Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

Ubisoft deals finally hit the NA site.  $9.99 for Far Cry 3 Deluxe was looking great to use my credit until I realized I was a penny short from the voucher :(

It's not the steam version anyways...
Am I really the only one who buys Ubi games for Uplay and EA games for Origin?

Honestly, especially when it comes to Ubi, I don't see any point to having them on Steam. You guys do realize launching new Ubi games on Steam launches Uplay, and THEN launches your game, right?

Honestly, especially when it comes to Ubi, I don't see any point to having them on Steam. You guys do realize launching new Ubi games on Steam launches Uplay, and THEN launches your game, right?
Ubi? Maybe. EA? No (for obvious reasons.)

The main reason to buy Ubisoft games on Steam is because of the sales on the DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ubi? Maybe. EA? No (for obvious reasons.)

The main reason to buy Ubisoft games on Steam is because of the sales on the DLC.
I'm curious. What do you mean by obvious reasons? If you mean dislike for EA, fair enough. But I don't get the hate for Origin as a platform.

Was it made because EA wanted more money? Yeah, and it's kinda lame (Ubi did the same thing though), but it's not like Origin is terrible, I mean it's got offline-mode iirc, has a decent amount of sales (not Steam-level, but decent) , you can run it in Sandboxie if you're worried about its access to your files (Steam has more or less the same access), it's down a lot less often than Steam AND you can actually redeem codes through the website as well as the client (a revolutionary idea that even DESURA has adopted, that Steam has not).

But maybe I'm just biased after the nice Origin bundle we got, I mean getting more Origin users was one of the main points. :bouncy:

I haven't even received that first 50 cents for linking the steam account, let alone all the other rewards (achievements are showing up fine) and this is after like 4 emails with them, and all they do is copy and paste the exact same crap about "please state your email/accountname/missing rewards/screenshot" etc. 1 email at a time (and they take a week to reply each time) even though I already have all these info by my second email... I doubt they even read what you write..

I'm curious. What do you mean by obvious reasons? If you mean dislike for EA, fair enough. But I don't get the hate for Origin as a platform.
I think you've misread the question that I was answering (or misinterpreted my answer.)

If I answered in full, my post would have been something like: "You're not the only one who buys EA games for Origin (obviously, since their new games are Origin-only.)"

I think you've misread the question that I was answering (or misinterpreted my answer.)

If I answered in full, my post would have been something like: "You're not the only one who buys EA games for Origin (obviously, since their new games are Origin-only.)"
Ohhhhhh, my bad. Don't mind me, I'm just dumb early in the morning.

Extremely tempted by the current Tomb Raider GOTY deal on GMG. It's $10.49, $8.40 after applying the 20% off code PLOCVS-G2T5YX-DATY6M. I think this is the lowest price ever and I have a $1 GMG credit from Playfire.

Edit: I guess if it hits 75% off in the next Steam sale it'll be even cheaper. Time to idle moar cardz.
The dlc for this game is worthless. Maps and skins for a multiplayer mode no one plays, early unlocks for the campaign which you'll have no trouble getting normally, and the one considered worth getting is a 5 minute tomb. In addition, the base game, which is all you need here, has been $4.99 or $3.99 (after EC credit at amazon). I'm glad this is out of stock as the GOTY is a terrible version of an excellent game.

I try to get everything on Steam just so I can spend hours scrolling my library up and down, naked. If a game is only on Uplay or Origin, I'll buy it there instead. My favorite are games that I can buy/redeem on Steam that have Uplay integration, best of both worlds. I'm all about digital shelves and naked scrolling.

I try to get everything on Steam just so I can spend hours scrolling my library up and down, naked. If a game is only on Uplay or Origin, I'll buy it there instead. My favorite are games that I can buy/redeem on Steam that have Uplay integration, best of both worlds. I'm all about digital shelves and naked scrolling.
I do a lot of naked strolling; really freaks out the neighbors.

Maybe..? I really cannot answer for everyone.

And, yes, I know that its going to launch uplay...

For myself I chose to use as few digital programs as possible... And, lets not lie to each other and say that Ubisoft's track record regarding is anything other than checked when it comes to PC and DRM. EA's might be slightly better, the same, or worse depending upon who you ask. So why would I support them?

If Ubisoft and/or EA took a dirt nap and their properties got sold off individually (like THQ did) its rather unlikely that all of them would end up under one house... So its more likely than unlikely that Uplay/Origin would both be dead. So which platform would you rather have a game on when that happened? Steam were a quick patch could likely remove the offending uplay/origin links or that game on uplay/origin were you have no idea if the new company will even support it...

Guess what I'm saying is that Uplay and/or Origin have a better chance of becoming the next GfWL than Steam does...

For myself I chose to use as few digital programs as possible... And, lets not lie to each other and say that Ubisoft's track record regarding is anything other than checked when it comes to PC and DRM. EA's might be slightly better, the same, or worse depending upon who you ask. So why would I support them?

