Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time coming to the PSP

daveyd

CAG Veteran
Growlanser Generations for the PS2 was one of the best SRPGs I have ever played. Atlus USA recently announced Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time for the PSP.

What I love most about this series is that Growlanser blends turn-based and real-time strategy; you issue commands to each member of your party, but their actions play out in real-time; Things not going how you planned? Interrupt your characters at ANY time and create a new strategy. The other thing I love about the battles is that killing all of the enemies is seldom your only objective. For example, during some battles there are civilians that will be killed unless your party can rescue them in time. I think anyone who loves classic SRPGs like the Shining Force series will love this game.

This is the 4th game in the series, but it is standalone so if your new to series you won't be missing back story. It is considered the best Growlanser by many fans, with 40+ hours of gameplay and multiple endings.

Let's hope there is some strategy involved this time. The ps2 versions are so easy or I'm just too used strategy or rpg games in general.

[quote name='fatbeer']Let's hope there is some strategy involved this time. The ps2 versions are so easy or I'm just too used strategy or rpg games in general.[/QUOTE]

Did you get "Mission Complete" in every event battle? I agree that winning the battles in previous Growlansers is rather easy for experienced RPG players. However, Growlanser event battles always have several possible outcomes you can also get: Mission Failed, Mission Clear, and Mission Complete. All 3 of which let you continue the game, but "Mission Complete" is the best and may even result in opening up new story branches. Getting "Mission Complete" is often quite challenging as it requires you to do things such as protect NPCs from harm.

But anyway, I have read that this game is significantly more challenging than previous Growlanser titles and the battle system is like a more complex version of Growlanser III's system.

[quote name='fatbeer']Let's hope there is some strategy involved this time. The ps2 versions are so easy or I'm just too used strategy or rpg games in general.[/QUOTE]

Definitely Grow 4 is really challenging (I played all of them) since the dificulty of this game lies in what abilities you learn rather than your level. Enemies can use cooperation magic witouth cooperation (One enemy can cast Quake 2 times in 5 seconds) and Magic here is the strongest in all growlanser series two level 3 cooperation magic can wipeouth your party. Atw and magic charging is slower here. And the bosses has the more hp than in any game thus far.

[quote name='daveyd']Did you get "Mission Complete" in every event battle? I agree that winning the battles in previous Growlansers is rather easy for experienced RPG players. However, Growlanser event battles always have several possible outcomes you can also get: Mission Failed, Mission Clear, and Mission Complete. All 3 of which let you continue the game, but "Mission Complete" is the best and may even result in opening up new story branches. Getting "Mission Complete" is often quite challenging as it requires you to do things such as protect NPCs from harm.

But anyway, I have read that this game is significantly more challenging than previous Growlanser titles and the battle system is like a more complex version of Growlanser III's system.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the game since the release day but I'm pretty sure I got all most or all the objectives. I do remember getting all the endings for all 3 Growlanser games that came to the US.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']Definitely Grow 4 is really challenging (I played all of them) since the dificulty of this game lies in what abilities you learn rather than your level. Enemies can use cooperation magic witouth cooperation (One enemy can cast Quake 2 times in 5 seconds) and Magic here is the strongest in all growlanser series two level 3 cooperation magic can wipeouth your party. Atw and magic charging is slower here. And the bosses has the more hp than in any game thus far.[/QUOTE]

I hope it's more challenging. Most of these Strategy RPG use more RPG elements than actually strategy. If you know most of RPG lingo like DPS, action points, IAS, cool down, equipment junction, buf & debuff, hurt & heal or experience formula you can beat most RPG with basic RPG fundamentals. Hurt & heal and buff & debuff strategy will probably beat 90% of most RPG.

[quote name='fatbeer']I haven't played the game since the release day but I'm pretty sure I got all most or all the objectives. I do remember getting all the endings for all 3 Growlanser games that came to the US.

I hope it's more challenging. Most of these Strategy RPG use more RPG elements than actually strategy. If you know most of RPG lingo like DPS, action points, IAS, cool down, equipment junction, buf & debuff, hurt & heal or experience formula you can beat most RPG with basic RPG fundamentals. Hurt & heal and buff & debuff strategy will probably beat 90% of most RPG.[/QUOTE]

You will be surprised when you get to the most difficult missions. Most of Grow 4 missions are about protecting people or sometimes you are completely overpowered (Think of Grow 2 enemies number agaisnt four of your characters). Bosses here have an insane amount of hp and attacks that can be really punishing.

[quote name='fatbeer']
I hope it's more challenging. Most of these Strategy RPG use more RPG elements than actually strategy. If you know most of RPG lingo like DPS, action points, IAS, cool down, equipment junction, buf & debuff, hurt & heal or experience formula you can beat most RPG with basic RPG fundamentals. Hurt & heal and buff & debuff strategy will probably beat 90% of most RPG.[/QUOTE]

Haha, it sounds like you're very familiar with RPGs so you just may be getting "too good" for your own good.

