GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
THIS THREAD LOCKED, NEW ONE HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6952150

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

50% Bonus On All Games Traded (3/17/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games and receive an extra 50% trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III (4/4/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III when trade 2 select Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games.

Click Here for details.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III only. Final Fantasy XIII releases 3/11/10, God of War III releases 3/16/10. Release date subject to change. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Price shown is net after trades. God of War III's and Final Fantasy XIII's regular retail price is $59.99. Net retail will differ for special editions. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks.Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 02/22/10 - 04/04/10..[/QUOTE]

Power Trades 25% (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games towards the pre-order or purchase of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell: Conviction: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and receive an extra 25% Trade-in Credit!

Expires: 3/14/2010. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon Heart Gold or Pokemon Soul Silver. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DSi XL Promo (Unsure End Date)
[quote name='vze21gwa']Gamestop is having a trade up offer for the Nintendo DSi XL, where you can get one for $99.99 if you trade in your DSi or $129.99 if you trade in your ds lite. Just thought to let you know cause it's not posted.
[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arkansas, California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Ok, so if you walked into a GameStop, you would pay the regular "used" price for a game when you knew the code inside that gives you access to new DLC and the ability to download more DLC in the future was not in there? [/QUOTE]

If you wanted to buy it used, them are the breaks, especially for this game. With a game like this, you are only saving, at most, 10.50 off of the full retail. If the content included is worth that much to you, buy it new. That simple

[quote name='Foxtrot']
Well, GS knows that the same percentage of people that buy a game at "$xx.xx" used price won't buy it at the same price without the missing content. So they have to lower the price they sell it at; thus, lowering the TIV that people who may need the credit for new merchandise can get.

QED[/QUOTE]

My local store hasn't kept a used copy in the store for longer than 8 hours. With promotion, everyone is trading games and getting credit that's burning a hole in their pocket, so they are buying new releases with it.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']
I think the Cerberus Network is such a bad idea for that reason. [/QUOTE]

This is the worst logic I've ever heard.

The Cerberus Network is such an awesome idea (from the publisher's pov) that you'll see more and more publishers doing it.

edit: I love the QED like he has made a winning point! hahahah. Priceless.

The publisher wants Gamestop's used sales to go to 0. They don't give a flying fig what the TIV is of a game. They want everyone to buy new.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How so?

That sounds pretty silly. No game, no matter how good, is going to be kept by everyone. ME2 has gotten rave reviews (96 on Metacritic). And I'm sure BioWare, and just about any developer worth it's salt, goes into a game's development saying, "We're going to develop the game everyone wants to buy and keep forever." That's an obviously unrealistic goal, though. Not every game is everyone's cup of tea. Not everyone is going to buy it, and not everyone who buys it is going to keep it. Even if you love a game, you might eventually get bored with it or see a good opportunity to make money off of it.

I know I have absolutely no problem with a company trying to make it far more enticing to buy a new copy of their game. Used sales do nothing for them. The money doesn't go into their pocket, and they aren't reflected in how many copies of their game gets sold.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... I hope that when I go to trade in my truck Toyota doesn't get all stingy and let me know that my truck will be worth less because they wanted me to keep it in the first place. Idk how they would do such a thing, or why, but maybe you could justify that for me? Oh, and try not to think about what would happen to worldwide orgs like eBay if all or most manufacturers pulled this selfish stunt.

Lastly, there are some people that just can't afford to buy shit new, please tell me why that means they shouldn't get to enjoy just as many games as you and I do.

+ they will allow people that got the game used to get the cerberus network later, but they will be charged through live for it.

Who really gives a shit about a few guns? The game is damn easy to begin with. How much more of a crutch do you need?

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Hmm... I hope that when I go to trade in my truck Toyota doesn't get all stingy and let me know that my truck will be worth less because they wanted me to keep it in the first place. Idk how they would do such a thing, or why, but maybe you could justify that for me? Oh, and try not to think about what would happen to worldwide orgs like eBay if all or most manufacturers pulled this selfish stunt.

