Got my Repaired DS Lite today and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

notoriousrcn

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
It's a brand new model! I received it today and it took about two weeks after me shipping it in to get it back. I had the left hinge crack problem, and they just exchanged my old one out for a new one :)

The cost (had it not been covered by Nintendo) came out to be $82.50 but thanks to their great customer support, I didn't even have to pay to ship it in :)

I highly recommend that anyone with ANY cracks on the DS Lite to give the big N a call and take advantage of this :)

[quote name='notoriousrcn']It's a brand new model! I received it today and it took about two weeks after me shipping it in to get it back. I had the left hinge crack problem, and they just exchanged my old one out for a new one :)

The cost (had it not been covered by Nintendo) came out to be $82.50 but thanks to their great customer support, I didn't even have to pay to ship it in :)

I highly recommend that anyone with ANY cracks on the DS Lite to give the big N a call and take advantage of this :)[/QUOTE]

$82.50??!?!?

WTF the thing is suppose to be covered under warrenty by the big N for a year.. the cracks are a manufacturing error. Nintendo HAS to fix this for free or else they get bad press which they do not need so close to the launch of the WII which could hurt them because of this. If Nintendo outright refuses to fix the cracked ds problems, they can face a serious class action lawsuit.

Although you got it free to replace, the fact that they showed you the bill for it was a slap in the face. Congrads never the less, but can you post a scan of that bill?

[quote name='ITDEFX']$82.50??!?!?

WTF the thing is suppose to be covered under warrenty by the big N for a year.. the cracks are a manufacturing error. Nintendo HAS to fix this for free or else they get bad press which they do not need so close to the launch of the WII which could hurt them because of this. If Nintendo outright refuses to fix the cracked ds problems, they can face a serious class action lawsuit.

Although you got it free to replace, the fact that they showed you the bill for it was a slap in the face. Congrads never the less, but can you post a scan of that bill?[/QUOTE]

Geez guy... clam down. He got it fixed for free like Nintendo promised didn't he?:lol:

Nintendo's customer service does kick ass and I'm glad you got your system back fast.:)

[quote name='ITDEFX']WTF the thing is suppose to be covered under warrenty by the big N for a year...the fact that they showed you the bill for it was a slap in the face. Congrads never the less, but can you post a scan of that bill?[/quote]

1. It IS covered. There is no "supposed to be".

2. The bill invoice is for accounting purposes. They can't write it off as a loss if they don't at least invoice the bill for the correct amount before zero-adjusting. (Now we'll be able to know how much of a monetary loss they take because of their little crack problem)

My scanner is down but the "Consumer Repair Invoice" states:

NINTENDO DS LT POLR WHITE ASSY USG
Serial # XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX exchanged with new serial # XXXXXXXXXXX
AMOUNT 75.00

REPAIR TOTAL
AMOUNT 75.00

SHIPPING
AMOUNT 7.50

ADJUSTMENTS
AMOUNT 82.50-

BALANCE DUE
AMOUNT .00

I don't mind getting an invoice, if anything I've got it on record just in case the new model starts cracking as well.

Plus, Nintendo didn't HAVE to agree to repair all of these models for free. They could have been complete assholes about it, and it's kind of nice to know that they'll take a 82.50 hit just to keep their consumers happy.

[quote name='notoriousrcn']Plus, Nintendo didn't HAVE to agree to repair all of these models for free. They could have been complete assholes about it, and it's kind of nice to know that they'll take a 82.50 hit just to keep their consumers happy.[/QUOTE]

True. They could have been like Sony.
My two DS Lites are fine. 1 Japanese 1 American. No cracks, nothing.

are you guys carrying them in your pockets? i can't understand where the cracks are coming from. i've seen pictures of the hinge-cracks, but how does it come about?

The first thing I did when I bought my DS fat is spend the extra money buying a cover case for it. Its been a good investment as it protects my ds well.. Now the screen covers do gather dust very easy so you gotta becareful.

I haven't had any situation where my Nintendo products have broken down so I haven't had to deal with CS. But from what I hear its better then dealing with the CS from Sony and MS.

Mine just appeared too. Literally, it was fine one day and the next, there it was. I take good care of mine too.

What's Nintendo's number? I need to call.

Although I don't know if I can go 2-3 weeks without my DS. What'll happen to my Animal Crossing town??

[quote name='gizmogc']True. They could have been like Sony.
My two DS Lites are fine. 1 Japanese 1 American. No cracks, nothing.[/QUOTE]

Sony used to offer free repairs/exchanges of PS2 with DREs, but they don't anymore.

[quote name='keithp']Mine just appeared too. Literally, it was fine one day and the next, there it was. I take good care of mine too.

[/quote]

1-800-255-3700

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Sony used to offer free repairs/exchanges of PS2 with DREs, but they don't anymore.[/quote]

If I remember right the free repair's for DRE's was the result of a class action law suit filed against Sony for defects in the PS2 that caused the laser to wear out too soon. Sony settled and offered to repair PS2's for free for a set period of time, and now that time is up which is why they charge you now.

[quote name='keithp']Mine just appeared too. Literally, it was fine one day and the next, there it was. I take good care of mine too.

Although I don't know if I can go 2-3 weeks without my DS. What'll happen to my Animal Crossing town??[/QUOTE]

MY thoughts exactly. Mine just suddenly appeared. I take good care of it, and I have a case for it. Although, I did get Resetta in animal crossing for the first time the other day, and then this crack appears. Maybe that fucking groundhog did it.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Sony used to offer free repairs/exchanges of PS2 with DREs, but they don't anymore.[/quote]

They repaired mine for free 4 months ago

[quote name='m0dem']They repaired mine for free 4 months ago[/QUOTE]

You got lucky, I needed one repaired early this year and they said it would cost $40.

Just checked and mine now has the crack as well. Checked mine when this story first broke a few weeks ago and it was fine. I really don't feel like being without my lite for a couple weeks so I think I'll just deal with it. Maybe I'll call them about it in a couple months if I run out of games and/or switch over to playing mostly consoles.

I wonder if more and more lites are going to crack as time goes on? Maybe it's just a matter of time with the early lites as you open and close it to play?

[quote name='mcpeepants']what the graveyard resurrection... ?[/QUOTE]
Call it a crazy hunch, but I think the person who bumped this thread just happens to work for that site/shop, hence the names being similar.;)

Moreover, it seems like the only time they really post is to shill for their own repair site.

I never had a DS Lite crack, however the top screen on mine started showing lines in it, I sold it on ebay for $40 bought a DSi on sale on BF 2010 and haven't looked back since.

When my hinge cracked, mine was out of warranty so I just got a replacement plastic shell off Amazon and transferred the guts of the system over to that myself. Made a nice little project and was cheaper than Ninty fixing it without warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back