GRIN's final project was...Final Fantasy?

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5341365/grin-were-working-on-a-final-fantasy-game/gallery/

There were the faintest of rumblings about this a couple of months ago, but now that GRIN are officially out of business, it can officially come to light that they'd been working on...a Final Fantasy game.

Professional resume snoop superannuation has uncovered some concept art and CV listings for a game code-named "Fortress", which is the Final Fantasy XII action game spinoff GRIN Stockholm had been working on from the time principal development on Bionic Commando wound up to the time they were shut down.

Say what you will about GRIN's track record of late, this would have been a blast to get a better look at.

This means that Final Fantasy saved Squeenix, and was present (though probably not responsible) at the demise of GRIN.

[quote name='Puffa469']That game probably would have sucked.

Has there ever been a good FF game outside of the core RPG's?[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy Tactics, Crisis Core, some of the Crystal Chronicles games are good...

Well before everyone goes flying off the handle at how they dropped the ball on this decision, Im willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this just because they easily coulda cashed in on a crappy game with the FF name on it just to help make up for the costs of watching XIII take 20 years to make. And seeing as how they canceled the game either ment that it was a garbage game that they didnt want associated with FF, or so early in development that they are just gonna take it in house and make it better. Either way no one knows for sure, but know this post is gonna be full of speculation and the throwing of fecal matter. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in before all that happened.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']Final Fantasy Tactics, Crisis Core, some of the Crystal Chronicles games are good...[/QUOTE]

Damn I forgot about Tactics, I love those games.

Never played any of the others you mention. I just remember reading reviews of FF spinoff games on PSP and DS and none of them seemed any good. So when I read this news I wasn't thinking 'OMG sad, the world lost a Final Fantasy game!'

[quote name='Puffa469']I forgot about Tactics[/QUOTE]

You son of a bitch.

In all seriousness the Crystal Chronicles game on Gamecube was pretty good if you could manage to get four people together to actually play it. The Chocobo dungeon games were also quite good as well if a bit on the easy side. I also enjoyed My Life as a King although I haven't played My Life as a Darklord yet.

I personally don't see anything in that art that suggests a connection to Ivalice or Final Fantasy XII specifically... Not sure where Kotaku is getting that.

bread's done
Back