GS/EB Games Price Drop - Used GameCube ($29.99) and Used Xbox ($59.99)

Wow. $30 for a GameCube kinda makes me wanna buy one again, but I figure I'll buy a Wii one of these days so why bother.

to gs/eb employees, which one of these sells more? in the last month ive seen like 3 people buy cubes but zero sexboxs. any thoughts?

[quote name='souNReAL']guess they found out people dont care if its a phat or slim, a $60 PS2 is too good of a deal for us.[/quote]
So true, I got an xbox in 2004, but the PS2 has so much better games

[quote name='nick1990']Is the Wii fully back compatible with the Gamecube games? If not, I'll buy just buy a cube.[/quote]

Yeah it plays all gamecube games.

But it doesn't use GC accessories that connected from the bottom, effectively making Phantasy Star not playable. Though I don't think many people will care.... Also, it gets rid of LAN play for the very few games that have like like I think Mario Kart:DD. Again, many won't care.

[quote name='Chronis']But it doesn't use GC accessories that connected from the bottom, effectively making Phantasy Star not playable. Though I don't think many people will care.... Also, it gets rid of LAN play for the very few games that have like like I think Mario Kart:DD. Again, many won't care.[/quote] You CAN play Phantasy Star Online on Offline Mode. o_O

But yes, no modem connections.

Can't use a Game Boy Player on the Wii, either. Wii can't use the GameCube FreeLoader to play import games, either.

Buy an xbox and get it modded, although you'll prolly spend more on the harddrive than you will the system. Not that mine is modded.......but if it was I could prolly fit about 30 xbox games on there if I had a 120gb hd. As well as emulators for NES, SNES, and Atari, if you wanted stuff like that, which a law abiding citizen like me wants no part in.

[quote name='Leek']So true, I got an xbox in 2004, but the PS2 has so much better games[/QUOTE]

cool. i got the xbox in 2001(2 weeks after launch) system held up for years before it was stolen earlier this year. at the time i prefered it to ps2. Hard drive, custom music soundtracks, a revolution for gaming.

7 years from its launch and i finally made the transititon to ps2 (thats what happens when you put out crappy hardware and even worse customer support, hint hint M$) even tho i dont have any games yet, very optimistic about the system. only wish it would play all my DVD-Rs like Xbox did and not just some....

[quote name='NRPinguino04']Buy an xbox and get it modded, although you'll prolly spend more on the harddrive than you will the system. Not that mine is modded.......but if it was I could prolly fit about 30 xbox games on there if I had a 120gb hd. As well as emulators for NES, SNES, and Atari, if you wanted stuff like that, which a law abiding citizen like me wants no part in.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I did, I saved all of the games I own on the 250 gig hard drive i put into it and the thing is a beast (just to clarify i do own all of the xbox games I have saved onto the hd). Able to take a beating too mine fell 4-5 feet when a friends dog pulled it off the top of a cabinet. Also a little birdy told me that you can play nes, snes, some n64, all ps1, sega, and tons of other emus on it...not that i condone things of that nature i just love never having to worry about scratching my game disks they are all nicely in their cases looking fantastic. :lol:

Is modding gear still produced/sold for the xbox? I never modded mine and have been thinking about it since i don't use it to play games much anymore, could use a media center machine.

[quote name='JolietJake']Is modding gear still produced/sold for the xbox? I never modded mine and have been thinking about it since i don't use it to play games much anymore, could use a media center machine.[/quote]

They do but it's expensive. I would just softmod it and put a larger hard drive in it. I have a 500GB drive in mine to play my music, games, and converted versions of my dvd's I own.

[quote name='jp0213']They do but it's expensive. I would just softmod it and put a larger hard drive in it. I have a 500GB drive in mine to play my music, games, and converted versions of my dvd's I own.[/quote]

Yeah...modded Xbox's can still be unbelievably useful. If I didn't already use my laptop to sort of centralize my entertainment/theater system, an XBox would be an interesting purchase.

GameCubes, on the other hand...heh. Seems like everyone who wants a nintendo product already has a Wii, so why bother? Little funny, though, that you can get the console for the same price as a Wavebird.

AHh, How I love my modded XBOX..I thought the XBOX would only recgonize a HDD no bigger then 2ooGB? I soft modded mine and threw in a larger HDD..Its incredible how much stuff is in there for only a 120.