I guess difficulty is a matter of personal preference. I certainly like RPGs to be somewhat challenging during major battles and bosses, but I dislike it when they are so frustratingly hard that they require either dumb luck or excessive grinding. Since a good RPG has an interesting story, I want to keep the story moving rather than having to reload constantly / grind. But I do like it when the battles requires some strategy planning.

Well, Kratoscar has played the JP version so he's in the best position to tell you what the difficulty will be like.

[quote name='daveyd']Haha, it sounds like you're very familiar with RPGs so you just may be getting "too good" for your own good.

I guess difficulty is a matter of personal preference. I certainly like RPGs to be somewhat challenging during major battles and bosses, but I dislike it when they are so frustratingly hard that they require either dumb luck or excessive grinding. Since a good RPG has an interesting story, I want to keep the story moving rather than having to reload constantly / grind. But I do like it when the battles requires some strategy planning.

Well, Kratoscar has played the JP version so he's in the best position to tell you what the difficulty will be like.[/QUOTE]

Like final fantasy XII where you have to kill a 50000000 hp monster and your character does only 9000+ damage that was stupid i think.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']Like final fantasy XII where you have to kill a 50000000 hp monster and your character does only 9000+ damage that was stupid i think.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's ridiculous and tedious. I guess that's why I never finished FFXII.

I love how previous Growlanser games had very little filler. You don't have to fight a ton of random enemies to level up / gain enough gold to buy equipment so you can move you. GL 2 and 3 were two of the few rpgs I've completed that I felt, if anything, were too short. Usually by the end of an RPG, even a good one, I just want the damned thing to end.

[quote name='daveyd']Yes, that's ridiculous and tedious. I guess that's why I never finished FFXII.

I love how previous Growlanser games had very little filler. You don't have to fight a ton of random enemies to level up / gain enough gold to buy equipment so you can move you. GL 2 and 3 were two of the few rpgs I've completed that I felt, if anything, were too short. Usually by the end of an RPG, even a good one, I just want the damned thing to end.[/QUOTE]

well in Grow 4 mostly in the latest missions you have to grind a little (Mostly learn specifics abilities) because these have an insane amount of enemies (almost like the mission were max ask to join Wein) but nothing of the other World. The Arena is tedious too but it must be finished to acces the best gems.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']well in Grow 4 mostly in the latest missions you have to grind a little (Mostly learn specifics abilities) because these have an insane amount of enemies (almost like the mission were max ask to join Wein) but nothing of the other World. The Arena is tedious too but it must be finished to acces the best gems.[/QUOTE]

Oh well, I can deal with a little grinding. I'm playing Crimson Gem Saga right now which is a really great game (Atlus localized it) but requires an insane amount of grinding.

[quote name='daveyd']Oh well, I can deal with a little grinding. I'm playing Crimson Gem Saga right now which is a really great game (Atlus localized it) but requires an insane amount of grinding.[/QUOTE]

In my golden player years :D i wouldnt mind Grinding but now few are the games that make me like to grind to insane levels. Only Growlanser and Persona :cool: i dont mind since its rather easy. I remember leveling all my characters in any rpg to their Maximum levels but now i like to level 60 at best.:cold:

[quote name='kratoscar2008']In my golden player years :D i wouldnt mind Grinding but now few are the games that make me like to grind to insane levels. Only Growlanser and Persona :cool: i dont mind since its rather easy. I remember leveling all my characters in any rpg to their Maximum levels but now i like to level 60 at best.:cold:[/QUOTE]

Well, it helps when a game actually has a fun battle system. I just hate it when games force you to fight tons of random enemies (like they do in the older FF titles). I think it's just a cheap way for developers to increase the length so they can advertise 50+ hours of gameplay.

[quote name='daveyd']Well, it helps when a game actually has a fun battle system. I just hate it when games force you to fight tons of random enemies (like they do in the older FF titles). I think it's just a cheap way for developers to increase the length so they can advertise 50+ hours of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

What i like in Growlanser are the blessing bells those magic things make it so easy to gain more levels and witouth mindless leveling up. I was playing with a Crevaniel that had like a Lv 100 equivalent (Current level 30). By the Way good work there with the Wikipedia thing i too go there to know about games.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']What i like in Growlanser are the blessing bells those magic things make it so easy to gain more levels and witouth mindless leveling up. I was playing with a Crevaniel that had like a Lv 100 equivalent (Current level 30). By the Way good work there with the Wikipedia thing i too go there to know about games.[/QUOTE]

How do "blessing bells" work again? It's been awhile since I've played 2 & 3 and I appear to have lost my copy of Growlanser Generations :(

[quote name='daveyd']How do "blessing bells" work again? It's been awhile since I've played 2 & 3 and I appear to have lost my copy of Growlanser Generations :([/QUOTE]

Reduce your level by 10 points but the stats reamain untouched. For example i have used 9 of them on Crevaniel and now he has level 30 (30 + 90 = 110 lv) but overall he has the equivalent to Lv 110. I guess all my stats are 800 + so Crevaniel is a killing Machine. In this Growlanser is the most easy to get them from the Colisseum so in one match i can get around 5 of them and there are some monsters that give insane Exp that my lv 1 Crevaniel reach around 20 + levels in one match.:bouncy:

[quote name='kratoscar2008']Reduce your level by 10 points but the stats reamain untouched. For example i have used 9 of them on Crevaniel and now he has level 30 (30 + 90 = 110 lv) but overall he has the equivalent to Lv 110. I guess all my stats are 800 + so Crevaniel is a killing Machine. In this Growlanser is the most easy to get them from the Colisseum so in one match i can get around 5 of them and there are some monsters that give insane Exp that my lv 1 Crevaniel reach around 20 + levels in one match.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Is there any sort of level or statistics cap in Wayfarer of Time?

