Great Find Turns Into Big Loss

gmzone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So, I spot Ikaruga at Gamestop. (By the way, probably been posted elsewhere, but they are having a trade 3 titles, get $10 extra in store credit).
Anyway, I pick up $19.99 Ikaruga(USED, but hey even if it's scratched, I just want to play it, not for resale value). I get to the counter, wait 10 mins. for game nerds to finally ring up my store credit, and get ready to pay for Ikaruga. He looks around. Goes to the back. Says they "can't find the disc". Now - what do you think happened? Did one of the employees realize that this game was rare, and pocket it for themselves? I'll never know, but I suspect that to be the case. And, this isn't the first time this happens. Funny, it never happens with the lousy games - only the games that are rare/expensive/that I want to play. I ended up picking up a $20 PS2 game that I'm only mildly excited about.

Happened to me too w/ a Resident Evil 2 as well. Next time this happens, target a girl employee, they seem not to care about rare/valuable games (most of the time).

Yeah, I found a Suikoden II at an EB with the front insert and generic case. The disc ended being a Suikoden I disc. I was disappointed.

Yeah I was at GameCrazy and found a Suikoden 2 case (mint manual) and there happened to be no game! Coincidence? I think not!

I've had some luck like that, I found a Suikoden II at an EB, and it actually was the right disc, but it looked like someone literally tied something to it and drug it on the ground as they drove around town. I could've probably still resold it, but I let someone else have it. Karma came back, though, and a week later, I found a mint and complete copy of Intelligent Qube at the same EB.

That only happened to me once, and it was a used crazy taxi for DC. So remember, non valuable games get pocketed too.

I asked for four different titles at the EB in Arcadia, CA. about a month ago.

They couldn't find ANY. They said the past crew was all fired. They should be as some games said they had at least 4 in stock...

I hate when a store can't find it's inventory!

Yah, my thought is this is 90% paranoia. A lot of times discs just get lost in the shuffly. Ikaruga doesn't have that great of a resell value at all. You can still find that game new in relatively high frequency.

Where can I find Ikaruga NEW? Share this information please. I need something in my Cube' other then just Resident Evil 4.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='gmzone']Where can I find Ikaruga NEW? Share this information please. I need something in my Cube' other then just Resident Evil 4.[/quote]

Try here:
http://www.gamezoneusa.com/catalog/default.asp?product=11740&name=Ikaruga

Cheapest I could find through Froogle. Rest were $30+ .[/quote]

Do you know if that site is reliable? It looked like they had a few rarer titles that I'm interested in, but I've never heard of them before.

I've had this happen with games that were on nobody's top ten list. It was just the effect of one bad employee screwing things up for everybody else.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. They probably just couldn't find it because the discs were in alphabetical order. That seems to stump a lot of the counter hobos at gameslop.

[quote name='_heretic'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='gmzone']Where can I find Ikaruga NEW? Share this information please. I need something in my Cube' other then just Resident Evil 4.[/quote]

Try here:
http://www.gamezoneusa.com/catalog/default.asp?product=11740&name=Ikaruga

Cheapest I could find through Froogle. Rest were $30+ .[/quote]

Do you know if that site is reliable? It looked like they had a few rarer titles that I'm interested in, but I've never heard of them before.[/quote]

This can't be good:
Due to the birth of my twin children our internet has not been updated in some time. Unfortunately some items may not be in stock. Please call to confirm stock of game prior to purchase. We DO NOT charge any credit cards until item is ready to ship and we confirm the order with the customer. Any order placed when a game is out of stock will be put on our watch list. Again, we will NOT charge any credit cards without the prior confirmation from the customer. Sorry for any problems that may have arisen. I apologize for any items out of stock. It is quite a headache dealing with two little ones along with running stores and this website. We will have the website updated and ready to rock ASAP. Happy Holidays.

Toss 'em an email and see:
General information [email protected]
Sales information [email protected]
Game help and questions [email protected]

My local game store had Intelligent Cube and Klonoa for PSOne, yet they were disc only.

Anyway, this happend to me with Sonic Adventure for DC before, and with my cousin as well....

