Gran Turismo 5 Prolgue Preorder $39.99 @ GS

Hmmm..... I thought $39.99 was going to be MSRP.... since its "Prologue" and not a full-on GT5. Circuit City lists $39.99 too.

When Prologue came out in Japan last month, the game cost about $42 (as per the exchange rate at the time). So I'm thinking Gamestop's price is correct. That said, TRU also lists it for $59.99, so who knows.

It's probably a good idea to pre-order it from CC or GS/EB just in case Sony tries to stick us.

Not to threadcrap, but yes, it is an extended demo.

It's been available in Japan for some time now, and players are reporting screen tearing, slowdown, and other graphical glitches that are not usually in the series.

One returning feature, AI drivers that seem to drive along a pre-engineered path, that are oblivious to other players. :(

Edit: 37 Cars, 10 circuits, biggest change in an in-car view that is supposed to be especially lovely.

Like the other gran turismo's before it, Prologue is about 1/4th of the actual Gran Turismo 5. It has something like 40ish cars, 16 tracks? Essentially, like captainfrizo said, it is an extended demo. However, it has 16 player online, and runs at 1080p at 60fps. it's a decent price and is better than most racers out there already, but i think i'm just going to wait a few months and get the full gran turismo 5.

Thanks for explaining what exactly the Prologue is. I can't justify paying $40 for the glorified demo (online or not) and then another $60 or so on the finished product.

Not a deal. Sony keeps asking us to pay for the same game, and in this case a demo. No, I don't have to buy it, and neither should you. Only then will Sony stop trying this crap over again. I guess enough people bought the last few prologues as well...

Yeah, $39.99 is going to be the MSRP on this one.

Most games in Japan are 6800 Yen and up, this one was released at 4800 Yen.

Soon Amazon will change theirs down to $39.99 and then you can order there and get no tax (unless you are in a few states) and free super saver shipping.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if CC does a "Buy GT5 Prologue get GT4 Free" deal...could happen

I can’t believe that people will actually pay for this. Paying $40 (66% of total cost) for 37 cars and 5 tracks (estimated less than 20% of final game; final game will have 340 cars) in form of a demo is ridiculous. Some of my favorite games are racing games but no way in hell will I pay for this. I doubt anyone who does pay up can truly consider themselves a CheapAssGamer yet alone turn around and complain about the expensive cost of downloadable content. Buy hey, to each his own.

[quote name='CyberTrick']I can’t believe that people will actually pay for this. Paying $40 (66% of total cost) for 37 cars and 5 tracks (estimated less than 20% of final game; final game will have 340 cars) in form of a demo is ridiculous. Some of my favorite games are racing games but no way in hell will I pay for this. I doubt anyone who does pay up can truly consider themselves a CheapAssGamer yet alone turn around and complain about the expensive cost of downloadable content. Buy hey, to each his own.[/quote]
I bought the Japanese BD version, and I've put more hours into it than most of my other PS3 games.

It just depends on how big of a GT nut you are. It's a great way to show off your PS3 though, and friends can jump into arcade mode for a quick run and whatnot.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Not to threadcrap, but yes, it is an extended demo.

It's been available in Japan for some time now, and players are reporting screen tearing, slowdown, and other graphical glitches that are not usually in the series.

One returning feature, AI drivers that seem to drive along a pre-engineered path, that are oblivious to other players. :(

Edit: 37 Cars, 10 circuits, biggest change in an in-car view that is supposed to be especially lovely.[/quote]

At least someone here has some sense. I am not throwing $40 at Sony for a demo. No thanks i'll wait for Gran Turismo 5. ;)

If retail is actually $40 then i will cancel it and buy from somwhere else (probably with a coupon or discount) but if they do try and sell it for $60 which is certainly probable then i will just keep it from GS. Even if it is 20% of the game i love GT and ahve put in tons of time all the way back to 1.

It's funny this game was free in Japan yet people are happy to pay $40 here in the States? If you were smart you wouldn't buy this. I'd hate to see us set a precedent that we would happily pay retail for a beta build/demo.

A guy on my PS3 friend list got the Japanese import of GT5 prologue on Monday. Works fine as far as being region free.