Lastly, there are some people that just can't afford to buy shit new, please tell me why that means they shouldn't get to enjoy just as many games as you and I do.[/QUOTE]

lol, you must have a warped sense of reality. As soon as you drive a car/truck off the lot, you lost at least 30% of your investment. When you trade it back in, they MAY give you the bluebook value for the vehicle (which is being generous) but they know you are probably paying close to MSRP for another vehicle.

Updated lists and database.

"Go ahead and sleep on the power couch. Your training begins tomorrow, at the crack of noon."

No shit, everyone knows they want you to buy new. But there is a difference in earning revenue and forcing/coercing others to play into your schemes to raise your profits. My ultimate point is that in general, the worse a game the publisher makes, the more this new perspective on reducing TIV's becomes. The more you want to sell something that you don't want (because it sucks) the more you are reminded that the publisher is restricting the amount you can sell YOUR own property in an attempt to increase their margins.

Oh, and QED.....Just for you.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Lastly, there are some people that just can't afford to buy shit new, please tell me why that means they shouldn't get to enjoy just as many games as you and I do.[/QUOTE]

Because video games are a luxury. If you can't afford a game, you aren't entitled to it.

Comparing cars to video games is sort of like apples to oranges. Your trying to compare a $60 expenditure to a $20,000 plus expenditure. Not really in the same league. Cars dont run out of their normal useful like in 30 days or less like most video games do. Face it, we play most of our games once, maybe twice and rarely ever again. A car is a tool we have to use everyday for the rest of our lives. Cars are almost a necessity now.

I know I have contributed to some of the nonsense by pointing out others stupidity but can we get some more tiv's and less bitching?

[quote name='dino88']Because video games are a luxury. If you can't afford a game, you aren't entitled to it.[/QUOTE]
I actually see your point here. If books and college weren't categorized the same way, I wouldn't have to sit here and explain domestic economics to those that seem to be having difficulty understanding why they shouldn't be ok with a company increasing their profits at their expense.

[quote name='Dendaman']Or, they could put it at the normal $30-$35 range and have no 50% deal, resulting in less credit for trading in anything else. I'm sure it's that low due to the fact that they got raped with ME2.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the problem. The advertised the 50% deal, then the value of certain games diminished. ME2 is a perfect example. You can't really call it a +50% when you're getting as much for the game as you would if the +50% didn't exist. It seems like a pretty crappy and unethical business tactic if you ask me and is pretty much a bait and switch. "We'll offer you 50% on top of your trade in, but we'll also take down that trade in value so we'll just pay you what we would have anyways."

I'm not here to crap on GS at all. I've said before that this is actually a pretty decent deal. You can most likely make more money right now with GS than selling on eBay. In fact, I'll probably be trading in Bioshock 2 (I'm getting the SE) and ME2 on Wed. I just don't exactly agree with how they're treating the promotion.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']I actually see your point here. If books and college weren't categorized the same way, I wouldn't have to sit here and explain domestic economics to those that seem to be having difficulty understanding why they shouldn't be ok with a company increasing their profits at their expense.[/QUOTE]

son, i've forgotten more about economics than you'll ever learn.

That being said, even people with no economic book larnin' and common sense realize you're wrong.

Dang guys, sorry to bring it up again, but i am CRAVING for a B2G1 free soon. Once i trade in my 360 and games, along with my other credit, i should have about 440 in credit to spend on PS3 games. (Well my brother wants that new pokemon game so about 400 but thats still ALOT!) I already have a list prepared for B2G1 free lmao. Hopefully its on March 13th as that other dude said.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']Dang guys, sorry to bring it up again, but i am CRAVING for a B2G1 free soon. Once i trade in my 360 and games, along with my other credit, i should have about 440 in credit to spend on PS3 games. (Well my brother wants that new pokemon game so about 400 but thats still ALOT!) I already have a list prepared for B2G1 free lmao. Hopefully its on March 13th as that other dude said.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to burst your bubble but...

