GPS w/ Lifetime Map or Lifetime Traffic Updates???

cruzfactor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
What do you guys think is more important??? Maps or Traffic??? I'm want to buy a GPS unit, but I'm wondering which one is more important. Some units come with both, but the ones in my price range usually come w/ one or the other.

I thought they always updated the maps but I guess I'm wrong there. Since maps will probably be outdated half the time anyways, part of me wants to say go for the traffic updates. Never know when there's gonna be an accident on the road that'll slow you down somewhere. But on the other hand, unless you live or travel in/near a city a lot, I don't know how useful the traffic updates would be really.

A lot of times you can get deals that include both so just shop around and wait for one of those. Amazon has them with both from time to time.

And yeah, JStryke, neither TomTom or Garmin do free map updates. You pay for an update or a lifetime updates for the life of the unit--or look for a deal with them included.

I think TomTom may have done free map updates a few years back, but not any more. I'm not sure about the other companies besides them or Garmin.

Well you got to do your research to see which company has frequent/accurate map updates. There is TONS of new construction going on with roads being cut off/rerouted and because it only last a few days/weeks, I don't see them updating the maps for this area anytime soon. Honestly traffic updates aren't that accurate (at least from the Garmin standpoint). Had way too many times where it would tell me severe traffic alert and by the time I get to that area, there was nothing or the delay was non existent. It's correct about 1 out of 4 times :( That's not good. Free map updates is good, but it shouldn't be tied to the device, more like the account considering how they release new models every year so that's how they make their money.

check this site out

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/

I bought a Garmin Nuvi but didn't do my homework. You have to pay for lifetime map updates $100. What a bunch of bullshit. And WTF can't they just update it via satellite? You need an SD or mini SD card. I'd have to buy a card reader for my computer. How do built in GPS's in cars update?

I've had problems getting lost when I tried the shortest distance metric too. And for some reason, it doesn't give some addresses.

I have a Garmin and like stated above me, it costs around $100 to get a lifetime update. Though ever since going smartphone, my Droid's google maps update itself all the time so I just use that now instead of the Garmin.

[quote name='2DMention']I bought a Garmin Nuvi but didn't do my homework. You have to pay for lifetime map updates $100. What a bunch of bullshit. And WTF can't they just update it via satellite? You need an SD or mini SD card. I'd have to buy a card reader for my computer. How do built in GPS's in cars update?

I've had problems getting lost when I tried the shortest distance metric too. And for some reason, it doesn't give some addresses.[/QUOTE]

Yea the files for maps are HUGE :( It's understandable since it has like almost everyone road, street address, and so on in it's database. I really wish they would sell by region or by state if you mostly travel in your state. But they are there to make money so the ball is in their court. Honestly 100 dollars is cheap compared to the time and money used for them to update their maps. Although some map updates still don't have correct data (like if a store closes down, it's still in their database). I just don't like how it's tied to that device only.

[quote name='lordopus99']I have a Garmin and like stated above me, it costs around $100 to get a lifetime update. Though ever since going smartphone, my Droid's google maps update itself all the time so I just use that now instead of the Garmin.[/QUOTE]

Yea I have played around with it and it's neat...my concern is if you don't have it plugged into a steady power supply, it's gonna drain your battery quick.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Yea I have played around with it and it's neat...my concern is if you don't have it plugged into a steady power supply, it's gonna drain your battery quick.[/QUOTE]

That is true but GPS also drain pretty good if not plugged in. I personally leave a phone car charger in my car for that very reason.

[quote name='lordopus99']That is true but GPS also drain pretty good if not plugged in. I personally leave a phone car charger in my car for that very reason.[/QUOTE]

LoL even the GPS maker recognizes this as they tell you in the instructions how to replace the fuse.

All that said, I've had my Garmin Nuvi 200w since 2007 and have never updated the maps and seldom have any problems.

If there's no road designs you may get a bit of run around or taken a long way around, but you'll get where you're going if you have the address to put in manually. Points of interest can get outdated if a store moves etc. and thus take you to the wrong place.

