Grave of 51 Decapitated Vikings Found in Dorset, UK

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/8563377.stm

Fifty-one decapitated skeletons found in a burial pit in Dorset were those of Scandinavian Vikings, scientists say. Mystery has surrounded the identity of the group since they were discovered at Ridgeway Hill, near Weymouth, in June. Analysis of teeth from 10 of the men revealed they had grown up in countries with a colder climate than Britain's.

Archaeologists from Oxford believe the men were probably executed by local Anglo Saxons in front of an audience sometime between AD 910 and AD 1030. The Anglo Saxons were increasingly falling victim to Viking raids and eventually the country was ruled by a Danish king.

The mass grave is one of the largest examples of executed foreigners buried in one spot.

The skulls of 51 young men were found. They had been "hacked off" with swords and put in a pile next to their bodies:
_46391763_oxfordarchaeology_1903.jpg

Photo journal:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/8563719.stm

The real question is, who could possibly manage to execute 51 vikings? They should keep digging around there for some orc bones or something.

[quote name='JolietJake']Damn, i thought the vikings were supposed to be the barbarians.[/QUOTE]

This is your answer:

[quote name='Halo05']The real question is, who could possibly manage to execute 51 vikings? They should keep digging around there for some orc bones or something.[/QUOTE]

Their were a couple kings who managed to defeat Vikings, but their names escape me.

[quote name='Matt Young']That's nothing. The New Orleans Saints just defeated 53 Vikings a month ago.[/QUOTE]

You bastard...

:lol:

That was a pretty good one though actually.

[quote name='Matt Young']That's nothing. The New Orleans Saints just defeated 53 Vikings a month ago.[/QUOTE]

You win the internet for today. I don't think I've laughed that loud in a while.

Son, I LOLed.

[quote name='Sito']They may have killed those 51, but they left the most important Viking of all alive

Technoviking[/QUOTE]

He never gets old.

[quote name='Matt Young']*high fives fellow Packers fan ZForce*

;)[/QUOTE]

*high five*

Aaron Rodgers will rule the league this year!

bread's done
Back