Green Lantern blu-ray Extended Cut - $7.50 at Walmart

[quote name='blindinglights']How bad is this?

Like Eric Bana Hulk bad? Worse? Better?[/QUOTE]
Better than Hulk. I actually really enjoyed it, it just wasn't nearly as good as it could've been.

I always thought that movie is highly underrated and misunderstood. Green Lantern is fun but no great. I would rate it on the same level as some of the marvel movies such as Thor or Captain America.

Everyone thought that Green Lantern was terrible, but it's definitely better and more entertaining than 2003 Hulk (which I just saw recently and thought was just god awful). For 7.50, it's definitely worth a blind buy.

I saw this at my Wal-Mart as well. It was on an endcap of $7.50 BluRays. It caught me off guard at first. It is just the BluRay movie, not the BluRay/DVD/UV Copy pack, which was still marked at $20 I believe.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I always thought that movie is highly underrated and misunderstood. Green Lantern is fun but no great. I would rate it on the same level as some of the marvel movies such as Thor or Captain America.[/QUOTE]

lolwut? We must have watched different Cap/Thor movies. Not saying lantern is bad (see post #2 in this thread), but it's not even in the same league as Cap or Thor.

As always, all of the above is IMO :)

I was never a green lantern fan yet I really enjoyed this movie. Just don't go in expecting something deep,serious, and epic. It's just a good fun movie.

[quote name='houdinilogic']lolwut? We must have watched different Cap/Thor movies. Not saying lantern is bad (see post #2 in this thread), but it's not even in the same league as Cap or Thor.

As always, all of the above is IMO :)[/QUOTE]

IMO you're overrating Thor :D

Seriously. Natalie Portman's entire role seemed to be an attempt to sabotage it.

[quote name='houdinilogic']lolwut? We must have watched different Cap/Thor movies. Not saying lantern is bad (see post #2 in this thread), but it's not even in the same league as Cap or Thor.

As always, all of the above is IMO :)[/QUOTE]

No Cap/Thor were leagues better than Green Lantern. I thought the Green Hornet was a somewhat entertaining movie, and I try to give anything a chance, but GL I ended up turning off. I thought it was pretty terrible.

But Cap/Thor were both pretty good movies, especially Cap.

We had free tix to see it in the theater and it kept us entertained for 2 hours. After seeing Avengers, I have a sudden desire to pick up all the recent super hero movies. I would put the Iron Man and Cap.America in front of this one, but would say it's about as good as Thor.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I always thought that movie is highly underrated and misunderstood. Green Lantern is fun but no great. I would rate it on the same level as some of the marvel movies such as Thor or Captain America.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:# Thor and Captain America >>>>> Green Lantern by a mile, not even close, maybe even 10 miles.

Captain America
79% Critics
75% Audience Approval
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

Thor
77% Critics
80% Audience Approval
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor/

Green Lantern
27% Critics
54% Audience Approval
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/770677993/

:whistle2:#

There's a reason why it flopped in the box office. It was targeted towards kids and was just mostly a mess with probably the most plot holes in any comic book film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/thread/184439327

[quote name='plus1zero']No Cap/Thor were leagues better than Green Lantern. I thought the Green Hornet was a somewhat entertaining movie, and I try to give anything a chance, but GL I ended up turning off. I thought it was pretty terrible.

But Cap/Thor were both pretty good movies, especially Cap.[/QUOTE]

I found Green Hornet to be pretty entertaining. It had a good mix of humor/action.

As far as GL goes, I don't really like it, but it's alright. As sad as it is, giant cloud Parallax that's around for five minutes is better than any of the bad guys in the Marvel Studios movies.

They really need to work on having good villains.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Green Lantern
27% Critics
54% Audience Approval

There's a reason why it flopped in the box office. It was targeted towards kids and was just mostly a mess with probably the most plot holes in any comic book film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/thread/184439327[/QUOTE]

It's not going to win any oscars, but it's entertaining - and that's all I look for in a movie - to be entertained. No, it won't "move" you or change your life. And even if it's not better than this or that movie, it's not really the point of the thread because those movies are not $7.50 at Walmart right now.

