Graphic Card/Power Supply Help Needed!

Meatyflakes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hey,

Hoping someone in here can help me out. I recently picked up a Saphhire 5850 from Newegg (upgrading from a 5570), but my heart sank when I popped open the box and noticed to two power cables included.

My issue is I only have one 4 pin connector on my power supply. Is there a simple solution (IE a splitter cable or something along those lines), or am I screwed?

It's a 600 watt PSU, so I'm OK power requirement wise.

Also, keep in mind, I'm not that computer saavy anymore, so dumb it down if need be..hah

Any help is greatly appreciated, as looking at that 5850 sitting in it's anti-static bag all alone is making me sad....lol

Take a look in your box and see if there's a molex to 4-pin adapter in it. If not, all you have to do is order one from somewhere. Let me see if I can find a picture of what you're looking for.

edit: I'm not seeing a 4-pin. Do you mean a 6-pin? I found one on newegg.

[quote name='Apushmataha']Take a look in your box and see if there's a molex to 4-pin adapter in it. If not, all you have to do is order one from somewhere. Let me see if I can find a picture of what you're looking for.

edit: I'm not seeing a 4-pin. Do you mean a 6-pin? I found one on newegg.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. I could be getting my pins confused (at work ATM, going off memory). I'll update with better/correct info once I get home. I'd be so happy if the fix was that simple.

Thanks again!

PCI-E power connectors are either 6 pins or 8 pins. The 4-pin connector on your PSU is an older connector for motherboard to supply power to the CPU. Most boards in the past few years have moved on to 8 pins for the CPU, but most PSU will include for a 8 pin and 4 pin connector for backwards compatibility. The connector Apushmataha listed should do what you need. The adapter has two molex connectors on it. Be sure to connect two different cables from the power supply and preferably ones that aren't connected to anything else. By using separate cables you can increase the chance of putting the video card on two separate power rails. Using two connectors on the same cable would limit you to being only on a single rail that might not supply enough power.

Christ I'm an idiot, so the custom case I have has one connector directly next to the power supply, and another hidden behind some components...goddamn me....

3dmark score went from 1195 to 3156, I'll take it!

So I have a 5570 too and I'm thinking of picking up one of these 5850 cards but I'll also need a new power supply which puts the cost at a little over 200.00 Is the 5850 really worth the upgrade? Honestly my games look pretty good with the 5570 (medium setting usually 1600x900 or lower resolution). Even Dirt 2 runs pretty well. Will games like left for dead 2 really be a lot better at max settings and 1920x1080 resolution?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back