[quote name='gmzone']Thanks Shrike4242 for the info. GMZONE likes the shooters. That doesn't sound right...[/quote]

Only depends on who's paying for them. :D

As for B&M, I see Ikaruga at EB new for $24.99 all the time (meaning at least at 4 out of 5 EBs I go to). Now whether or not they have any sealed copies is another story...

well i found a copu of koudelka at my eb today. the caseand manual were both mint so i assumed the game was too. the price tag was only $15 and i had just that much credit so i was excited. well i take it to the counter and th guy goes to the back to look for it. he comes back and then supposedly scans it and says that the case must have been there for a while because the game isn't in the catalog. i go to that eb games like ever 3 days and thats the first time i've seen it so i'm suprised that they would screw me over like that. or thats what i think at least.

I was at a GameStop once and asked to see the PS1 games in the drawer behind the counter. I leaned over the counter as the clerk opened the drawer. I spotted Diablo and asked to see the disk condition. Just as the clerk was saying "I didn't know we had this one", the other clerk came over and took it from his hands and sais "mine". I told him I was looking at that and he said "its not for sale". Totally unprofessional, as has been most of my experiences at GameStop.

[quote name='hohndog']I was at a GameStop once and asked to see the PS1 games in the drawer behind the counter. I leaned over the counter as the clerk opened the drawer. I spotted Diablo and asked to see the disk condition. Just as the clerk was saying "I didn't know we had this one", the other clerk came over and took it from his hands and sais "mine". I told him I was looking at that and he said "its not for sale". Totally unprofessional, as has been most of my experiences at GameStop.[/quote]

That has to be the funniest most horrible story i ever read on here. My heard goes out to you hohndog

i got jipped at a gamestop to, with a mint/complete RE2 on GC, here is the story

I went to the local mall to the gamestop 5 mins away, asked if they have re2 and 3 on GC new or used, and he said no they dont BUT he checked the comp and said their is one in a few towns over in williamsburg Virginia, Im like cool, 44.99 used a piece. He called the gamestop and he said yes they do have both the games used, and the disc are in really good condition and has both box and manuel for both of the games. I was really excited, and said since im driving an hour to get them he would hold them for me untill they closed(which was about 6 hours from then. I was really excited so me and my girlfriend go their took us about almost 2 hours due to traffic. We get their and im like I called and had two games held Resident evil 2 and 3, and the same guy on the phone response "umm sorry another employee bought them two games a few mins after i got off the phone with you, he said he wasent aware they had them, I appologize, BUT I can give 2 complimenary subscriptions if u sign up for our EB card, as an appology" then Im like "so I drove 2 hours, AND almost 20$ in gas for a eb edge card? he is like "yea well its a really good deal saves 10% on used games and can be used on our website too::really excited voice::"Im like can I speak to ur manager pleas", he is like sure, manger walks out the back "are u the one who called about RE2 and 3 on GC" O replied "yes that was me and drove 2 hours for them" he then said "well capcom recalled them two games through a email we got early in the afternoon", I was through with these asshats, and just told the manager fuck it and left"

EDIT:it was at ebgames not gamestop

[quote name='ChrisXE']i got jipped at a gamestop to, with a mint/complete RE2 on GC, here is the story

I went to the local mall to the gamestop 5 mins away, asked if they have re2 and 3 on GC new or used, and he said no they dont BUT he checked the comp and said their is one in a few towns over in williamsburg Virginia, Im like cool, 44.99 used a piece. He called the gamestop and he said yes they do have both the games used, and the disc are in really good condition and has both box and manuel for both of the games. I was really excited, and said since im driving an hour to get them he would hold them for me untill they closed(which was about 6 hours from then. I was really excited so me and my girlfriend go their took us about almost 2 hours due to traffic. We get their and im like I called and had two games held Resident evil 2 and 3, and the same guy on the phone response "umm sorry another employee bought them two games a few mins after i got off the phone with you, he said he wasent aware they had them, I appologize, BUT I can give 2 complimenary subscriptions if u sign up for our EB card, as an appology" then Im like "so I drove 2 hours, AND almost 20$ in gas for a eb edge card? he is like "yea well its a really good deal saves 10% on used games and can be used on our website too::really excited voice::"Im like can I speak to ur manager pleas", he is like sure, manger walks out the back "are u the one who called about RE2 and 3 on GC" O replied "yes that was me and drove 2 hours for them" he then said "well capcom recalled them two games through a email we got early in the afternoon", I was through with these asshats, and just told the manager shaq-fu it and left"

