Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP) - $19.78 - Amazon DotD

Gah, posted it slightly after someone else, just let the thread die

Amazon deal of the day is:

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars 19.78
for psp

Sorry, guys...my bad. After missing yesterdays deal, I stayed up for this one. If I was asleep right now, they'd probably be selling $20.00 PSPs instead.

[quote name='chakan']No go if you own a Go.

shame, Amazon has the PSN code on their site.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can call yourself much of a CAG if you own a PSP Go.

Obviously not meant to offend you...

[quote name='rkrocks123']I don't think you can call yourself much of a CAG if you own a PSP Go.

Obviously not meant to offend you...[/QUOTE]

Man, I bet he probably owns a car or a TV too....what a jerk, how dare he consider himself a CAG.

I think he meant that you are not able to get too many deals off of PSN so this is why he thought that owning a PSP Go was not the best choice.

^^no you're not right! the PSP Go is pure perfection...

It now has a permanent price drop for the digital copy at $29.99..the UMD is plagued by horrible load times when going in and out of the PDA (7-14 seconds!!). They claimed it was also problematic on the Go, but I've never once had a hickup..

[quote name='aosora13']I think he meant that you are not able to get too many deals off of PSN so this is why he thought that owning a PSP Go was not the best choice.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. This week's PSN update had a ray of hope for PSP dlc though.

1. MGS Portable Ops 14.99 (right around the ebay price)
2. MGS Graphic Novel 9.99 (cheaper than ebay)

Once I get over the need for a physical goods (which will take a while) I'll get a Go when the PSN has a large number of 14.99 or less prices.

Right now though, I'm not paying 40 bucks for new PSP titles so that makes the Go a no go for me.

[quote name='Fatbot3']
Once I get over the need for a physical goods (which will take a while) I'll get a Go when the PSN has a large number of 14.99 or less prices.

Right now though, I'm not paying 40 bucks for new PSP titles so that makes the Go a no go for me.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it, man.

[quote name='token2k6']the UMD is plagued by horrible load times when going in and out of the PDA (7-14 seconds!!). They claimed it was also problematic on the Go, but I've never once had a hickup..[/QUOTE]
If that's the only flaw, I consider that an acceptable trade-off for owning the physical media.

This strikes me as a lame attempt to price-match Target, but only for one day versus Target's 7-day sale on it.

In any event, I price matched it at Best Buy a few days ago and its fun so far. And yes, the load times are annoying. Doesn't ruin the game, but its a little annoying. I also noticed that when coming back from sleep, it took quite a while to resume.

[quote name='token2k6']^^no you're not right! the PSP Go is pure perfection...

It now has a permanent price drop for the digital copy at $29.99[/QUOTE]

In other words, the price will stay at $29.99 forever. Sure there may be a rare sale on Amazon or PSN, but kiss clearance prices goodbye.

Can I play the $10 copies of LBP and GT5 I bought at Kmart on the Go? No? Then we have different definitions of "pure perfection."

[quote name='salty tbone']In other words, the price will stay at $29.99 forever. Sure there may be a rare sale on Amazon or PSN, but kiss clearance prices goodbye.

Can I play the $10 copies of LBP and GT5 I bought at Kmart on the Go? No? Then we have different definitions of "pure perfection."[/QUOTE]

A clearance is a sale, it's just a much higher markdown with eventually no stock. This being CAG and all I understand where you are coming from. This place has pretty much convinced me never to pay full price again.

That said, you can't compare the convenience of a digital product to a clearance item that may not be available to you in the first place. There can't be a clearance market online because there isn't limited supply.

And considering Steam already has unbelievable deals on old content all the time, I imagine the console networks will catch up eventually.

[quote name='Fatbot3']
And considering Steam already has unbelievable deals on old content all the time, I imagine the console networks will catch up eventually.[/QUOTE]

And until then it's pretty much pointless to buy a PSP Go or any console like it. I don't understand the logic of "Well, hey, I bet it'll be awesome eventually!" because it's not awesome right now. We're living in the now, not some far future where console digital game services have good deals.

I just bought Secret Agent Clank for $9 on Newegg. Good luck getting that deal on PSN.

[quote name='token2k6']
..the UMD is plagued by horrible load times when going in and out of the PDA (7-14 seconds!!). They claimed it was also problematic on the Go, but I've never once had a hickup..[/QUOTE]

You can install it to a memory stick to solve any load time problems.

I know you're just trying to defend your $250 purchase though, and that's cool. I would do the same thing. Enjoy your PSP Go, dude.

I actually just shot Amazon CS an e-mail, seeing if I can get the digital download for the DoTD price, explaining how the Go can't run this version. Not sure if it will get me anywhere, but I'll report back on what they say.

Also, people, please, stop bashing the Go and the people who bought one. We are just as much of CAG's as anyone else, just because we want a system that is sleek, sexy, and convenient, doesn't mean we aren't CAG's. Hell, I even got my PSP-Go for free, and got Amazon to credit me $30 PSN credit when their PSP-Go deal went live a few days after. If that's not the essence of a CAG, I don't know what is.