I’m not into realistic racers. So, I’m skipping out on the prologue and main story.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']It's funny this game was free in Japan yet people are happy to pay $40 here in the States? If you were smart you wouldn't buy this. I'd hate to see us set a precedent that we would happily pay retail for a beta build/demo.[/QUOTE]

This game was/is not free in Japan...It costs about $40 over there.

Also, I am buying this in a heartbeat, have you seen this game in motion yet??? Best looking next gen game imo.

i never purchased a gt prologue game before but this will definitely be my first. the full version won't be released until at least another year from now. online play = infinite replay value = win.

People actually want to pay for this? For the love of all that is cheap, why?? It's a glorified demo and it's just an excuse for them to delay the game without pissing off gamers. I bought Crackdown in order to play Halo 3 early, but at least I got a full blown retail game out of it. Please stop paying for this blatant cash-in, people. Go buy Warhawk instead.

i bet you over half of you nuts would pay $30-$40 for a prologue version of ssbb or halo3 if you got to play it a year in advance.

Its really not a bad game. I was able to get it for $20 on ebay last year and the game started off with a weak online mode but they keep adding new races and levels. It might not be worth $40 but its a nice distraction for a PS3 owner.

Calling this a demo is a bit off the mark, in my humble opinion. A demo does not have all the features this has. I don't want this, but if you are big enough fan of the series, I can see spending $40 for it. I know that I'm a big enough MGS nut that I would probably spend $40 right now to play the first half of Guns of the Patriots...then play $60 to actually have the full game later. But I do think that if companies are going to something like this, there should be added incentive, like a discount on the full title.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Calling this a demo is a bit off the mark, in my humble opinion. A demo does not have all the features this has. I don't want this, but if you are big enough fan of the series, I can see spending $40 for it. I know that I'm a big enough MGS nut that I would probably spend $40 right now to play the first half of Guns of the Patriots...then play $60 to actually have the full game later. But I do think that if companies are going to something like this, there should be added incentive, like a discount on the full title.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a slippery slope. I would find this acceptable at $10, but not a penny more.

This game is already headed for microtransaction hell. Any fan of this game (like you are of MGS) will be nickel and dimed to death by it.

Then again, my opinion is eventually all DLC should be free (like after 6 to 8 months).

Whoever buys this should get $40 off GT5 Full when it comes out. That would be an acceptable practice to me.

It wasn't at all free in Japan.

It was offered via the PlayStation Store and via a BD. I have the BD, and since I acutally own and have played said game, 37 cars + 10 tracks = more than a "demo." If you like GT, it's totally worth it. If you don't like GT, then this isn't going to change your mind.

Right now $40 is a deal, but everywhere will probably have it for the same price. For whatever reason it was automatically priced at $60 everywhere.

:D :D [quote name='DongHungLong']Why do you guys bitch and moan so much o_O? If you don't want it don't buy it. Simple...[/quote]

jeez those who are complaining aren't true fans of GT.

If Halo did something similar would we see a bigger reaction? I am not psychic so I will not assume anything but for GT fans the real option is:

This is not a question of if, but when can I buy it?

[quote name='crazyj']jeez those who are complaining aren't true fans of GT.

If Halo did something similar would we see a bigger reaction? I am not psychic so I will not assume anything but for GT fans the real option is:

This is not a question of if, but when can I buy it?[/quote]
Indeed this thread has more or less derailed from the its original intention. 37 cars + 10 tracks is more than Motorstorm shipped with at $60.

And ya Halo 3 lmao. You wanna talk about someone wasting money idiots got owned buying the $140+ spartan helmet combo limited edition crud when its being clearenced for like $70 everywhere now.

[quote name='crazyj']jeez those who are complaining aren't true fans of GT.

This is not a question of if, but when can I buy it?[/quote]

How many people bought Crackdown? How many bought it to actaully play Crackdown? Less than half, I'd bet.

I've already imported GT5:p and have been loving it to death. Easily worth the $50 I paid, and I'll be glad to pay $60 when GT5 comes out. Anyone who's played a GT game knows that they're more than an average game and worth way more than what they charge for it. Some people played Oblivion for 100 hours - I've played GT4 for over 200, I'm sure.

bread's done
Back