Grandparents actually enjoyed playing the Wii

jkanownik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The wife's 80+ year old grandparents came over on Wednesday night and played with our Wii. They absolutely loved it. Grandpa bowled a 134 and Grandma bowled a 132. Her 50+ year old mother and aunt also had a great time. If we had had an extra Wii on hand we could have sold it to them on the spot. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. And if someone had told me a year ago this was going to happen I would have had them locked up in a mental hospital.

Nintendo could really make a killing in the nursing home market. ...or is that a poor turn of phrase?

Not something Sony or Microsoft could ever see, in any case.

All this non-gamer fascination is not built to last. If someone like that were to buy a Wii, they'd just play Wii Sports ad nauseum, if they played the thing after the first two weeks at all.

I'm serious: if Nintendo wants Soccer Mom and Granny to keep playing well past the novelty honeymoon, they need to hook 'em with online shit like Bingo. Basically "Yahoo! Games" played from the couch.

[quote name='jollydwarf']All this non-gamer fascination is not built to last. If someone like that were to buy a Wii, they'd just play Wii Sports ad nauseum, if they played the thing after the first two weeks at all.

I'm serious: if Nintendo wants Soccer Mom and Granny to keep playing well past the novelty honeymoon, they need to hook 'em with online shit like Bingo. Basically "Yahoo! Games" played from the couch.[/quote]

I agree 100%

The people who plays those Yahoo games and such are the same soccer moms and grandparents who love the wii. Wii needs games like (spider) solitaire, hearts and uno.

Yeah, they can only find swinging a tennis racket thrilling for so long. I really don't see 'Aunt Ester' fighting space pirates or kicking Snake's ass with Kirby.

Well, the thing is, I'm sure Nintendo will keep a steady supply of games for "non-gamers" coming. We have Wii Play coming soon, and a Brain Age game coming out next year as well. I'm sure there will be a Clubhouse Games equivalent with all the online play the one on the DS has. It wouldn't surprise me if a Nintendogs-like game showed up as well.

Then there's third party stuff like Cooking Mama. I'm sure more will follow.

If the market is there, the game companies will follow. It might take a bit for them to catch up (as I'm sure the success of the Wii is catching many of them off guard - especially the demographics of it).

Even if that was the case, which I'm not agreeing on, units sold is units sold.

It makes the marketshare look better to 3rd parties, and theres that profit on the hardware. Everybodys happy.

Not everyone has to buy a lot of games. Hell, there are a lot of people who consider themselves gamers that only buy a few games a year if that.

[quote name='swarmster']Nintendo could really make a killing in the nursing home market. ...or is that a poor turn of phrase?

Not something Sony or Microsoft could ever see, in any case.[/QUOTE]
This is not such an outlandish prediction.
There are 60 million people in America of retirement age. I'd bet less than 1% had a current gen videogame console in their house.

Well, given that they were ready to fall asleep after one game of Wii bowling, Wii Sports will last a long time. They'd go for Excite Truck if there was an alterate soundtrack for old people. Somehow I don't see them creating custom MP3 soundtracks on their non-existant computer.

[quote name='Qacer']A video of the grandies playing would be amusing.

wii-roxbury.gif
[/QUOTE]

God.. :drool: I really wish they had a green or red Wii come out at launch. Seriouslly..:drool:

ANYway, on topic here. I agree 100%. The only game right now is Wii Sports that's gonna make all these non-gamers play Wii. Even at a FEW games (as in like 2-3 games a YEAR) for that crowd, won't do IMO

I think the smartest thing they could do, is gear alot of games towards the non-gamer crowd, which in return WOULD make them gamers.

We all had to start somewhere, even if Nintendo picks up a fan base of people who never even touched an NES.

But that's just my opinion. I know there's not gonna be a FLOOD of games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc.. but there def needs to be quite a few per year for the next 5 years or however long the Wii's lifespan is.

[quote name='jollydwarf']
I'm serious: if Nintendo wants Soccer Mom and Granny to keep playing well past the novelty honeymoon, they need to hook 'em with online shit like Bingo. Basically "Yahoo! Games" played from the couch.[/quote]

A port/remake of "Clubhouse Games" would work.

[quote name='jollydwarf']All this non-gamer fascination is not built to last. If someone like that were to buy a Wii, they'd just play Wii Sports ad nauseum, if they played the thing after the first two weeks at all.

I'm serious: if Nintendo wants Soccer Mom and Granny to keep playing well past the novelty honeymoon, they need to hook 'em with online shit like Bingo. Basically "Yahoo! Games" played from the couch.[/QUOTE]

You think Nintendo isn't on this? What do you think the whole Touch Generations thing is for DS? Have you seen the Brain Age commercials? They'll be doing the same thing for Wii, I have no doubt. It'll be a little label that basically says, "Aunt Ester Approved."

It's a brilliant way to keep the hardcore games separate from the broad market stuff, keeping both audiences happy.

It's too early to tell where this innovation is going, if you ask me. But I will tell you this - My day is 67 and played Wii Sports Saturday for 3 hours. I wouldn't dismiss the power of this machine to draw in a new audience.

bread's done
Back