[quote name='NutManIV']
I know you're just trying to defend your $250 purchase though, and that's cool. I would do the same thing. Enjoy your PSP Go, dude.[/QUOTE]

touchy! I actually paid $200 b/c I'm a CAG, that's just how it goes..did you miss out on that and are trying to defend your $170 antiquated unit?? I enjoy my PSP Go on a daily basis, when I effortlessly fill up the memory w/ MP3's and 500mb full-length movie files..and then I look to the games and have 10 to choose from on a whim. Then when my battery lasts longer than yours, I'm still playing!! go figure...

[quote name='token2k6']touchy! I actually paid $200 b/c I'm a CAG, that's just how it goes..did you miss out on that and are trying to defend your $170 antiquated unit?? I enjoy my PSP Go on a daily basis, when I effortlessly fill up the memory w/ MP3's and 500mb full-length movie files..and then I look to the games and have 10 to choose from on a whim. Then when my battery lasts longer than yours, I'm still playing!! go figure...[/QUOTE]

Of course most people who know what they're doing on an original PSP can do all that too....

But yeah, the e-PeniSP stuff here is fantastic and on topic!

[quote name='token2k6']touchy! I actually paid $200 b/c I'm a CAG, that's just how it goes..did you miss out on that and are trying to defend your $170 antiquated unit?? I enjoy my PSP Go on a daily basis, when I effortlessly fill up the memory w/ MP3's and 500mb full-length movie files..and then I look to the games and have 10 to choose from on a whim. Then when my battery lasts longer than yours, I'm still playing!! go figure...[/QUOTE]

Completely off topic but you do realize it makes more sense to own a PSP-3000 and a 16GB PRO Duo, right? There's very little difference, internally, between the 3000 and the Go. The Go has slightly better pixel density and a smaller form factor but also has less battery life. All things considered, I think a true CAG would have a 3000 because then you can enjoy the cheap deals of discrete media and the convenience of digital media when prices are comparable. The 3000 can do everything the Go can do and more, which is why I don't think it's a smart idea to own a Go at this time. I commend Sony for what they're setting the stage for, but I don't think the Go makes financial sense.

Back on topic, did anyone else pick up Chinatown Wars?

[quote name='NutManIV']And until then it's pretty much pointless to buy a PSP Go or any console like it. I don't understand the logic of "Well, hey, I bet it'll be awesome eventually!" because it's not awesome right now. We're living in the now, not some far future where console digital game services have good deals.

I just bought Secret Agent Clank for $9 on Newegg. Good luck getting that deal on PSN.

You can install it to a memory stick to solve any load time problems.

I know you're just trying to defend your $250 purchase though, and that's cool. I would do the same thing. Enjoy your PSP Go, dude.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you might get it for the size and media functionality but yeah I don't own one for the same reason. I wanna see a greatest hits or something similar before I make the jump.

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']Meh deal. Thanks for posting, though.
Where's a deal on LBP: GOTY, Amazon??? Arrgghhh.[/QUOTE]

There was a bundle for it from Best Buy.

Doubt it gets a deal anytime soon considering the fact that there is/will be a constant flow of people buying LBP GOTY, let alone LBP standard.

I think the main reason why people get upset at the Go bashing is because it is never on topic. If you want to discuss the Go, go to the PSP section of the site and have at it. These are deal threads,so by all means point out that the digital version is not on sale as well, but please keep your insecurities to yourself and refrain from bashing consoles (this is commonly known as thread-crapping). Also, many of the detractors had suggested that items would NEVER go on sale by trying to apply monopoly theory to Sony's PSN store. When in fact, the prices have shown themselves to be competitive (not perfectly competitive, but competitive), particularly on older games whose UMDs have become hard to come by.

You are all entitled to your opinions, but unless it actually relates to the deal, it may be better to keep it to yourself.

PSP vs. DS, which version is better and why? FYI, I am not asking about graphics wise because that is clear. However, I am interested in knowing about the gameplay.

BTW, I own the DS version :)

[quote name='mhnajjar']PSP vs. DS, which version is better and why? FYI, I am not asking about graphics wise because that is clear. However, I am interested in knowing about the gameplay.

BTW, I own the DS version :)[/QUOTE]

I personally think DS > PS3 version as the minigames are more efficient with the DS touch screen.

[quote name='mhnajjar']PSP vs. DS, which version is better and why? FYI, I am not asking about graphics wise because that is clear. However, I am interested in knowing about the gameplay.

I had it but ditched it knowing the PSP version was coming. I honestly haven't played the DS version but I found the stylus/d-pad back and forth to be too much of hastle.

It certainly looked like the PSP minigames were handicapped though.

In terms of the minigames, the DS is certainly the better choice. However, for everything else, which includes graphics, multiplayer suite, and missions, the PSP is definitely the way to go.

bread's done
Back