[quote name='tsl141']That's exactly the problem. The advertised the 50% deal, then the value of certain games diminished. ME2 is a perfect example. You can't really call it a +50% when you're getting as much for the game as you would if the +50% didn't exist. It seems like a pretty crappy and unethical business tactic if you ask me and is pretty much a bait and switch. "We'll offer you 50% on top of your trade in, but we'll also take down that trade in value so we'll just pay you what we would have anyways."

I'm not here to crap on GS at all. I've said before that this is actually a pretty decent deal. You can most likely make more money right now with GS than selling on eBay. In fact, I'll probably be trading in Bioshock 2 (I'm getting the SE) and ME2 on Wed. I just don't exactly agree with how they're treating the promotion.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they lower it? Let's think from their standpoint: if you're selling a game used for $55, does it make any sense to give people $56 to trade it in? If they didn't lower it, they wouldn't have run the promo at all, which means no extra bump for anything else you would want to trade in. And with so many people (presumably) trading in their copies of Bioshock 2 because of this promotion, the TIV is naturally going to drop because of how many copies are now sitting on the shelves.

It's not a bait and switch, it's supply and demand. If a game was flying off the shelves at the same rate that they were being traded in, the TIV would hold. But the fact that the TIV continues to drop means that isn't the case.

Traded in ME2 few days ago for $59 (when it was for $35). Picked up Heavy Rain and used a one time use 25% coupon off used game with purchase of HR. So I ended up picking up fallout 3 GOTY edition for $30.
I was considering trading in HR when I finished playing, but GS is only giving me $25 for it. ($37.50). It didn't seem worth it. Amazon has been really good to me. I ended up selling Heavy Rain after beating it for $55.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Lastly, there are some people that just can't afford to buy shit new, please tell me why that means they shouldn't get to enjoy just as many games as you and I do.[/QUOTE]

Um...you can still buy the game used. No one is stopping anyone from doing that. And actually, this would help people who can't afford to buy new games, because now used copies are actually cheaper, due to the loss of the DLC code. What do you lose by not having the DLC? A couple of missions, a character, and some weapons. It does not in any way, shape, or form ruin the game. They can enjoy it, too. But I get to enjoy it more, because I paid the price. It's no different than me buying a fully-loaded care, while you buy the base model. We both get to drive around. My car just has more features, because I was able to pay more.

And frankly, as another poster mentioned, if a person can not afford to buy a $60 game, they shouldn't be buying it at $30 or $40, either. They should worry about their bills and keeping a roof over their head and food in their stomach. Video games are a luxury item. No one is entitled to them.

[quote name='JAlbertL']Anyone know the TIV of a PSP 2001? I wouldn't mind upgrading to a PSP 3001 just 'cuz.[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously that lazy that you can't read the OP?

[quote name='dabamus']Are you seriously that lazy that you can't read the OP?[/QUOTE]

What the fuck are you talking about? I don't see it in the OP.

[quote name='JAlbertL']What the fuck are you talking about? I don't see it in the OP.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, should have said too lazy to read the OPs, plural.

It's in the TIV listings under PSP.

[quote name='JAlbertL']What the fuck are you talking about? I don't see it in the OP.[/QUOTE]

It's in the second or third post actually, but if you took the time to scroll down you'd see that there's a listing for PSP values(including systems).

There's also the CAG trade-in price database thing. It's new(and I obviously don't know the correct name for it offhand).

See where it says 'trade-in values' up towards the top of the page? Click on that, then use the drop down menu to select what trade place you want to check the value for and type up what you're looking for the value for.

Here's a link for the lazy:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/cagomatic.php?do=tradein

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']No one is entitled to them.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I'm a CAG and I'm entitled to every game I want at 90% off. And it better be complete. How dare you.

Good day, sir.