[quote name='daveyd']Is there any sort of level or statistics cap in Wayfarer of Time?[/QUOTE]

Impossible to know about levels since when around level 65 it became too much harder to gain a level so i will never know (Only in Grow 1 and 6 can be achieved). The stasts i guess is 999 (excluding some stats like ATW) but i only manage to do that in Grow 6 so i guess thats the limit.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']Impossible to know about levels since when around level 65 it became too much harder to gain a level so i will never know (Only in Grow 1 and 6 can be achieved). The stasts i guess is 999 (excluding some stats like ATW) but i only manage to do that in Grow 6 so i guess thats the limit.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you can grind to your heart's content in this game, which is good for people who find battles too difficult.

All this talk about Growlanser, makes me want to play Generations again. Unfortunately I appear to have lost my copy.

[quote name='daveyd']It sounds like you can grind to your heart's content in this game, which is good for people who find battles too difficult.

All this talk about Growlanser, makes me want to play Generations again. Unfortunately I appear to have lost my copy.[/QUOTE]

That depends on how far you are in the game. The enemies i talk about must be defeated in the secret dungeon to get acces to them. But as i said before learning certain abilities make the game more accesible.

Im sorry to hear that:cold:

[quote name='kratoscar2008']That depends on how far you are in the game. The enemies i talk about must be defeated in the secret dungeon to get acces to them. But as i said before learning certain abilities make the game more accesible.

Im sorry to hear that:cold:[/QUOTE]

How many hours into the game do you have to be before the secret dungeon is accessible?

Also, after you beat the game you can do a "new game plus" option, correct?

[quote name='daveyd']How many hours into the game do you have to be before the secret dungeon is accessible?

Also, after you beat the game you can do a "new game plus" option, correct?[/QUOTE]

a) Basically near the end of the game just before choosing characters endings that allow you to level good enough to make the last battle a breeze.

b) Of course course you can you get all items armor rings gems that you finished the game thats why my Crevaniel is a complete monster becuse he has level 90 when he should have lv 10.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']a) Basically near the end of the game just before choosing characters endings that allow you to level good enough to make the last battle a breeze.

b) Of course course you can you get all items armor rings gems that you finished the game thats why my Crevaniel is a complete monster becuse he has level 90 when he should have lv 10.[/QUOTE]

So there's two main paths you can take in the game, right? Does that mean it should be possible to get all of the endings in two play-throughs, or would it take more?

Just curious as I'm sure I'll end up playing through this game a few times :)

[quote name='daveyd']So there's two main paths you can take in the game, right? Does that mean it should be possible to get all of the endings in two play-throughs, or would it take more?

Just curious as I'm sure I'll end up playing through this game a few times :)[/QUOTE]

No only one. You can get all characters ending in one playtrought except for the familiars. As i said before you must repeat the last 1/4 of the game to get 3 characters ending.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Looks like this will be the first digital game I get for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

For playing in the vita too right? Because if you have a psp a phisycal release is a better option unless you consider getting a vita soon.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']For playing in the vita too right? Because if you have a psp a phisycal release is a better option unless you consider getting a vita soon.[/QUOTE]

Well, the one other advantage of digital downloads is they usually have faster load times than the physical UMDs. However, even the UMD version of Wayfarer of Time is supposed to have significantly faster loading times than the (Japanese) original PS2 game.

I believe if you buy a digital PSP game on PSN you can download it again to your Vita. I am pre-ordering a physical release because I have a PSP 1000 and also I like having a manual. But if I do get a Vita eventually I will probably buy a digital release too, as I expect this is a game I will want to replay several times.

[quote name='daveyd']Well, the one other advantage of digital downloads is they usually have faster load times than the physical UMDs. However, even the UMD version of Wayfarer of Time is supposed to have significantly faster loading times than the (Japanese) original PS2 game.

I believe if you buy a digital PSP game on PSN you can download it again to your Vita. I am pre-ordering a physical release because I have a PSP 1000 and also I like having a manual. But if I do get a Vita eventually I will probably buy a digital release too, as I expect this is a game I will want to replay several times.[/QUOTE]

i want the phisycal one because i love the art of Urushihara. Maybe is faster because the psp one has a more low resolution.

[quote name='kratoscar2008']i want the phisycal one because i love the art of Urushihara. Maybe is faster because the psp one has a more low resolution.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, knowing Atlus, the game will come with a nice full color manual :)

bread's done
Back