EDIT:it was at ebgames not gamestop[/quote]

Now, this is a reason to be pissed. You should have gotten the regional manager in on that one.

at the store i work theres been many times where someone asks me for a game that i didnt know we had and i really wanted. i always give it to them though, because they beat me to it. there's a long list of those, including resident evil 2, 3, samurai showdown III, suikoden II. i would assume theres plenty of people who wouldnt let the person buy it. some people were just born for you to hate.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='ChrisXE']i got jipped at a gamestop to, with a mint/complete RE2 on GC, here is the story

I went to the local mall to the gamestop 5 mins away, asked if they have re2 and 3 on GC new or used, and he said no they dont BUT he checked the comp and said their is one in a few towns over in williamsburg Virginia, Im like cool, 44.99 used a piece. He called the gamestop and he said yes they do have both the games used, and the disc are in really good condition and has both box and manuel for both of the games. I was really excited, and said since im driving an hour to get them he would hold them for me untill they closed(which was about 6 hours from then. I was really excited so me and my girlfriend go their took us about almost 2 hours due to traffic. We get their and im like I called and had two games held Resident evil 2 and 3, and the same guy on the phone response "umm sorry another employee bought them two games a few mins after i got off the phone with you, he said he wasent aware they had them, I appologize, BUT I can give 2 complimenary subscriptions if u sign up for our EB card, as an appology" then Im like "so I drove 2 hours, AND almost 20$ in gas for a eb edge card? he is like "yea well its a really good deal saves 10% on used games and can be used on our website too::really excited voice::"Im like can I speak to ur manager pleas", he is like sure, manger walks out the back "are u the one who called about RE2 and 3 on GC" O replied "yes that was me and drove 2 hours for them" he then said "well capcom recalled them two games through a email we got early in the afternoon", I was through with these asshats, and just told the manager shaq-fu it and left"

Now, this is a reason to be pissed. You should have gotten the regional manager in on that one.[/quote]

Good IDEA!!!! I think im going to do that

[quote name='dratsacras']Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. They probably just couldn't find it because the discs were in alphabetical order. That seems to stump a lot of the counter hobos at gameslop.[/quote]

Or the fact that it's NOT in alphabetical order

[quote name='greydemise']never happened 2 me..but if it happens 2 ne1 one of u guys..break the case and tear the manual!!! no1 gets ur rare games :cool:[/quote]

I actually asked to buy the stuff for Bust A Groove when they couldn't find the game. Manager was surprised and just was like "Nah man, you can have the manual and insert!"

Boy was I surprised.

that kind of crap has happend to me at least 5 times w/ dvds i've tried to buy, Snow white, dogma 2 disc (he put the 1 disc version in...)... yeah... its bull crap.

[quote name='Zon27'][quote name='dratsacras']Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. They probably just couldn't find it because the discs were in alphabetical order. That seems to stump a lot of the counter hobos at gameslop.[/quote]

Or the fact that it's NOT in alphabetical order[/quote]

I was implying that the clod-pates behind the counter were stumped by the concept of sorting things according to that song we all learned in grade school.

you guys know whats worse than employees that steal games, employees who work there who don't give a shit. So when i worked at gamecrazy i would just sit and put on the A's game and do nothing and these same guys came in ever day to play games and talk to us. Who the fuck does this? if any of you do this, you should be shot in the foot so you can't play anymore ddr. anyways, it would take a good 5 min to get them to do something else until we kicked them out for never buying anything. anyways, if your an employee and a rare game comes in, you stag that shit. you never think oh, i can make some gamer really happy. no you just pocket the game, and sell it on ebay. that is the way its done. seriously though, if a game is rare, an employee has got it. if he hasn't than most likely they just don't care. and yes we lose games ALL THE TIME. i can name at least 3 times i accidently broke games. mostly due to them not being in the drawer all the way and closing it real fast snapping it in half. anyways, who ever said, don't insist on malice what can be caused by stupidity is genious. and oh yeah, its not that were lazy, its just that we don't care. btw i worked at gamecrazy for a summer.

