Got my Xbox today

Smell

CAGiversary!
Its A pretty good system i have my ps2-Xbox -combo which is nice. anyway i bought it at gamestop and asked for a used one the guy was like we dont have any used systems. im like hey whats that behind u (a used Xbox) Store guy: why thats an Xbox
me: ok i will buy that
Store Guy: no you cant u must buy a refurbished one this is broken
me: why did u wrap it and slap the price tag onto it
Store guy: thats display only

the guy made me get a refurbished system for 10 dollars more so i got it for 130

damn man kool you got an xbox but i would of just bought a new one...i would never buy a refurbished/used system. but thats just me

I bought a used xbox from gamestop.com and it the hard drive was broken so I exchanged it and that got one with a broken disc drive. So i just gave in and bought a new one.

I'd stay away from refurbed/used/returned systems. They're kinda risky and you never know what may be wrong with them.

Since the price difference between a used and a new is so little, you're better off just paying the extra few dollars and getting yourself a new system.

With so many people trading in non-working Xboxes lately, I'd be leary of buying a used one. Often, the machines will boot up and even play certain games, so it easily slips past the 'testing' that stores do.

I hope you enjoy the power of X. Mainly Halo though. Yeah, lots of Halo... Maybe some Crimson Skies, or Midtown Madness 3, or Metal Arms, or Ninja Gaiden, or Fable/Halo 2 this fall, or then again... just play lots of multiplayer Halo!!!

Sweet. I just got my Xbox on Sat. I can't play it yet, though; have to pay for my mission trip first. The only reason I got it was b/c it was the Halo version, so my parents paid for it and then I have to pay them back after I pay for my mission trip. (Yes, its complicated). SO basically, I have Halo beckoning me but I can't answer. I even got Metal Arms: Glitch too. Oohhh, this is painful.....

Yeah I just got my Xbox today and was looking at a used one from Gamers (my local trade in center) and they had used Xbox's for $135 so I just decided to dish out an extra 15 and get the new one, and man I LOVE IT!

I got my Xbox 1 year and 9 months ago and I just got a Game Cube about 2 weeks ago. Xbox Live is great so you should try to get a 2 month free trial to see how you like it.

I bought my Xbox on January 31, 2001. The CompUSA cashier asked me to buy their 2 year warranty plans, but since none of my previous consoles, (SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64) ever had a problem, I decided that I didn't need it. Well turns out 2 years and ONE day later after I bought my Xbox, on a faithful February 1, 2004 (which was a recent few months ago..), I was playing NFL Fever 2004 on Season Mode. Anyways, during a game, my Xbox had a system error (#12) at boot, and died out. Irony isn't it. :x

I know it wasn't the DvD tray that broke because I would've never misused it (I keep my Xbox in the glass shelf next to my TV), and there were no signs of dust in there.. So I guess the cable in there faulted or burned out by itself. Its either bad luck, but lately, some of my friends too had a similar DvD error. I had a fine working Thompson drive. To my memory, only times it bugged out was startup in Fuzion Frenzy, and a system crash in MGS2. It was minor.

Nowadays, its not safe to buy a preowned Xbox. Just go with a little more cash investment into it. Todays retail Xboxes are mostly ones with either Philips or non faulty Samsung Drives.

So anyways, I bought a new Xbox about a month later at Costco. It was the Xbox package with a extra DvD remote (now I have 3 in total..), 2 controller S, and the Tetris/SW: CW Bundle.

I hope you would have learned a lesson or know the moral from my story...

The differences between used and refurbished is very defined, although the stores don't seem to let people know about it. A used system is one that's been traded in by someone and all the store does is check if it boots up and starts a game. There really is no testing. The previous owner could've done anything to it, dropped it, kicked it, breathed on it wrong, but as long as it gets through those first few minutes then its cool.

Now, a refurbed system is one that had a malfunction right out of the box and was returned to the store and then sent back to Microsoft for repair. They fix the system and everything else put into package is brand new, controller and all. I've had one for a year and had absolutely no problems.

I have recently heard of EB doing their own refurbishings. I'm not ragging on their capabilities on fixing systems, but the best way to go is to get a company fixed system. It's in the plain black box at EB and their EB refurbs are in a green, used, Xbox box that just says refurbished. Now that I have explained that, go get Outlaw Volleyball so I have someone to play with online.

Congrats on getting the Xbox. I'm not going to rag on new, used, or refurbished. I just hope you enjoy it. It's been my favorite system for a long time. Hope you have broadband so you can at least try xbox live. If you need a 2-month code, just PM me I'll be happy to give you one of the many I have.

I just got a halo edition box on sunday. picked up panzer dragoon with it and almost got that done. what else should i play on this thing? (already done KOTOR and halo on PC months ago)

[quote name='Scotty P']I just got a halo edition box on sunday. picked up panzer dragoon with it and almost got that done. what else should i play on this thing? (already done KOTOR and halo on PC months ago)[/quote]

I'd check out Gamespot.com and do a search by review score.

Well, i got a refurb specifically because i was interested in modding it, and MS has done a good job of pulling older new systems off the shelves, and the newest revision of the motherboard in the xbox is not yet moddable.

So I got a refurb from gamestop, and its in an official MS refurb box and according to most experts the system is 95 percent new. Heck, I'm gunna be experimenting with the damn thing anyways, so 20 bucks less is definitely a plus.

Refurbs are cool.

[quote name='Smell']Its A pretty good system i have my ps2-Xbox -combo which is nice. anyway i bought it at gamestop and asked for a used one the guy was like we dont have any used systems. im like hey whats that behind u (a used Xbox) Store guy: why thats an Xbox

the guy made me get a refurbished system for 10 dollars more so i got it for 130[/quote]

If you have an FYE around, until June 30th they have a $30MIR... a NEW Xbox for $120...

I'd take that refurb back if you can.

[quote name='Smell']Its A pretty good system i have my ps2-Xbox -combo which is nice. anyway i bought it at gamestop and asked for a used one the guy was like we dont have any used systems. im like hey whats that behind u (a used Xbox) Store guy: why thats an Xbox

the guy made me get a refurbished system for 10 dollars more so i got it for 130[/quote]

Should have gone 2 FYE. You could have gotten a new 1 for that price!!

for 150 i would have just bought a brand new xbox. refurbished suck. i mean if u could get it for 100-110 then fine but 130 damn thats like buying a used game for 45 when a new one is 50

I have a refurb that's been fine for a year and a half now.

But that's when Xboxes were like $179 and refurbs were $129. These days I'd probably just buy the new one.

Dude(s) congrats on your new Buy :D

I recomend highly this games: Halo(even if you have it on PC 8) ), KOTOR, absolutely :arrow: :arrow: Ninja Gaiden, Counter-Strike, PGR2, RSC2.....

If you need more(cause they are) tell me :wink:

Used games are all right, but I wouldn't want to get a used system. I'd rather pay the extra few dollars and get one new.

bread's done
Back