Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

[quote name='valenor the bored']Go to the website. At the drop down menu from your screen name, click on the keys tab. You should find your key in there.[/QUOTE]

Wow. The "durrrrrrrr" heard 'round the world haha. I just kept looking under the plain "My Account" page and scratching my head like a goon.

Thanks!

so the CE of Alan Wake is complimentary through Steam until 2/23 (all copies are $30 and automatically CE), does this mean redeeming vanilla AW from GMG won't grant CE material when redeemed on Steam?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']You gotta apply the coupon code for the extra 33% off.[/QUOTE]
i did, first two times didn't work, i got it now, thanks

[quote name='Mr. Spinnington']so the CE of Alan Wake is complimentary through Steam until 2/23 (all copies are $30 and automatically CE), does this mean redeeming vanilla AW from GMG won't grant CE material when redeemed on Steam?[/QUOTE]

This is speculation, but that is probably a native steam only deal. GMG keys for alan wake usually are slightly different (internally of how steam recognizes it aka 3rd party steam key) so it prob would just give you the standard alan wake game.

Again, just a guess based on how steam does thing in the past, but maybe James (GMG rep) can comment on this for us :)

[quote name='justasplanned']fuck it, for Alan Wake, I'll join

Can anyone remind me what's the most hassle free way to pay in this site?
Was it Paypal with bank account or Paypal with credit card?[/QUOTE]
No difference since you are using Paypal either way. just make sure your GMG email address matches your Paypal address.

[quote name='justasplanned']fuck it, for Alan Wake, I'll join

Can anyone remind me what's the most hassle free way to pay in this site?
Was it Paypal with bank account or Paypal with credit card?[/QUOTE]

I've used paypal a few times with GMG without issues. Funds were taken out of my back account.

[quote name='kosmos13x']This is speculation, but that is probably a native steam only deal. GMG keys for alan wake usually are slightly different (internally of how steam recognizes it aka 3rd party steam key) so it prob would just give you the standard alan wake game.

Again, just a guess based on how steam does thing in the past, but maybe James (GMG rep) can comment on this for us :)[/QUOTE]
i figure just as much, but want to be sure before making a purchase. it's looking a gift horse in the mouth a bit, but $3 is money saved for other content

[quote name='Mr. Spinnington']so the CE of Alan Wake is complimentary through Steam until 2/23 (all copies are $30 and automatically CE), does this mean redeeming vanilla AW from GMG won't grant CE material when redeemed on Steam?[/QUOTE]

Since it wasn't bought from Steam, No.

There's absolutely no excuse for not having experienced Alan Wake now! Easily one of my favorite games of 2010, bought this one right away again on PC (Missed the last DLC on the 360 version, looking forward to playing it now). $20 is a great price for the full game and both DLC packs included

Hey guys, can you help me understand this game? Been doing a little research into it (stuck in work atm though) but like to know more via cag community.

So is it a straight up horror game (scary), or action adventure, or what? Any insight would be awesome. I need a game to play to tie me over for a week and a half and kind of interested in jumping on this :)

It's more suspense than horror. It's got horror themes, a cthuloid evil entity and shadowy monsters pursuing you in the woods... but all the shadowy monsters are just shadow possessed guys who throw axes at you with staggering accuracy. You can't really be any more frightened of them than the average video game enemy.

Most of the gameplay is you stumbling through the woods and battling/running from the forces of darkness. The combat is definitely in focus here. It's weighty, powerful, in a magic sense.... it's just a fun game in my opinion.

Hell, to be honest, just remembering the game, apart from some implied sex I can't think of a single reason why it wasn't T-rated (Oh, it WAS T-rated. Well there you go.). Maybe there was SOME hints at gruesome deaths but certainly nothing explicit that sticks out in my mind.

[quote name='RollingSkull']It's more suspense than horror. It's got horror themes, a cthuloid evil entity and shadowy monsters pursuing you in the woods... but all the shadowy monsters are just shadow possessed guys who throw axes at you with staggering accuracy. You can't really be any more frightened of them than the average video game enemy.

Most of the gameplay is you stumbling through the woods and battling/running from the forces of darkness. The combat is definitely in focus here. It's weighty, powerful, in a magic sense.... it's just a fun game in my opinion.

Hell, to be honest, just remembering the game, apart from some implied sex I can't think of a single reason why it wasn't T-rated. Maybe there was SOME hints at gruesome deaths but certainly nothing explicit that sticks out in my mind.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks for the review! This gives me a better idea what it is about. I have nothing against scary games (I play them also) just wasnt sure what type of game it was to begin with. Sounds like a fun week play for me. I may get the CE edition tonight based on your review.

Thanks again!

I rather liked it and I hope you do too.

Your aiming cursor and first weapon is a flashlight, which you focus to burn the darkness off of foes to shoot them with your guns. You will be doing a lot of last minute dodges, flashlight stuns to create room, that sort of thing.

The game makes flares and flare guns feel like NUCLEAR BOMBS. Even the BFG 9000 did not feel quite as powerful as a flare gun shot in AW.

It's fun, satisfying, entertaining. My only problem is that the ending is pretty awful.

Well, I just bought the CE edition and didn't get a key! Not in the e-mail and not in my account (it shows up in `Your Games', but there's no `View keys' link and it's not in the `Keys' tab).

Not that I've got time to play it tonight, but I'd at least like to get it started downloading.

I am soooo out of the loop. When I saw that their was a deal on Alan Wake for PC, I figured it was a typo (meant for Xbox 360) since I had read about it's development for PC being cancelled long ago. This is great news though.

hmm on the fence about this..... should I or shouldn't I. Never got a chance to play the xbox version before I got my 5th red ring of death and I just built a new PC.

