GS: 80GB 4 USB ps3 console Price Drop: 239.99. (backwards compatible)

wreckemtexastech

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
online and in stores, however down here in the heart of texas, there isnt one in stock within 100 miles. If you find it, pretty good deal, its software BC, but probably 99% of games for ps2 work w/ it.

I would be leary to order online and see what condition everything is in.. but if you can check your local stores, this could be epic win as most of them are the MGS4 system.

just thought id share that since I cant take advantage of it and dont trust ordering it online, that being said, if anyone has ordered a ps3 on their site, let us CAGs know how the condition was, probably a crap shoot.

I wouldn't mind getting the MGS4 system cause I will need a another PS3 about summer time. I own a 60GB backwards compatitable already but my wife wants another one for upstairs.

If anyone is interested I will be selling mine on Ebay within the next two days. Brand new and sealed and comes with some free accessories.

Contact me if interested

Peace

good and bad... dont forget many ps3's start to YLOD around 3 years (approx 1500-2000 hours of play time) and this system has been out approximately that long... I know anything can last 1 week or 10 years but with non leaded solder being the new industry standard (melts like 15 degrees cooler) stuff like YLOD wil only become more common and with no easy ways to get stuff off the hd of a ylod ps3 i would steer away from used ps3's... but to each there own...

I bought a 40 gb from gamestop almost a year ago and it was in very good condition, haven't had any issues with it. Ordered it online.

I actually paid about the same price as this one is going for now. This is a better deal.

Man, I bought one of the MGS4 bundles whenever they were out (2007 or 2008) for $500! Mine's still going strong, and I like having the back compatibility, but just fyi, it will not play any ps2 Ratchet and Clank games, which are some of the only games I would like to go back and play. So yeah, hopefully they'll re-release a collection. But anyway, with all of the amazing games out for the current-gen platforms, I'm not losing any sleep over not playing ps2 games...

[quote name='floormat']non leaded solder being the new industry standard (melts like 15 degrees cooler)[/QUOTE]

I'm going to call bullshit on it melting at lower temperatures. It does pose enough problems, though. I've really got to think about how I can prolong the life of my 60GB PS3. I don't think I'm up to resoldering it myself. I certainly don't have the equipment. Hopefully better thermal paste will be enough. Maybe a bigger fan and some case mods, too.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I wouldn't do it. Too risky.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't do what? Thermal paste? Cutting a hole in the case to put a fan that sits on top of the heatsink so the heat can be extracted up and away?

Very tempting. I still have $85 in GS credit, and they actually have one of these in stock at a GS close to my apartment... I barely have the time to play my 360 though, so buying a PS3 doesn't seem like a good idea right now.

[quote name='floormat']good and bad... dont forget many ps3's start to YLOD around 3 years (approx 1500-2000 hours of play time) and this system has been out approximately that long... I know anything can last 1 week or 10 years but with non leaded solder being the new industry standard (melts like 15 degrees cooler) stuff like YLOD wil only become more common and with no easy ways to get stuff off the hd of a ylod ps3 i would steer away from used ps3's... but to each there own...[/QUOTE]

Isn't ROHS is great for the environment instead of 1 unit thrown away after 10 years we get 4 in that time.....

fuck the environment, the lead came from the environment, i don't understand how we have to protect the planet from itself, we can't even help ourselves yet. Sorry I just had to say it.

Supposedly non-lead solder cannot take huge temperature changes over long period of time compared to leaded solder, and over time it would get weaker. It takes more energy to melt non-lead solder and thus more heat. When you looking at the heat involved with the launch ps3's we are talking about HOT 90nm pair of chips, then the ps2 chips (depending on if those are basically on all the time too, Idk) but that's the kinda situation the console is in every time you are turning it on.

For me, I have a 2nd hand launch 20gb Ps3, and I opened her up and redid the thermal paste with some artic silver 5 and shes blown alot more heat out then before and I never hear the fans go on anymore, so I figure it was well worth it. Plus, at the time of first opening it up, the paste that was originally there was DRY and doing nothing as far as i'm concerned. I've read that every 5 years or so the paste isn't doing its job anymore for hot running chips like the 90nm's Ps3 has, so I would recommend you either do it yourself or find a outlet that does it for you. Theres guides out there if your confident in having your ps3 COMPLETELY in pieces and put it back together in a non-static inducing environment.

Good info regarding the yellow ring. I was unaware of this. Mine is about that old, so maybe I should look into getting an extended warranty on it. It's nice to know that both MS and Sony put a lot of attention in making a quality product.

I see random joes on craig's list all the time offering to fix it for $30. Is taking it to them as bad of an idea as it sounds?

[quote name='VA']Good info regarding the yellow ring. I was unaware of this. Mine is about that old, so maybe I should look into getting an extended warranty on it. It's nice to know that both MS and Sony put a lot of attention in making a quality product.

I see random joes on craig's list all the time offering to fix it for $30. Is taking it to them as bad of an idea as it sounds?[/QUOTE]

Well I've had my 60GB fat for 4 years now, and she still runs fine.

As another member has previously mentioned, as long as you give your PS3 plenty of ventilation and not lay it on the carpet, it should be fine.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Wouldn't do what? Thermal paste? Cutting a hole in the case to put a fan that sits on top of the heatsink so the heat can be extracted up and away?[/QUOTE]

I didn't post that directly at you but I suppose yeah, your methods are a bit risky, too. Only in the sense that you buy this BC ps3 and then open it up to prevent ylod or expecting a ylod and then doing this. Perhaps one can bypass this by getting a new console.

Buying a used PS3 that has been sitting for probably years from a unidentified person is very risky to me. Especially at a price of 240 which is close to a brand new slim. Just pay the 60 more and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a new console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Buzz, Chuplayer and all of the others posting about mods are referencing the BC PS3's. As you know, there are only two types of PS3's that can do BC. If Chuplayer buys a slim like you suggest, he will miss out on BC. I think there are many who wil take some risks to have a PS3 that will truly do everything.

[quote name='cdeener']I wouldn't mind getting the MGS4 system cause I will need a another PS3 about summer time. I own a 60GB backwards compatitable already but my wife wants another one for upstairs.[/QUOTE]

Your wife is AWESOME!!!! :)

My friend has the same PS3 it got the YLOD last month and I think to send it in to fix is like $100 glad MS has the 3 year extra warranty

After replacing the thermal paste, my launch model is working flawlessly. Tried recently to trade it for a slim, as I was to be traveling a lot. Held onto it & we've flown from KY to Boston to San Diego & back. Made me realize how much I trust the durability and portability of the PS3.

I have a launch 60 gig and that thing has survived some MAJOR hits.

The biggest one was when I had it on a fireplace mantle below our TV while charging my controller. My dog ran by and yanked the charging cord, sending the PS3 crashing down onto a hardwood floor. Five foot drop onto a hard surface. The power button takes more force to activate (as it landed on that corner), but other wise, it works like a champ. And that was over 2 years ago. I play it almost daily.

And there have been others. With all the shit I have put mine through and how mangeled it looks, I have concluded that this PS3 refuses to die.

Stunning durability...

bread's done
Back