Great Japanese GBA/DS games that never/haven't made to the U.S.

Antic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
155 (100%)
Hey everyone. I'm not sure if there is a topic discussing this or anything, but I was curious of some games that were decent or better that were released in Japan that haven't made it to the states for the GBA and DS. I know that is subjective, but I'm looking for as many suggestions as I can get from people on CAG for all genres (RPG, Strategy, etc.). I'm taking Japanese, and I was looking for some games.

I appreciate the help! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some I think are worthwhile:
Digidrive, Dotstream, Soundvoyager and Rhythm Tengoku for GBA. None of these will really exercise your Japanese, but they're all good and haven't been released in the US.

For the DS, you can try Rhythm Tengoku Gold, Daigasso Band Bros, or Ouendan. If you want to exercise your Japanese, there are some good options. Kanken DS 2 is a good kanji trainer. There are a few variations of that Cooking Navi game. (There's the original, a dessert one, and a high class hotel chef version). If you're not bent on non-US releases, try picking up the Japanese versions of Brain Age or Pokemon.

Kuru Kuru Kururin and its sequel. Although I imported the first one from Europe, it never came here. :(

Jump Ultimate Stars? I haven't tried it yet myself, but the reviews seem to think it's great. It has plenty of Japanese storyline, so much so that you really need a translation guide to get through it properly.

Stafy games I never played them, but they looked good, Mother 1 & 2, and Mother 3 I was so hoping Nintindo would bring Mother 1 & 2 over as a test and if it did well we'd get the third one too ah well atleast I got my import copies of the three mother games. :cry:

No one has mentioned Orbital, except as an unnamed part of Bit Generations.

The really good:

Orbital
Dotstream
Ouendan 1/2
Daigasso original/DX
Rhythm Tengoku GBA/DS

The acquired tastes:

Digidrive
Kuru Kuru Kururin/Paradise
Nodame Cantabile
Jigsaw puzzle games (dogs, cats, soup, etc.)
Chousoujuu Mecha MG
Theta

Don't bother:

Touch Panic
Love and Berry
Coloring for a Relaxing Heart (or whatever the hell it is)

Best bets for Japanese text:

Chosoujuu Mecha MG
Nodame Cantabile

Theta is a bizarre game -- half of it is a puzzle game with rotating gears and dropping balls, and half of it is an aquarium. If you're a real puzzle/logic game freak, it's worth a look, but if you get stuck, you're pretty much stuck.

Chousoujuu is an awesome mech/transformers game. I still think it's better than the Transformers movie games.

Nodame Cantabile is great for classical music and fans of the anime. But it's way too easy.

Both of these last two have lots of cut scenes, with lots of dialogue. I think the Nodame Cantibile would be easier to read.

The Hajime no Ippo game for GBA is a pretty good game. At least I don't think it ever came out over here. It's pretty similar to Punch Out.

[quote name='zatos']Kuru Kuru Kururin and its sequel. Although I imported the first one from Europe, it never came here. :([/quote]
I have Kuru Kuru paridise, and although you can't understand much of the story, it's okay. fucking impossible though. ;)

Orbital and Soundvoyager are the only BG games I own. Both are great, just I looooooove Soundvoyager and love Orbital.

Thanks everyone for some suggestions. I knew of a couple, but it definitely helped me out. If anyone else has more games, feel free to say it.

There's a DS port of The Tower (Yoot Tower/Sim Tower) in Japan that I really want to see come out in the US. I'm pretty sure the GBA port of the Tower did poorly in the US because it was released after the DS came out (I decided to wait/hope for a DS version since touch screen controls are perfect for this game). I still hope that The Tower DS makes its way to the US since I really loved Sim Tower when I was younger.

My favorite of the Super Robot Wars games, Reversal.
As a Gundam fan, it actually included all the series I give a fig about.

Although for something easy... try W.

Jump Ultimate Stars as well as the Cheer Squad games tickle my fancy as well.

bread's done
Back