[quote name='2DMention']LoL even the GPS maker recognizes this as they tell you in the instructions how to replace the fuse.[/QUOTE]

argh..my gps charger adapter blows its fuse every time I take it out of the port, so I have to bring extra fuses :(

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never had a fuse blow in a car a/c adapter. *knocks on wood*[/QUOTE]

Lucky you... I told garmin this but they will only take back the GPS unit, not the a/c adapter :(

I've had my tomtom since 2007. Never bought a map update. When I took the daughter to the dentist (that was built in 2010) tomtom couldnt find it but it got me close enough and I could see it from the street.

Finding new restaurants is problematic and tomtom still can't search for specific retail stores (walmart,target, freddys, etc) unless they have a pharmacy.

Yeah, the key for those is to just jot down the address and punch it in. As long as it's not on a new street you can find it as the address was probably there before, and if not it will get you close enough that you can find it.

LOL some of the stories I've had with my first year with my garmin...let me tell you lol.

Things like having it take me to the nearest borders book store but ended up taking me to someone else's house! Or trying to take me to an AMC theater but in actuality taking me 5 miles away from the actual location! Was almost late to the 7pm showing of Star Trek!

Yeah, like I said, I've gotten away from relying on the points of interest too much and just jotting down addresses and putting them in.

Only time I use the points of interest is if I'm out of town and want to see what there is to eat around etc. Locally I'll jot down the restuarant address if I don't know where it is and just punch that into the Garmin.

[quote name='2DMention']I never use it for points of interest either unless I'm on vacation or something.

I always punch in the address.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it won't even let you put in the address as it's not in it's database :bomb:

True, that I seldom run into though. And usually you can just put a naturally close street number and get close enough. i.e. if 1275 Broad St isn't in there, try 1250 or 1200 etc.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Sometimes it won't even let you put in the address as it's not in it's database :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I've had that happen. It doesn't tell you if it doesn't have the address, it just takes you somewhere close.

True, that I seldom run into though. And usually you can just put a naturally close street number and get close enough. i.e. if 1275 Broad St isn't in there, try 1250 or 1200 etc.

That doesn't work in St. Paul, where the streets are all fucked up and split up and you can't just drive down the street until the numbers go down.

Tom Tom charges for it's map updates but everything is updated through the unit self via USB with map files you download. Although my Tom Tom has this annoying problem where it will just random fucking turn on whenever it wants. Seriously it turned on at 2:30 the one night and scared the shit out of me.

The Garmin's can update through USB via the internet as well now. You can buy an updated maps card, or just by the lifetime subscription and download them each year (or just buy a years--but it costs so much yearly you might as well get the lifetime as you'll save money if you update 2 times or more).

The biggest problem with any type of navigation system is how often it's updated. I tried finding a restaurant with google maps on my phone and even though the place has been there at least a year, it couldn't find it. It could find the address however, but in satellite view the building isn't there. My garmin can't find things either sometimes, but using the address usually works.

Yeah, there will never be a perfect navigation system as the world is changing all the time with new roads, new buildings etc. and it's impossible to keep any map system completely updated.

I wouldn't go back to not having one though. It was a pain having to print mapquest directions to everything in the past, or for older generations with having to have city maps and manually look up the directions or get directions from someone etc.

Yeah a few years ago I traveled to Ohio to visit family and only had a Rand McNally folding map. That was fun, even more fun was trying to fold the damn thing back up.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Tom Tom charges for it's map updates but everything is updated through the unit self via USB with map files you download. Although my Tom Tom has this annoying problem where it will just random fucking turn on whenever it wants. Seriously it turned on at 2:30 the one night and scared the shit out of me.[/QUOTE]

whoa... maybe it was trying to communicate with the satellite for new instructions! :|

Both of our Garmin's randomly reboot for no reason while in use. It's pissing my gf off.

Do I need a GPS w/ an expandable memory slot (SD card)? Some units don't have it, and I"m wondering if I ever have to worry about space issues?

[quote name='ITDEFX']whoa... maybe it was trying to communicate with the satellite for new instructions! :|

Both of our Garmin's randomly reboot for no reason while in use. It's pissing my gf off.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's a bug with the Tom Tom firmware. I did some searching and it's a known problem with no fix. The only real thing you can do is make sure the map route is clear before you turn it off so it doesn't start talking at 2:30 am.

Generally the higher model numbers have more features like lane assist, blue tooth for phone calls, traffic receiver built in etc.

But I've seen some lower model numbers with most of those features so it may not be that cut and dry.

bread's done
Back