[quote name='kiwimonster']hmm on the fence about this..... should I or shouldn't I. Never got a chance to play the xbox version before I got my 5th red ring of death and I just built a new PC.[/QUOTE]
The game itself is fun, a nice atmospheric game with some semi-interesting combat. The first DLC sucks pretty bad unless you REALLY like the combat and the second one is decent enough. Don't expect to be blown away by the combat, it can get a bit clunky at times but overall for $20 I would say it is a buy.

[quote name='rybrad']The game itself is fun, a nice atmospheric game with some semi-interesting combat. The first DLC sucks pretty bad unless you REALLY like the combat and the second one is decent enough. Don't expect to be blown away by the combat, it can get a bit clunky at times but overall for $20 I would say it is a buy.[/QUOTE]

OK you convinced me :bouncy: never had a chance to play Alan Wake on the xbox and from the videos it looks like a down right gorgeous port for the PC. I'll just plug in my old xbox 360 controller and be good to go.

[quote name='JamesGMG']Hey guys, apologies for the situation so far with this - I'm keeping people updated with the latest information I have on our Facebook page here.

I hope this will help!

-James[/QUOTE]

Hey James will you guys be restocking Alan Wake keys anytime soon? I was able to snag a copy but was wanting to pick up 2 others for my friends.

so why's the store page gone, because you ran out of keys ? will you bring it back? all i can read on that facebook page is that people who already ordered will get their keys.

I am assuming they took alan wake down off the site when they started getting complaints about people not receiving there keys. I do wonder if it is that or they just ran out of keys. I was wanting to pick up more copies but guess that is not going to happen I'll wait for the steam sale then. Oh well. Would be nice if we could get a confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no word on this, so I'm guessing it's not coming back, at least not in time for the sale.

It'd have been really nice if it was made clear that this was to be a limited run promotion. I don't usually think of DD services as having "stock" they run through or can sell out of, so I thought it would've been safe to sleep on it, especially given there was no indication on the sale page of this fact.

EDIT: I went back over the page, and yep, it does say "while stocks last." My fault I missed that, but judging by other people asking, it wasn't just me that was unclear. Definitely not a fan of the idea of "limited stock" in the DD space, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated OP since Alan Wake has vanished and Darkness II was added. Pretty lame to just take a product of your website completely with no communication to that effect. They did post in a thread on their forums about it but making potential paying customers search your forums to answer inventory questions is terrible. Not too surprised though since communication has always been a massive failing of GMG.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Still no word on this, so I'm guessing it's not coming back, at least not in time for the sale.

It'd have been really nice if it was made clear that this was to be a limited run promotion. I don't usually think of DD services as having "stock" they run through or can sell out of, so I thought it would've been safe to sleep on it, especially given there was no indication on the sale page of this fact.

EDIT: I went back over the page, and yep, it does say "while stocks last." My fault I missed that, but judging by other people asking, it wasn't just me that was unclear. Definitely not a fan of the idea of "limited stock" in the DD space, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm alright with limited stock. It's not always easy to predict demand. Where it bothers me is when its a certain price for so many units and then they say they ran out of keys but they are really just jacking up the price. Amazon does that all the time on lightning deals.

[quote name='pROvIs']I'm alright with limited stock. It's not always easy to predict demand. Where it bothers me is when its a certain price for so many units and then they say they ran out of keys but they are really just jacking up the price. Amazon does that all the time on lightning deals.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't that be what's happening here, though? There's no way they'll not carry the game going forward, it wouldn't make sense to have worked out a distribution deal for a title for only one day's worth of sales. I'm sure we'll see it back soon. In essence, it acts the same: setting aside a small number of keys for a low price, then when that lot depletes, reintroducing it at its normal price.

I just don't like this because it bases itself on creating artificial shortages. One of the largest boons of digital distribution is that you have, in essence, "unlimited" stock. Artificially limiting it just seems myopic. It misses the point of why DD is convenient: you don't have to go looking, or wait, for stock.

Should just make it a 12 or 24 hour sale. It accomplishes the same objective of limiting the number of keys sold.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Should just make it a 12 or 24 hour sale. It accomplishes the same objective of limiting the number of keys sold.[/QUOTE]

Limiting the quantity is much better than limiting the time. It doesn't accomplish the same thing, as limiting the time has the potential of selling a lot more copies at the price, with quantity it won't happen. Might be worse for gamers, but that's not what they're worried about.

I too wish I had known they only had limited quantities. If I had known I would've jumped on it immediately. Instead I figured I could wait a day or two. /sigh

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Should just make it a 12 or 24 hour sale. It accomplishes the same objective of limiting the number of keys sold.[/QUOTE]

While not frustrating customers nearly as much.

They still have a lot to learn from the big players. They could start by giving clear and helpful replies to questions. Otherwise I don't see why there's a need for a "special representative" of any kind if he's only here to announce the obvious sale. A good starting point would be to read through Amazons T-Money's posts to see how it's done.

[quote name='pROvIs']I'm alright with limited stock. It's not always easy to predict demand. Where it bothers me is when its a certain price for so many units and then they say they ran out of keys but they are really just jacking up the price. Amazon does that all the time on lightning deals.[/QUOTE]

With the Amazon lightning deals though they make it very clear up front that it's time limited and (potentially) quantity limited. You know exactly when you have until to buy the game and how many they have left at that price with the meter that tells you what percentage they have sold.

With GMG it's anyone's guess. Will it sell out in a week? A day? An hour? A minute? Who knows!

Also, in my experience the lightning deals are generally not that amazing and I don't recall ever seeing such a huge difference as, say, Skyrim for 50% off vs Skyrim for 10% off.

Guess I should add that Deus Ex: Human Revolution and LA Noire with both be deals this week as well. Both games should be ~$11 (75% off) assuming they don't raise the regular price.

bread's done
Back