Great post from an ex(?)employee of Gamestop.

Good read.

I actually never shop at my local GameStop. I've actually had the best experiences shopping in GameCrazy.

the nearest gamestop here has old gamecrazy employees that were fired. except one who "left". They were always good guys to me though.

Most GS employees that I've come across tend to be. I've only come across two helpful and kind individuals.

I asked my wife if she could pick me up some screen protectors and one USB cable for my PSP, and the guy who helped her said no such thing existed (usb cable). Instead, he instructed her on how to connect the PSP into the Gamecube. Yes, the GAMECUBE. Gamestop is the best!

a good read.

I have very low expectations when I walk into a GS or EB. If Im pleasantly surprised by a knowledgeable employee that loves games, then great. Luckily im a highly informed consumer who doesnt need any help, but I do sometimes feel bad for the casual gamers and moms who walk into a GS and get snared by an employee spitting out all the corporate schpiel about trade ins and usedgame protection plans and reserves, bla bla bla...

But I never get angry at an employee for asking me if I want to trade stuff in, or reserve anything, I know that they have to do that. Same deal when the concessions person at the movie theater does the 'vanishing' or the 'eclipse' to get you to buy the gigantic sized soft drink. Do you really think they care what size drink you buy? They just want to keep their job.

great read, very funny but most of the rap he was giving has been stated before about (insert retailer name here).

Good read, I have never had a problem with GS or EB. However some of the people that work they are assholes but I never see them more then once I guess that they don't last. It seems when I go into a game store its the same 2-3 people and then about 50 other people throughout the month.

I liked what he said about employees thinking they are better then the customers. I was at a GS in the mall and the dude behind the counter was talking to his friends. "yea I got the first 360 preorderd. yea I'm 4th in line for a store key. Yea I get 15% off, Yea I stock the games" And his friends were like wow this place is great you are the best friend ever. So I'm standing in line waiting for the ass to quit running his mouth and ring me out. So I say to him and his friends yea he makes about $5.85 an hour to. They were like really thats it I make $6.15 at MickeyD's. then he was trying to say to them oh but we get commission on this and that blah blah.

Hey $5.85 you wanna ring me out. That pissed him off. He rather brag to his friends about stupid stuff then help a customer. but in General I have no problems with any game company.

I'm confused. The woman in the first paragraph got her Xbox 360 by bitching at the people and he condemns her. Whereas, later on in the post, he says to bitch at the employees by mentioning the DM's name? That seems rather incongruent.

Anyways, the one thing he neglects to mention is that just about any person who plays video games and works in a video game section of wherever will have that same nasty attitude (save for GameCrazy. The same thing happens at the local Game Exchange where the manager has that personality that makes it seem like he hates talking to you (as a customer) but only does it because he HAS to. With the exception of one employee, they all have that same bored attitude.

As a whole, I typically loathe talking to game store employees except to ask if they have such and such in stock somewhere. They certainly have that "I'm better than you" attitude going on more often than not.

That reminds me of a funny story. I was at Gamestop a while ago (Oakbrook center in Chicagoland). I was looking at something (probably GBA games, since i hadn't bought my PS2 yet) and the rep asked me a question. It eventually turned into a small discussion when he dropped this piece of info. He claimed to have worked at EGM a while back, and wrote a few guides for some games (I think it was either Majora's Mask or Ocarina of time for Ziff Davis publishing). Someone on the P-A forums confirmed that the same guy gave him the same spiel. I've since forgotten his name and thought him too weird to try and find out. So, I spit out some info that I remembered from my (admitably scant) memories of reading EGM (such as asking about shoe) long ago. Interestingly enough, he was quite knowledgeable about EGM. Which poses a few questions: If he worked for a publication with as much (relative) prestige as EGM, why is he working at Gamestop? If he was able to write for a living why is he working at Gamestop? If he made it all up, why? To impress me?

So, back on topic. I found the post to be pretty meh-tastic. Gave me a bunch of info on being a consumer I already knew. Told me a lot of things about retail that are pretty common. Bitched about employees in the same way we all have done before. The only thing worthwhile are the tips about saving money which will be dashed at the whim of a random 19 year old cashier (with acne).

Rarely do we actually do this, but some GameStop employees are known to sit on a customer until they cave.
ROFL that's exactly what my co-worker does.

Your best bet for a reliable opinion is to find one guy or girl in the store who seems to know what they're talking about and just talk to them. There's always at least one psycho gamer at each GS so just learn who it is at your store.
And that's me. :)

Yeah, I don't talk to any of the employees when I go into GS or EB. I either go in to specifically look at deals or just to browse some of the DS, GBA and older games, to see if I can find something. When I'm done, I'm gone. I've found that talking to them inevitably gets me pissed off, so I try to avoid it best I can.

bread's done
Back