I had a somewhat similar experience just recently with the Culdcept $2.99 deal.

So I drive to an EB, and ask them if they had Culdcept, they said "2 days ago some guy bought both copies we had left for 'research' or something"... but they said another EB in town had some copies left over, NEW at that (the deal didn't work for used version I believe)

So I drove all the way over to the other EB and walk inside, ask them "Hey, I was told by another EB that you guys have a game in stock called Culdcept" and the employee says "Let me check for you." He rummages through the computer, goes behind some doors, comes out a few seconds later and says "Sorry sir I don't have that game."

I told him, "Sir, the computers say you have two new copies of Culdcept in stock." Reply: "Yeah, well sometimes games get stolen." Me: "Are you SURE you don't have any copies of Culdcept?" Him in an angry voice: "We don't have ANY COPIES, I JUST checked."

I thought for a second, then asked "could you check to see if you have any used copies of the game then?" His reply: "That's where I was looking."

... what an idiot I'm figuring. So then I ask politely "Could you check to see if you have any NEW copies?"

So he checks, sure enough, they have 1 new copy in some drawer. He takes it out, and rings it up on the computer, looks at the computer screen for a second, then says, "Hmm, that's strange..."

Me (in an innocent voice): "What's so strange?" (while I'm thinking haha, yup of course it's strange, a new game selling for less than a used game, and at $2.99! Score!)

Employee (after a 5 second pause of looking at the computer screen): "This game is put in the new drawer, but it's umm... too scratched up' to be new... I'll sell it to you as a used game."

WHAT THE HECK ?! :x

I say "Uhh, can't you charge it to me as a new game?" And his final answer: "NO sir, I CANNOT."

Moral of the story: Work at either a Gamerush, GameCrazy, Gamestop, or EBGames, and get the games for yourselves or fellow CAGers when a good deal passes by.

Can somebody fill me in on why the GC versions of RE2 and RE3 are so rare? I can't believe they had the balls to tell you that they purchsed the copies right after you called and then you got another story by a member of management. Sure, there are privileges to working in retail but the customer always comes first. By the way if you ever have a problem at the store level, make sure you request to speak to the regional manager. If that doesn't work, email a compliant directly to their corporate offices.

[quote name='hohndog']I was at a GameStop once and asked to see the PS1 games in the drawer behind the counter. I leaned over the counter as the clerk opened the drawer. I spotted Diablo and asked to see the disk condition. Just as the clerk was saying "I didn't know we had this one", the other clerk came over and took it from his hands and sais "mine". I told him I was looking at that and he said "its not for sale". Totally unprofessional, as has been most of my experiences at GameStop.[/quote]
I can relate, I went a couple weeks ago when World of Warcraft was impossible to find B&M anywhere near me (site said they had one). So I frantically rush to the store.
Me: Do you hava a copy of WoW?
Clerk1: *Pauses* No, sorry.
Me: the website says you have one...
Clerk2: Oh yeah we do... but its held for an employee.
Me: Does he have a pre-order on it?
Clerk1: No.
Me: Do you guys have any outstanding pre-orders?
Clerk2:No.
Me: So basically there is nothing keeping you from selling it to me.
Clerk1: NO we're holding for him, he really wants it.
Me: I am paying full retail for it, no discount, want to buy it now and you have one that technically can be sold. Yet you dont want to sell it to me?
Clerk1: I'm sorry.
Me: How abou this you tell who you're DM is, or I wait three hours for your manager to come in and complain.
Needless to say I waited 3 hours, complained to manager and called DM.
I have a letter of apology from GS in my hand right now.