[quote name='JJSP']The Cube died too early. : ([/quote]

So did the Xbox. Why they still make PS2 games to this day but none for the GCN and Xbox just boggles my mind.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']AHh, How I love my modded XBOX..I thought the XBOX would only recgonize a HDD no bigger then 2ooGB? I soft modded mine and threw in a larger HDD..Its incredible how much stuff is in there for only a 120.[/quote]

There was an initial issue with softmodded xboxs and chipped to where they wouldn't recognize drives over 140GB, but the chips have a patch, and the new way of softmodding allows either two split partitions of an F drive at 140 and the rest on G or one large F drive. You have to format the partition in 32K clusters if you are going to have a partition larger that 200GB because you will start getting data read errors at around 70% capacity. It takes 10 minutes to softmod and about 10-15 minutes to build a larger drive for the softmodded box. So simple anymore.

Did someone say the ps2 is now 60 for both slim and regular? If so I may have to grab another ps2. I always regreted selling my ps2 instead of xbox.

[quote name='spideymike']So did the Xbox. Why they still make PS2 games to this day but none for the GCN and Xbox just boggles my mind.[/quote]

Because the PS2 market is still profitable and the Xbox/GCN market isn't. I'm not flaming or anything, it's just the unfortunate truth.

The other reason, I believe, is because Microsoft/Nintendo didn't want to support them anymore, and likely encouraged third party developers to switch to the 360/Wii respectively. The last game published by Nintendo for the GC was Twilight Princess. The last first party game for Xbox was Kingdom of Fire (way back in 2005). While you look at SCEA who is releasing a new Twisted Metal game for PS2 in 2008 (granted, it's being developed by a different company, but SCEA owns the franchise)

I called the store near to my place, but they haven't changed their prices. :bomb: They told me to wait until Monday.

And what games should I buy with my XBOX other than the following.

I am getting Fable, KOTOR I & II, Shenmue 2, Jade Empire, Dreamfall, Riddick, Halo 2, Otogi 1 & 2, Morrowind GOTHY ed., and Mercenaries.

Am I missing something else?

[quote name='kart007k']I called the store near to my place, but they haven't changed their prices. :bomb: They told me to wait until Monday.

And what games should I buy with my XBOX other than the following.

I am getting Fable, KOTOR I & II, Shenmue 2, Jade Empire, Dreamfall, Riddick, Halo 2, Otogi 1 & 2, Morrowind GOTHY ed., and Mercenaries.

Am I missing something else?[/QUOTE]
Add Psychonauts and Indigo Prophecy to that as well. The Suffering was pretty cool too.

[quote name='JJSP']Add Psychonauts and Indigo Prophecy to that as well. The Suffering was pretty cool too.[/quote]

I suggest Urban Chaos: Riot Response.

[quote name='karmapolice']Did someone say the ps2 is now 60 for both slim and regular? If so I may have to grab another ps2. I always regreted selling my ps2 instead of xbox.[/QUOTE]

oh god no. the phat/regular ps2 WAS $60 during Gamestop 3 day black friday sale that was extended til Dec 2...........i believe the the phat ps2 is back to $80 and a used slim ps2 is $90.....

[quote name='souNReAL']oh god no. the phat/regular ps2 WAS $60 during Gamestop 3 day black friday sale that was extended til Dec 2...........i believe the the phat ps2 is back to $80 and a used slim ps2 is $90.....[/quote]
Yes. The fat model is $80, while the slim is $90.

pfft gamecrazy has the fattie ps2 for 49.99 plus buy 2 get one free on used games
79.99 for the slim
xbox is 49.99

oh and 12 free rentals at hollywood video

[quote name='spug21']pfft gamecrazy has the fattie ps2 for 49.99 plus buy 2 get one free on used games
79.99 for the slim
xbox is 49.99

oh and 12 free rentals at hollywood video[/quote]
Good for them.

Too bad that a grand majority of us don't have access to a Game Crazy and have had several Hollywood Videos close.

Can anyone give me a good list of exclusive (or games that are better on the GCN) that I should get if I buy one? I know of Zelda, Mario, REmake series, Metal Gear Twin Snakes, and Eternal Darkness, but I'm not sure of what else. Thanks.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']Can anyone give me a good list of exclusive (or games that are better on the GCN) that I should get if I buy one? I know of Zelda, Mario, REmake series, Metal Gear Twin Snakes, and Eternal Darkness, but I'm not sure of what else. Thanks.[/quote]

Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, i found donkey konga fun (specially since extra bongos are 3 bucks at gamestop), Paper mario, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime...the Gamecube library was amazing.

Great price on a used Gamecube, really. And if you can get ahold of the Gameboy Player somewhere preowned, GameStops have it for $19.99. Not bad if you like playing Advance games on the big screen. I sure didn't, and so got rid of it all. But I'm for portable gaming, usually.

I'd like to see a great deal on picking up a used PS2, but I should really resist.

[quote name='Tideas']anybody know if Gamestop still has their buy 2 used game, get 1 used game for free?[/QUOTE]

only with the gamestop coupon book now.

bread's done
Back