[quote name='whoknows']As far as GL goes, I don't really like it, but it's alright. As sad as it is, giant cloud Parallax that's around for five minutes is better than any of the bad guys in the Marvel Studios movies.
[/QUOTE]
I don't know about that.

Sure that giant cloud was only on screen for 5 mins, but it was defeated in just under 1 minute.

It got easily fooled into following Hal and getting sucked into the sun, and took just 1 punching glove to face to kill it. Pretty boring and anticlimactic.

Anyway they've been showing Green Lantern on TV every other Saturday night or so. It's been on the FX and Epix channel if anyone wants to check it out free 1st before making a decision to purchase.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']:whistle2:# Thor and Captain America >>>>> Green Lantern by a mile, not even close, maybe even 10 miles.

Captain America
79% Critics
75% Audience Approval
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

Thor
77% Critics
80% Audience Approval
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor/

Green Lantern
27% Critics
54% Audience Approval

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/thread/184439327[/QUOTE]
Green Lantern had a lot of (stupid) controversy around release which was a factor in how well it did box office wise.

Also I'd give the award of most plot holes to Iron Man 2.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']I don't know about that.

Sure that giant cloud was only on screen for 5 mins, but it was defeated in just under 1 minute.

It got easily fooled into following Hal and getting sucked into the sun, and took just 1 punching glove to face to kill it. Pretty boring and anticlimactic.

Anyway they've been showing Green Lantern on TV every other Saturday night or so. It's been on the FX and Epix channel if anyone wants to check it out free 1st before making a decision to purchase.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think Parallax was a good villain (in the movie anyways) by any stretch, but at least he kind of seemed like a threat and was sort of memorable (even if it's for the wrong reasons).

They get great actors to play the villains in the Marvel Studios movies, but they don't do a good job making the villains be anything more than forgettable.

[quote name='plus1zero']No Cap/Thor were leagues better than Green Lantern[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant... Re-reading my post now, it is a little unclear, but I definitely didn't mean to imply that GL was better.

It's bad. Much worse than Eric bana hulk. But $7.50 isn't bad if you are a huge fan of super hero movies. Just don't pay more than $7.50 for it.

I sort of wanted to see until until this. Those movies are so wrong it is, literally, painful. That said, the Bana Hulk movie is beyond atrocious. I actually saw it online and I thought for years that I had somehow seen an unfinished version until my wife affirmed that no, that was indeed the finished effects. Honestly, I'm still not sure I quite believe her. I truthfully don't recall seeing worse CG, um, anywhere. And, well, pretty much everything else was wrong about the movie as well.

[quote name='whoknows']Green Lantern had a lot of (stupid) controversy around release which was a factor in how well it did box office wise.

Also I'd give the award of most plot holes to Iron Man 2.

I didn't think Parallax was a good villain (in the movie anyways) by any stretch, but at least he kind of seemed like a threat and was sort of memorable (even if it's for the wrong reasons).

They get great actors to play the villains in the Marvel Studios movies, but they don't do a good job making the villains be anything more than forgettable.[/QUOTE]
Got to disagree with you my friend.

GL not only had the most plot holes, but it had the most plot devices too for any "huge" cb movie.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/thread/184439327

Also Parallax was as disappointing as Galactus in FF: RotS. He's supposed to be the biggest threat in the GL universe that countless other GL's couldn't stop him. But in the movie he just shows up, eats people, only to get pulled into the sun, all that in 5 minutes. Destroyer and Abomination are heaps better, and even Iron Monger was actually able put up a fight.