[quote name='killer9']Slim Model 2000 - $65 (2/28/10)

um its there
[/QUOTE]

Damn. I was actually trying to get him to do the work himself...

[quote name='confoosious']What are you talking about? I'm a CAG and I'm entitled to every game I want at 90% off. And it better be complete. How dare you.

Good day, sir.[/QUOTE]

thoughtprovoking as always
is there really a cag premier monthly membership that allows you to troll for pay?

[quote name='joemartinez1234']thoughtprovoking as always
is there really a cag premier monthly membership that allows you to troll for pay?[/QUOTE]

i dunno but stop stalking me. it's very creepy. go stalk IamtheCheapestGamer.

2/28

DS
Mario Kart - 10.00
Scribblenauts - 9.75
Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades - 4.75
Elebits: Adventures of Kai & Zero - 2.00

Gamecube
The Sims 2 - 4.25
The Sims: Bustin' Out - 2.25

So after 50% + edge card, L4D2 would give me $47.60 store credit??

I paid $31 for it a month ago. That's a ridiculous score. If it still has the USED stickers on it, would that affect the refurb fee?

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']So after 50% + edge card, L4D2 would give me $47.60 store credit??

I paid $31 for it a month ago. That's a ridiculous score. If it still has the USED stickers on it, would that affect the refurb fee?[/QUOTE]

1. Yes.
2. Yes, it's a rediculous score, but not as good as my flip from buying a copy for $20 yesterday and selling it to GS for $47.61 :D
3. The Used stickers and refurb fee depend on the clerk you get. I doubt they would do a refurb fee for the case. It's usually for the discs that there is a refurb fee afaik.

[quote name='dabamus']1. Yes.
2. Yes, it's a rediculous score, but not as good as my flip from buying a copy for $20 yesterday and selling it to GS for $47.61 :D
3. The Used stickers and refurb fee depend on the clerk you get. I doubt they would do a refurb fee for the case. It's usually for the discs that there is a refurb fee afaik.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! In that case, I just beat all the chapters so LFD2 is gone. Maybe I'll get BF2 or use it towards Splinter Cell Conviction.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Thanks! In that case, I just beat all the chapters so LFD2 is gone. Maybe I'll get BF2 or use it towards Splinter Cell Conviction.[/QUOTE]

I'm buying another copy later today for $25 and flipping that and then putting the total to pay for a CE of SCC and then I'll get a couple $5 games and have to pay 63 cents over the TIV for the two copies of L4D2.(if it stays the same for today) :D

[quote name='dabamus']I'm buying another copy later today for $25 and flipping that and then putting the total to pay for a CE of SCC and then I'll get a couple $5 games and have to pay 63 cents over the TIV for the two copies of L4D2.(if it stays the same for today) :D[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting the cheap LFD2 copies?

Didnt see the TIV for Sonic & Sega All Stars on the DS. I know it is new but my son wants to trade it in for a different game. ANyone know its TIV. Thanks

[quote name='Freeisgood']Didnt see the TIV for Sonic & Sega All Stars on the DS. I know it is new but my son wants to trade it in for a different game. ANyone know its TIV. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Probably no one has traded it in. The TIV is $14 at Amazon, so I'd think it'd be in the same ballpark at Gamestop. You're probably going to get $15.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']I feel your pain brutha, but this could happen anywhere, you cant single out gamestop.. Hell i know its more like that at my local Gamecrazies than gamestops!

In a recent experience, i asked a gc employee to kindly show me the GBA Micro behind the counter (during the 9.99 old gen system sale). His response.... no lie.....
"phft... why you want a GBA Micro man?"

My response... "Gee I donno.. to play?? This is one of the reasons your whole company is going under pal. See ya"[/QUOTE]

When was this 9.99 old gen system sale? What was on sale? Can you tell me anymore about it? Was it just gameboy colors and micros? If I find a gameboy micro at GS, should it still ring up $9.99?

BTW, I like how you told off that a-hole employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back