Graphics Card Questions

cartman58

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Warning: I'm a tech idiot.

Currently, I am seeing horizontal and sometimes vertical lines on my screen. Playing a PC game or some websites cause this. I don't believe that it is my monitor, because it only happens sometimes.

So the other main option is the graphics card. I've tried cleaning out the inside of the PC for overheating, checked wiring, checked refresh rate, etc. Nothing.

So I've decided just to go ahead and get a new card. I've got a PCI-Express slot, and from what I've read a PCI-E 2.0 will work.

On a PC I play strategy games at most. I don't play WOW, COD, etc. It's mostly Total War series, Sims 2(girlfriend), and the like.

Found a card on Amazon that doesn't seem terrible, but I don't know ass about graphics cards. Someone tell me why this is or is not a good graphics card.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-01G-P3-N...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1237694052&sr=1-1

I just want a card that will run the games I play(empire: TW), be somewhat budget friendly(preferably no more than $140), and have a little room for growth as games get more demanding(be able to run new TW games and Sims 3)

Any help would be appreciated.

I've heard bad things from the 9400, but I have no first hand knowledge. EDIT: Oops, I was thinking of a different 9000 series card.

for a cheapish yet well performing graphics card, the Radeon HIS 4670 gets excellent reviews and is 70 after MIR.

Okay, I'm going to point you to this website, which should help you find a good recommendation whatever your price point maybe. My opinion is that most cards under the $70 isn't really work the money and effort of opening your computer, unless that card is a gift and hence free. Amazon is a really great website to buy from, but personally I shop at Newegg for computer parts and video cards, and I personally vouch for them. Their prices are really competitive, and their CS is bar-none.

As for those lines, I think they maybe what I would call "the refresh line" what happens when your graphics card, program, and/or monitor is tryijng to refresh whatever is on the screen (I'm going to assume this only happen where there's a lot going on on the screen, or you're scrolling down a graphics-intensive webpage/document). This can come from a number of factor, and cause of that artifact can come from a dozen sources. Try switching out monitors, or try lowering the graphical features in your games, and see if that works.

But, having both horizontal and vertical lines doesn't really sound like the screen struggling to refresh itself, so I could be entirely wrong. None the less, try the 2 suggestions above, and hopefully that may reduce the screen flickers.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Okay, I'm going to point you to this website, which should help you find a good recommendation whatever your price point maybe. My opinion is that most cards under the $70 isn't really work the money and effort of opening your computer, unless that card is a gift and hence free. Amazon is a really great website to buy from, but personally I shop at Newegg for computer parts and video cards, and I personally vouch for them. Their prices are really competitive, and their CS is bar-none.

As for those lines, I think they maybe what I would call "the refresh line" what happens when your graphics card, program, and/or monitor is tryijng to refresh whatever is on the screen (I'm going to assume this only happen where there's a lot going on on the screen, or you're scrolling down a graphics-intensive webpage/document). This can come from a number of factor, and cause of that artifact can come from a dozen sources. Try switching out monitors, or try lowering the graphical features in your games, and see if that works.

But, having both horizontal and vertical lines doesn't really sound like the screen struggling to refresh itself, so I could be entirely wrong. None the less, try the 2 suggestions above, and hopefully that may reduce the screen flickers.[/quote]

Yea, it's exactly what you are talking about. If I'm loading a new webpage it will have the lines bad at first and then it will start to "refresh" some of them away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187052

This is the card I'm currently looking at most. What would be the major differences between this and the one posted by kellehair(other than $30)? I'm an absolute idiot about graphics cards and what makes one "good". I know the 512 MB is generally good. But everything else might as well be Mandarin Chinese.

Thanks for the comments so far, been helpful.

bread's done
Back