[quote name='uuaww']you guys know whats worse than employees that steal games, employees who work there who don't give a shit. So when i worked at gamecrazy i would just sit and put on the A's game and do nothing and these same guys came in ever day to play games and talk to us. Who the shaq-fu does this? if any of you do this, you should be shot in the foot so you can't play anymore ddr. anyways, it would take a good 5 min to get them to do something else until we kicked them out for never buying anything. anyways, if your an employee and a rare game comes in, you stag that shit. you never think oh, i can make some gamer really happy. no you just pocket the game, and sell it on ebay. that is the way its done. seriously though, if a game is rare, an employee has got it. if he hasn't than most likely they just don't care. and yes we lose games ALL THE TIME. i can name at least 3 times i accidently broke games. mostly due to them not being in the drawer all the way and closing it real fast snapping it in half. anyways, who ever said, don't insist on malice what can be caused by stupidity is genious. and oh yeah, its not that were lazy, its just that we don't care. btw i worked at gamecrazy for a summer.[/quote]
Hurray for integrity in the work place! :roll:

So you guys are telling me if you worked at a game store found a game you really wanted, yet someone comes in asking for the game, you are going to give it up right there and then? Yea thought so...

This kind of thing always happens at those stores, because everybody that works there is a nerd. That kind of shit doesn't happen at a Compusa or Circuit City or Target, because most of their employees don't give a shit.

Yeah, but some realize after scanning a game that's say a $.01, they say they can't sell it and then put aside for them to buy later. :evil: Those kinda people need to be fired for pulling that crap. As for me running into something like this, it happened when I bought Xenogears preowned at Gamestop around July last year. Somehow they only "had one disc", so they couldn't sell it me(why would you accept it for trade-in then?). I had to go to the next Gamestop to get one, but at least it was a Non-GH and in mint condition.

That's horrible! I don't even know how I would react to something like that. In my case, I was just curious about the price and condition of the game in question. If it was in good shape and cheap, I would have purchased it. I guarantee that idiotic store manager is the "employee" who purchased the games you had held. I would definately call EB Games on that one. That is totally unacceptable.

[quote name='ChrisXE']i got jipped at a gamestop to, with a mint/complete RE2 on GC, here is the story

Now that's hard core. I think if that happened to me I'd seriously consider firebombing the place

If anyone actually did this to me, I'd be chatting with the store manager, RM or DM in about as long as it took me to get in contact with them. That's absolute crap to deny someone buying something at retail because they want it. If it's still there AFTER STORE HOURS, then they can buy it. While it's there and the store is open, it's mine to buy.

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='ChrisXE']i got jipped at a gamestop to, with a mint/complete RE2 on GC, here is the story

Now that's hard core. I think if that happened to me I'd seriously consider firebombing the place[/quote]

That's even worse. When I call GS or EB and ask them to hold something, I give them a reasonable period of time when I'l be there, since I've had the occasional "we don't hold games" line of crap, to which I respond "I'll be in there by x PM, if I'm not there by 30 minute after that, feel free to put it back on the shelf. Also, here's my phone # xxx-xxxx ." Tends to answer that quickly.

For this "recall" crap, I'd ask them to print out the email to prove it. If they had an email, they would still have a copy of it. If not, then it's to chat with the regional manager I go.

Thankfully, I've not had to deal with this level of crap with the EB's & GS's in my area, though I think I'd be blowing my stack if I drove 2 hours to get a game and it wasn't there.

Unfortunately this is one of the things we have to deal with. These game store employees don't make that much money so I understand they should get some perks with the job.

However if a game is in stock and the store says they will hold it for you thats a different story. Shaq fu them!

i work at gamecrazy, and I did buy RE2, 3, and Code Veronica for the cube when one guy traded all 3 in at once.. but RE2 and 3 had been sitting on the shelf for half a week, and Code Veronica for about another week, so it's not like I didn't let anyone have a chance at them.

And then these same losers complain when they get only 4 hours of work a week, or get paid 4.50 an hour. You're working at a BUSINESS. That business sells stuff to CUSTOMERS. Maybe if they worked harder [or at all] and didn't try to screw their customers, the company could afford to pay them more. Or, I don't know, f'ing QUIT and find another job.
If there was a game that came in, that I wanted, I would either buy it then or hope it doesn't sell before I can buy it. I wouldn't hide it somewhere or lie to a customer. LYING to a customer. I can't believe ANYone thinks that's okay.
If I was a manager, and I caught you lying to a legitimate customer, I'd fire you in a minute.

And sure, the computer is sometimes wrong, and games get misplaced/stolen/broken, but damn, if it's as widespread as these anecdotes make it sound, it's a wonder EB/GS have *any* games left to sell at all!

bread's done
Back