If Ubisoft and/or EA took a dirt nap and their properties got sold off individually (like THQ did) its rather unlikely that all of them would end up under one house... So its more likely than unlikely that Uplay/Origin would both be dead. So which platform would you rather have a game on when that happened? Steam were a quick patch could likely remove the offending uplay/origin links or that game on uplay/origin were you have no idea if the new company will even support it...

Guess what I'm saying is that Uplay and/or Origin have a better chance of becoming the next GfWL than Steam does...
If Uplay is dead then you still couldn't play Far Cry 3 on Steam, unless in their last dying breath Ubisoft said "let's remove Uplay integration from the game before we go out of business." So there's that.

Which was covered in my post...
Just judging from the time between THQ going out of business and the new companies picking up the IPs and re-releasing them, there's going to be a gap either way, likely in months, where you still wouldn't be able to play them. And again, that's assuming they would patch it out.

I personally don't think Ubisoft is going anywhere so I'm not worried.

So out of the blue I just got this email from Playfire

Buzzzz ... *beep* ... KLANK! ... DING!

We've finished importing your game activity from Steam. We've crunched the numbers and it's looking good. You've got:

[SIZE=1.6em]1673 [/SIZE] games​
[SIZE=1.6em]2119 [/SIZE] achievements​
Nice one! We'll automatically check every 24 hours to see what you've been playing.
Does this mean they finally got their shit together and my credits are going to be applied without having to email support constantly? Anyone else get this recently?

I haven't even received that first 50 cents for linking the steam account, let alone all the other rewards (achievements are showing up fine) and this is after like 4 emails with them, and all they do is copy and paste the exact same crap about "please state your email/accountname/missing rewards/screenshot" etc. 1 email at a time (and they take a week to reply each time) even though I already have all these info by my second email... I doubt they even read what you write..
Yup! This sounds like the same perpetual loop I'm in as well. :whee:

Everything tracks on Playfire, credits don't transfer to GMG, and I'm left with a 3 month collection of Playfire support emails that don't show any resolve.

I'm not buying a damn thing from GMG until I get all of my free quarters, nickles and dimes! After all, they've had such a nice run of sales, discounts, and wonderful coupon code restrictions lately.

So out of the blue I just got this email from Playfire

Does this mean they finally got their shit together and my credits are going to be applied without having to email support constantly? Anyone else get this recently?
No, they just wanted to let you know all the games an achievements you won't be getting any credit for. Thanks for using Playfire.

Haven't received any rewards since my initial joining.  Asked GMG if they could find out what was up.  [customspoiler=Their response.]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-rYlw1rRI[/customspoiler]

Does that mean that they gave you the canned response, or that they said you didn't qualify?
Neither.

I have actually pretty much given up on GMG. Between this weak self-promoting Playfire garbage and the newly imposed voucher restrictions, I now rate GMG at or slightly below:

meh-button-45580535075_xlarge.jpeg

Neither.

I have actually pretty much given up on GMG. Between this weak self-promoting Playfire garbage and the newly imposed voucher restrictions, I now rate GMG at or slightly below meh.
It's sad. They used to be my favourite game store, but thanks to their brilliant "let's pay people to use our crap service" marketing, they've fallen back below Steam itself.

Neither.

I have actually pretty much given up on GMG. Between this weak self-promoting Playfire garbage and the newly imposed voucher restrictions, I now rate GMG at or slightly below:

meh-button-45580535075_xlarge.jpeg
Eh, still much better than Gamersgate. Even if the Playfire crap doesn't work (which was a nice bonus nobody ever expected), there's still some semblance of a rewards system for purchases(credit and cash). And Gamersgate doesn't even ever have vouchers.

Eh, still much better than Gamersgate.
Here are some other things better than Gamersgate:

• Waking up to find your dog puked all over your room
  • Falling down the stairs and breaking your hip
  • Pooping your pants on a date
  • Mooby's taste in games
  • Ebook humble bundles
  • Reading mysterd's rants on drm. All of them. Ever. At once.

Eh, still much better than Gamersgate. Even if the Playfire crap doesn't work (which was a nice bonus nobody ever expected), there's still some semblance of a rewards system for purchases(credit and cash). And Gamersgate doesn't even ever have vouchers.
GamersGate does have a rewards system for purchases.. its called Blue Coins. GamersGate doesn't normally have vouchers, but a lot of CAGs had the 20% off discount for about 2 years (1 year for IGN prime and another year for price mistake compensation). Not saying GG isn't terrible, but they weren't that bad when some of us had the 20% off discount.

GamersGate does have a rewards system for purchases.. its called Blue Coins. GamersGate doesn't normally have vouchers, but a lot of CAGs had the 20% off discount for about 2 years (1 year for IGN prime and another year for price mistake compensation). Not saying GG isn't terrible, but they weren't that bad when some of us had the 20% off discount.
Ah, was before my time. I was aware of the Blue Coins (which are only a 5% rebate.. :/ but there are other ways to earn them at least), I was just saying Playfire not working doesn't mean that you can't still get GMG monies.