GL the movie is better than Hulk 2003, imho, but it's around the same level as the 1st Ghost Rider mixed in with the Fantastic Four.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_rider/

Ghost Rider:
Critics = 27%
Audience = 56%

Green Lantern:
Critics = 27%
Audience = 47%

Everyone can debate this over and over but the masses have already spoken, Green Lantern is just generally not good.

I spent $1 on this at Redbox -- I would have been happier with that dollar. I'm a fan of comics and Ryan Reynolds, and I have to say this movie was terrible. Got some mild entertainment out of the game tie-in, but this was not a good movie.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I spent $1 on this at Redbox -- I would have been happier with that dollar. I'm a fan of comics and Ryan Reynolds, and I have to say this movie was terrible. Got some mild entertainment out of the game tie-in, but this was not a good movie.[/QUOTE]

You could've saved that $1.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']...Anyway they've been showing Green Lantern on TV every other Saturday night or so.

It's been on the FX and Epix channel if anyone wants to check it out free 1st before making a decision to purchase.[/QUOTE]

Really guys, every time I come into one of these movie thread about superhero movies people are complaining about plot holes or plot devices. You guys have to be kidding. we are talking about movies about people (or often humanish aliens) who have incredible powers. And these characters were largely created to appeal to 10 year olds. The very nature of that calls for plot holes and ridiculous cliches, because there is no good explanation for how all of this came to be.
This movie was alright though. It was fun, if not particularly memorable.

[quote name='haywire69']Could we forget about weather the movie sucked or not and focus on finding this movie for this price in store.[/QUOTE]

Its instore only...

Its on the seasonal dvd endcap with a sticker on the case promoting vudu's disc to digital program.

[quote name='ackbar7']Really guys, every time I come into one of these movie thread about superhero movies people are complaining about plot holes or plot devices. You guys have to be kidding. we are talking about movies about people (or often humanish aliens) who have incredible powers. And these characters were largely created to appeal to 10 year olds. The very nature of that calls for plot holes and ridiculous cliches, because there is no good explanation for how all of this came to be.
This movie was alright though. It was fun, if not particularly memorable.[/QUOTE]

No to everything you said. The plot should make sense in its universe, no matter how outlandish / creative it is. You don't need to explain anything really, as long as the rules established in the universe are followed. Comics are not created for ten year olds, but most likely older teens. It sounds like your are trying to justify liking a bad movie.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Got to disagree with you my friend.

GL not only had the most plot holes, but it had the most plot devices too for any "huge" cb movie.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/thread/184439327

Also Parallax was as disappointing as Galactus in FF: RotS. He's supposed to be the biggest threat in the GL universe that countless other GL's couldn't stop him. But in the movie he just shows up, eats people, only to get pulled into the sun, all that in 5 minutes. Destroyer and Abomination are heaps better, and even Iron Monger was actually able put up a fight.

GL the movie is better than Hulk 2003, imho, but it's around the same level as the 1st Ghost Rider mixed in with the Fantastic Four.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_rider/

Ghost Rider:
Critics = 27%
Audience = 56%

Green Lantern:
Critics = 27%
Audience = 47%

Everyone can debate this over and over but the masses have already spoken, Green Lantern is just generally not good.[/QUOTE]

If I have to look up plot holes online to know they're there, then they don't matter to me (not to mention a lot of the things listed there aren't really plot holes, from what I read of the list anyways).

Iron Man 2 just had so many stupid moments and plot holes I couldn't help but notice them, and I don't look for that kind of stuff when I'm watching a movie, I just try to enjoy it. Iron Man 2 was just that stupid. Not to mention the terrible, terrible villain. I wouldn't really compare Parallax to RoTS Galactus any further than they're giant cloud like things. Galactus did nothing in the movie. Also Iron Monger died in a lamer way then falling into the sun. Destroyer and Abomination were pretty forgettable to me at least.

Thanks for reminding me the masses are always right though. I must have forgotten.

