Graphic Novel readers..... any good websites out there?

cgarb84

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So I have just recently started reading graphic novels (Watchmen peaked my interest) but am having a hard time finding websites with recommendations for good ones. For Batman ones I found a good article by IGN listing their top-25 Batman GN (http://comics.ign.com/articles/624/624619p1.html). I am interested in just about any Marvel or DC related ones at this point. Doing Google searches has been almost completely worthless so far.

If no one has any good sites I would just take personal favorites of yours.

Here's the short list of my Graphic Novels I own so far...

Watchmen
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: The Killing Joke

A few of my suggestions would be:

Y: The Last Man
30 Days of Night
V for Vendetta

EDIT: For the record, Watchmen, TDK Returns and The Killing Joke would also be on that list, but you already own them.

I would also suggest:

Preacher
Batman: The Long Halloween
Maus
The Walking Dead

But, out of all of those choices, if you were to only choose one; choose Preacher. It is sublime.

From Hell is another Allan Moore book nobody ever seems to list.

Frank Miller also had 300, Ronin, Sin City, and his Elektra and/or Daredevil runs.

Dark Horse now has an omnibus line for all their popular franchises. Aliens, Aliens vs. Predator, Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Buffy, etc.

James O'Barr's The Crow is still a phenomenal piece of work.

I would have to say the Walking Dead, I only read that in trades but you will get tempted to read issue summaries.

and the wanted trade is very good. the movie is silly compared to it.

I recently discovered a horror graphic novel called Impaler. It was highly recommended from the Ain't it cool website and its a pretty good start.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The Walking Dead is pretty good, it's black and white zombie graphic novel.[/quote]

i second that shit. i just got into it and its damn awesome. i wish i would hve waited until they finished the series. i hate having to wait for the next chapter.

If you want the equivalent of a summer action movie go with Wolverine: Enemy of the State by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. For alternate reality DC try JLA: The Nail by Alan Davis. For a different take on superhero archetypes Planetary by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday can be interesting. There are several TPB's for it so try one before going all in.

Phil Foglio's Girl Genius is both very funny and a great story. You can check it out online but print editions are available to purchase:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php

Alan Moore's Miracleman/Marvelman (depending on where you're located) is a very influential work but less well known than Watchmen due to being from a small publisher. While most of Watchmen's characters are in the Batman mold with a single superhuman looming over events, Miracleman is primarily about the superhumans and their effect on the world, as well as reconciling the stuff you read as a child against the realities of life that you came to realize as you grew up.

Top Ten, another Moore work, is a very fun set of stories set in a city where everyone is some sort of super being. It's stablemate Promothea is much harder to recommend as the last quarter of the series is mired in philosophical wankery and extreme self-indulgence by the author. Grant Morrison's work often suffers from this. too.

bread's done
Back