justify a full price buy.

[quote name='jPoD']Maybe rather then bitching about some penny guides, you should perhaps invest in a writing tutor.[/QUOTE]
i wrote that in a hurry.

Also she used one of the excuse I am starting to hear everytime time now, the "you will sell this on ebay." I am sure what i do with my purchase is none of your business.

[quote name='62t']i wrote that in a hurry.

Also she used one of the excuse I am starting to hear everytime time now, the "you will sell this on ebay." I am sure what i do with my purchase is none of your business.[/QUOTE]

I don't know... I think most stores are pretty strict about selling to "dealers." I remember some ad's with good prices always say stuff like "limit 3 to a customer, please, no dealers".

I guess their reasoning is that if you want to sell it, you should go through the hoops like they do to get the product, instead of using EB to finance your business.

Here's what I don't get. If they aren't supposed to sell the guides for a penny, why don't they make sure that the guides are taken off the floor so that no one can even make the attempt at purchasing them? What if someone legitimately wanted the guide, and they refused to sell it?

[quote name='spmahn']Here's what I don't get. If they aren't supposed to sell the guides for a penny, why don't they make sure that the guides are taken off the floor so that no one can even make the attempt at purchasing them? What if someone legitimately wanted the guide, and they refused to sell it?[/QUOTE]

If someone legitimately wants to buy the guide, 3 things can happen.

1) The Gamestop / EB employee raises the price back up to what the original price was, and sells it to the customer, who is uninformed and dosen't know better.

2) The Gamestop / EB employee refuses to sell it, saying it's been pennied... arguing with them will most likely get you the "its still possible to buy it at full price" routine.

3) The Gamestop/ EB employee is cool, realizes it was out on the shelf by mistake, tells you its your lucky day, and lets you take it.

Why are these guides still on the shelf? The majority of EB / GS employees are lazy. I believe that if they are too lazy to pull it, then they need to honor it and sell it for the price it comes up as.

The worst part about guides getting pennied is that it's pretty much the last time you'll ever see that guide again. It's either full price, or nothing at all. I've started buying a few RPG guides at close to full price or whenever I find a deal so I don't have to deal with this BS.

[quote name='spmahn']Here's what I don't get. If they aren't supposed to sell the guides for a penny, why don't they make sure that the guides are taken off the floor so that no one can even make the attempt at purchasing them? What if someone legitimately wanted the guide, and they refused to sell it?[/quote]

Exactly... if they messed up and left it out on the floor, they should eat the loss on ONE copy. I'm not sure about other TRU's, but this goes for my store. Too bad it doesn't apply to employees. :(

kicking over magazine racks, glitterings, dumpster diving, all for a penny guide...damn. The magazine and gliter thing would be fun if I was under 18 but since I am 28 I risk jail time, getting sued, and loosing my job :|

[quote name='sp00ge']Exactly... if they messed up and left it out on the floor, they should eat the loss on ONE copy. I'm not sure about other TRU's, but this goes for my store. Too bad it doesn't apply to employees. :([/QUOTE]

I once hit up a TRU a week after the guides dropped, and they still had TONS of copies on the shelf. I brought up one of each, the manager came over and just freaked out over them and how they absolutely couldn't sell them.

All I responded with was that "If you can't sell them, maybe you should have pulled the 7 + copies of each guide a week ago when they turned into a penny" and walked out.

I don't mind they can't sell them, but to make a huge deal out of the guides when they never bothered to pull them, that makes me angry.

[quote name='depascal22']I still think it's ridiculous that these all get destroyed instead of being given away. What a waste of perfectly good paper.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but by being "destroyed", the stores are getting credited back. It's more important for EB / Gamestop to get this credit, then it is Best Buy, who dosen't really care at all and has numerous other ways to pull in profit.

What also sucks is that I wish these guides would come out cheaper then $16.99 - $19.99, but I guess they sell good enough at that price, espically the RPG guides.

[quote name='Roufuss']I once hit up a TRU a week after the guides dropped, and they still had TONS of copies on the shelf. I brought up one of each, the manager came over and just freaked out over them and how they absolutely couldn't sell them.

All I responded with was that "If you can't sell them, maybe you should have pulled the 7 + copies of each guide a week ago when they turned into a penny" and walked out.

I don't mind they can't sell them, but to make a huge deal out of the guides when they never bothered to pull them, that makes me angry.[/quote]

I picked up 4 copies of F-zero GX guide soon after I started there, when I was unaware of the whole penny issue. Nobody ever said a thing about it, and besides, I didn't know any better. I've since run across numerous penny guides that hadn't been pulled, but took the liberty of pulling myself. I don't handle the video game department, even though I should, since my knowledge of them far exceeds anyone else in the store.

And I think my store manager has some ethics when it comes to customer service. If he knows we were at fault, then we'll take the hit instead of having one more angry customer. I guess that's why we're one of the high-ranking stores in the country, despite being one of the smallest.

I was banned from EB for writing "same as last year" on all their Madden titles in permanent marker and putting them in the section I marked as "Gaymes".

[quote name='spmahn']Here's what I don't get. If they aren't supposed to sell the guides for a penny, why don't they make sure that the guides are taken off the floor so that no one can even make the attempt at purchasing them? What if someone legitimately wanted the guide, and they refused to sell it?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes stores are notified as soon as they open and are unable to pullthem before people like us come in to buy them. I know when I worked at Game Crazy we woldn't get price updates until we opened the store. By that time I'm still counting the tills, putting games away etc.

You'd think they would come up with a better system to notify personnel to destroy something than to make the price a penny. Shouldn't they make it a million bucks so that even if they don't get to it at the beginning of a shift, no one will want to buy it anyway? It seems like they just invite people to try and buy it for the penny.

[quote name='depascal22']You'd think they would come up with a better system to notify personnel to destroy something than to make the price a penny. Shouldn't they make it a million bucks so that even if they don't get to it at the beginning of a shift, no one will want to buy it anyway? It seems like they just invite people to try and buy it for the penny.[/QUOTE]

That's just the way the inventory system is set up. You can't price something for $0, so a penny is the next best thing.

The procedure is to take them off the floor, rip off the front cover, and hold them in the back for the DM to sign off on them, and give you permission to throw them out. Since most stores don't follow the rules, people think every store allows this.

bread's done
Back