[quote name='jwizzle5786']No to everything you said. The plot should make sense in its universe, no matter how outlandish / creative it is. You don't need to explain anything really, as long as the rules established in the universe are followed. Comics are not created for ten year olds, but most likely older teens. It sounds like your are trying to justify liking a bad movie.[/QUOTE]
Did you not read my last sentence? I thought it was alright, not some great classic. Sort of the classic, forgettable summer action movie.
And if I can explain what I meant before, let's take Capt. America for example. By involving WWII the universe is our own, but we are supposed to believe that 1 hero with super powers tipped the balance of power in that war. This sets us up mentally to buy into other inconsistencies without thinking about it too much.

[quote name='jwizzle5786']What inconsistencies are talking about in regards to Captain America?[/QUOTE]
Capt. America sets us up to accept the universe as involving WWII. But Hitler is not the evil behind the Nazis. That in the 40s American scientists were able to chemically/genetically create a super soldier, but in the 70 years since no once was able to duplicate that experiment. All I am saying is that all of historical stuff CA brings up is on its face absurd, like all comic books. So calling out other comics for having stuff that is inconsistent seems silly to me. None of this stuff is anything one can think too hard about.

[quote name='ackbar7']Capt. America sets us up to accept the universe as involving WWII. But Hitler is not the evil behind the Nazis. That in the 40s American scientists were able to chemically/genetically create a super soldier, but in the 70 years since no once was able to duplicate that experiment. All I am saying is that all of historical stuff CA brings up is on its face absurd, like all comic books. So calling out other comics for having stuff that is inconsistent seems silly to me. None of this stuff is anything one can think too hard about.[/QUOTE]

The exact super soldier process that created Cap was never truly recreated but not for lack of trying. The recent Hulk film actually has a subpar copy of the serum used to amplify that mercenary that later became the Abomination. The comics had similar attempt lead to the creation of other heroes/villains as well. Even the 90s Spiderman animated series had a plot with the Black Cat's father being hired by the Red Skull to get a copy of the formula which led to a subpar replica of it.

[quote name='jwizzle5786']What shinzer said. Frankly, I'm surprised you're able to read / watch anything that is fiction.[/QUOTE]
I was actually making the exact opposite point. Comic books are generally silly fun that can't be analyzed too critically because their world is not logically constructed, so don't worry about it and enjoy the movies.
And I do get what shinzer was saying, but I was only talking about the movie which I see as (at least potentially) an entirely different world than the one that was created in the comics or any other show/spin off. One just never knows the direction any of this stuff will take.

I thought Green Lantern was an awesome movie and was easily one of my favorite comic book movies. I am a huge green lantern fan though so I may be slightly biased lol.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']It's bad. Much worse than Eric bana hulk. But $7.50 isn't bad if you are a huge fan of super hero movies. Just don't pay more than $7.50 for it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I paid $10 for the blu ray + DVD + digital copy during Black Friday, thinking it was worth it as I remember being entertained when I saw it in the theater. After watching it a 2nd time, I realized I overpaid for the Blu at $10 and re-sold it. Reynolds was OK, and the constructs were well done, but the movie was shit. Warner Bros still doesn't seem to have a grasp on the DC heroes beyond Batman. They tried to make a by-the-numbers-Marvel-type movie (Daddy issues! Hero self-doubt! Hero/villain/girl connection!) without realizing Green Lantern is not a Marvel hero. Very disappointing. I'd put this one above the Catwomans and Elektras but WAY below Thor and Captain America.

Movie was ok but was at walmart and bought it anyways. Only seen the theatrical version and wouldn't mind watching the extras. Has 2 coupons for disc to digital service for 2 dollars off. I might use it since I do use the vudu app on my xbox. I might find 2 blurays I watch often and use the coupons to get that done.

Heads up on the vudu dtd.

Its a bitch with a lot of films, like it doesn't have a lot of newer films availible, huge amount of films are only sd format, and they have to stamp your disc(to prevent pass along copying)

bread's done
Back