Missed out on the 20% though, darn.

Your use of the word 'much' is perplexing.
I suppose it is. I just appreciate an extra 20% off on the prices Gamersgate has, and the occasional receiving of Playfire rewards (which I think is a pretty generous system, even if it's lack of functionality is inexcusable).

GMG had a nice little thing going and then they got greedy. The $10 minimum for coupons to work is ridiculous (if they ever work). GMG use to be a good place for picking up cheap DLC too, but no dice!

2544088.jpg

If you were choosing to use as few digital programs as possible, you'd be launching Uplay games from Uplay, not Steam AND Uplay at the same time. So that doesn't really make sense.

As for Origin and Uplay, I seriously doubt they're going anywhere any time soon. They're both solid, relatively well made clients backed by profitable companies with extremely popular series. Not only that, in some ways Uplay is superior to Steam. The reward points system to buy certain DLC content and extras is awesome, the download times are great (better than Steam for me, no kidding), and all and all the layout is clean and effective.

I still prefer Steam, don't get me wrong, but I'm with you when you say that you like to use as few programs as possible. I use Steam, Desura, Origin, and Uplay. I refuse to use Crapsule, Impulse, etc as clients, not to mention I try to avoid buying DRM-free games on GameFly because I don't like their client much either. But since I like to use as few programs as possible, that's WHY I buy Ubi games on Uplay so I don't have to run two clients at once to play those games. Same goes for Origin games like Sims 3 that launch Origin even when played on Steam (I think that's how that one is).

Here are some other things better than Gamersgate:

• Waking up to find your dog puked all over your room
  • Falling down the stairs and breaking your hip
  • Pooping your pants on a date
  • Mooby's taste in games
  • Ebook humble bundles
  • Reading mysterd's rants on drm. All of them. Ever. At once.
All of my rants must combine into one BIG as Hell novel or something.

If you were choosing to use as few digital programs as possible, you'd be launching Uplay games from Uplay, not Steam AND Uplay at the same time. So that doesn't really make sense.

As for Origin and Uplay, I seriously doubt they're going anywhere any time soon. They're both solid, relatively well made clients backed by profitable companies with extremely popular series. Not only that, in some ways Uplay is superior to Steam. The reward points system to buy certain DLC content and extras is awesome, the download times are great (better than Steam for me, no kidding), and all and all the layout is clean and effective.

I still prefer Steam, don't get me wrong, but I'm with you when you say that you like to use as few programs as possible. I use Steam, Desura, Origin, and Uplay. I refuse to use Crapsule, Impulse, etc as clients, not to mention I try to avoid buying DRM-free games on GameFly because I don't like their client much either. But since I like to use as few programs as possible, that's WHY I buy Ubi games on Uplay so I don't have to run two clients at once to play those games. Same goes for Origin games like Sims 3 that launch Origin even when played on Steam (I think that's how that one is).
This is wrong

Steam+Uplay lite is better than just Uplay

this is a fact

I kind of like the layouts on UPlay and even Origin for having a few games, but if I had 1500 on either of them I think it would be much too much to deal with.

I don't mind using Steam and UPlay together. Eh, it's fine. I don't see the problem. Some games on Steam user launchers it's not much different. I'd still rather have the game attached to My Steam account (unless it's free like AC IV was with my video card) but I'm not really fussed if uses UPlay on top.

I mean, I purposely run Diablo III via the Battle.net launcher through Steam even though I don't have to because I want the Steam overlay and chat and so forth.

I'd still much rather have multiple clients than the shitty activation limit Ubi used to use.

I kind of like the layouts on UPlay and even Origin for having a few games, but if I had 1500 on either of them I think it would be much too much to deal with.

I don't mind using Steam and UPlay together. Eh, it's fine. I don't see the problem. Some games on Steam user launchers it's not much different. I'd still rather have the game attached to My Steam account (unless it's free like AC IV was with my video card) but I'm not really fussed if uses UPlay on top.

I mean, I purposely run Diablo III via the Battle.net launcher through Steam even though I don't have to because I want the Steam overlay and chat and so forth.

I'd still much rather have multiple clients than the shitty activation limit Ubi used to use.
For my Non-Steam games, yeah - I also always add them to Steam; especially since everybody uses Steam. Just in case friends are looking for me.

Wait - MysterD has Friends?

That's news to both me and him!

For my Non-Steam games, yeah - I also always add them to Steam; especially since everybody uses Steam. Just in case friends are looking for me.

im confused...are you talking about your penis here or yourself in the third person?

Next time I'm in Boston we're hanging out. You're buying me some pizza and we're going to the mall, I'll see if I can find someone who will sleep with you, and you will speak of my visit for the rest of your life.

bread's done
Back