Great Teacher Onizuka Manga

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Much to my dismay, I found out that Tokyopop stopped printing any more volumes of the GTO manga a couple of years ago. I am trying to track down a few volumes in particular without paying an arm and a leg. Volume 1 (amazon canceled my order when I initially placed it when I found out GTO was out of print =/) and Volume 23 are two volumes that I am particularly looking for.

I would prefer to buy the volumes new, but if anyone knows of a reputable place that sells used manga in near pristine condition, I would be willing to go that route as well. The Amazon Seller prices for these two particular volumes are pretty ridiculous.

If anyone knows anything, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

does it have to be new? You got marketplace seller selling volume 1 under very good condition for about a dollar.

[quote name='62t']does it have to be new? You got marketplace seller selling volume 1 under very good condition for about a dollar.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I was just wondering if anyone knew a reputable place/specific dealer to get used manga from. I'm a little leery of the marketplace after getting some "like new" textbooks that were in terrible shape. I've always been someone who has taken great care of his books and electronics.

I guess I made a mistake in my original post, it seems that Volume 1 can be had cheaply, but Volume 23 is still ridiculously expensive (I think it starts at 30$ used!) on Amazon. I already own volumes 21, 22, 24, and 25, so I would really like to get 23 as well.

Edit: After looking around, it also appears that Volume 16 is extremely high priced, as well. I wonder if these volumes were printed in lower quantities for some reason?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Tokyopop sucks and has sucked for at least a few years. Making GTO out of print further confirms this. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was not happy about this decision, either. I don't own any manga that's not GTO related. In fact, I've never even really wanted to own any manga that's not part of the GTO canon. I've owned the (licensed) anime for years and always intended on picking up the manga when I had the cash.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Tokyopop sucks and has sucked for at least a few years. Making GTO out of print further confirms this. That is all.[/QUOTE]

To be fair to TokyoPop, they didn't just let GTO go out of print. Kodansha chose not to renew their licenses, so they can't print any more copies. I'm sure they'd be happy to take your money if they could.

Meanwhile, my sadly incomplete collection of GTO: The Early Years stares at me from my bookshelf...

[quote name='BigHow']To be fair to TokyoPop, they didn't just let GTO go out of print. Kodansha chose not to renew their licenses, so they can't print any more copies. I'm sure they'd be happy to take your money if they could.

Meanwhile, my sadly incomplete collection of GTO: The Early Years stares at me from my bookshelf...[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, I remember hearing about that. Thanks for reminding me. fuck you, Kodansha!

Tokyopop still publishes way too much shitty manga. I remember when they used to publish like 5-10 volumes a month that I would eagerly buy.... Now I haven't bought anything from Tokyopop in at least a couple years.

[quote name='BigHow']To be fair to TokyoPop, they didn't just let GTO go out of print. Kodansha chose not to renew their licenses, so they can't print any more copies. I'm sure they'd be happy to take your money if they could.

Meanwhile, my sadly incomplete collection of GTO: The Early Years stares at me from my bookshelf...[/QUOTE]

This rite here pissed me the fuck off when I found that no more volumes were gonna be translated. They had 5 more volumes before that series was over. This and the other manga series, Priest. 17 volumes in and the last one was printed, what 2-3 years ago with still no conclusion of the story and now there is a shit-tastic movie coming out which has nothing to do with the series other than a character who is a priest. fuck TOKYOPOP!:censored:

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']This rite here pissed me the fuck off when I found that no more volumes were gonna be translated. They had 5 more volumes before that series was over. This and the other manga series, Priest. 17 volumes in and the last one was printed, what 2-3 years ago with still no conclusion of the story and now there is a shit-tastic movie coming out which has nothing to do with the series other than a character who is a priest. fuck TOKYOPOP!:censored:[/QUOTE]

Oh geeze, I just discovered that Shonan Junai Gumi was incomplete after reading this post...I assumed Volume 10 was the last one when the volumes stopped printing last February. And I asked for Volumes 7-10 for Christmas, too.

Oh yeah, if any CAGs have a like new or close to like new copy (minor shelf wear) of GTO Volume 23 that they are willing to part with, I'd be interested in potentially buying (would be willing to pay around 25-30$) or trading some stuff for it. I really want this one volume in particular, really badly.

[quote name='darkcecil32']Oh geeze, I just discovered that Shonan Junai Gumi was incomplete after reading this post...I assumed Volume 10 was the last one when the volumes stopped printing last February. And I asked for Volumes 7-10 for Christmas, too.

Oh yeah, if any CAGs have a like new or close to like new copy (minor shelf wear) of GTO Volume 23 that they are willing to part with, I'd be interested in potentially buying (would be willing to pay around 25-30$) or trading some stuff for it. I really want this one volume in particular, really badly.[/QUOTE]

Geez, these books are rare now a days huh?? I remember picking up the whole collection vol 1-25 on ebay a couple years back for $80 I believe. I love GTO as a whole, from the books, to the anime, the live action stuff and the music. Great characters, stories are fun and touching and the art is beautiful. I wish you good luck on the hunt dude!;)

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Geez, these books are rare now a days huh?? I remember picking up the whole collection vol 1-25 on ebay a couple years back for $80 I believe. I love GTO as a whole, from the books, to the anime, the live action stuff and the music. Great characters, stories are fun and touching and the art is beautiful. I wish you good luck on the hunt dude!;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yeah, I was shocked to discover GTO was out of print. Some of the volumes, most notably 10, 15, and 23, have really high prices on amazon. I've already read all of the Tokyopop volumes over the years and planned to grab them slowly over time when I really had some disposable income. That idea's gone out the window in a hurry. Now I'm going to try to grab them as fast as I can. I didn't realize just how much I wanted to own the manga til I found out it was out of print ;).

Normally, I'd almost never be willing to pay over MSRP for something, but GTO is a notable exception. It is easily my favorite manga, and when the anime wasn't in filler mode (most of the second half), one of my favorite animes as well.

Kodansha is re-entering the American market, don't be surprised if you don't see some sort of reprint of GTO in a couple of years.

[quote name='Izod517']Kodansha is re-entering the American market, don't be surprised if you don't see some sort of reprint of GTO in a couple of years.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hope this happens. I pretty much have the entire Tokyopop line already, but I want GTO to continue to succeed and gain as much popularity as it can. However, they better finish Shonan Junai Gumi, at the very least.

I'm expecting 14 Days in Shounan, as well, even though so far it hasn't been all that great imho. I still have decent hopes for it, though, especially after the introduction of a certain second female caretaker at the White Swan.

I really hope Fujisawa decides to do a proper GTO sequel after 14 Days in Shounan finishes its (supposedly) short run. Onizuka is too great of a character to not have some more interesting, wild, escapades.

bread's done
Back