GTA Chinatown and Rhythm Heaven - DS on sale at amazon

Casteor

CAGiversary!
GTA Chinatown Wars is being sold for $19.75 and Rhythm Heaven for $14.98 by Amazon. These are on the DS.

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-A...UTF8&coliid=I5CNM8S3D3GDQ&colid=22ARBM9SOKZ43

http://www.amazon.com/Rhythm-Heaven...TF8&coliid=I2LSORXNR7BK1I&colid=22ARBM9SOKZ43

I'm wondering if I should pick these games up or will they go cheaper in a couple months? I don't exactly plan to massively be playing as soon as I receive the games (if I purchase them) because of how many games I just got for my PS3.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
$20 is the most I'd pay for GTA:CW right now, and I think it's totally worth it. I bought it at release for full price.

I think $15 for Rhythm Heaven is a steal, but I'd only buy it if you are certain you would like it. It's one of those love/hate titles. If you have a Wii, you might see if there's still a demo available for it. It may also be available at the DS demo stations you find in retail stores.

[quote name='MetalGearDraco']Yeah, even for those prices, I don't think I'd buy them. $10 would be my sweet spot.[/QUOTE]
Haha, okay.

I did, however, pick up The World Ends With You during the lightning deal. I comboed it with I believe a PS3 Official Bluetooth mic, which made me eligible for $10 discount. Basically, I got it for free.

Chinatown Wars is easily worth 20. I'm not a big DS player, but that was definitely the best game I've played for it.

[quote name='trunks982']which GTA:chinatown is better? DS or PSP?[/QUOTE]

Most reviews point to the PSP version as the superior product. Not by a huge margin, but it *is* better.

[quote name='MetalGearDraco']Yeah, even for those prices, I don't think I'd buy them. $10 would be my sweet spot.[/QUOTE]

$15 Rhythm Heaven is totally worth it, even back when it was discounted with the DSi release.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Most reviews point to the PSP version as the superior product. Not by a huge margin, but it *is* better.[/QUOTE]

The graphics on the PSP are (obviously) better, although I have heard that the play control on the DS was better because they shoehorned in the touch-based minigames onto the PSP where they don't work quite as well, rather than trying to make up a better scheme that fits the PSP controls.

I have only played the DS version though.

[quote name='Ruahrc']The graphics on the PSP are (obviously) better, although I have heard that the play control on the DS was better because they shoehorned in the touch-based minigames onto the PSP where they don't work quite as well, rather than trying to make up a better scheme that fits the PSP controls.

I have only played the DS version though.[/QUOTE]

i was wondering about the controls and graphics. which one i should choose.

[quote name='trunks982']i was wondering about the controls and graphics. which one i should choose.[/QUOTE]

I've played both versions, and in my opinion the PSP version is better. It's just easier to see what's going on because textures are clearer and it takes full advantage of the big/wide screen of the PSP. I also like the fact that you don't need to take your hands off the controls to do the touch screen minigame stuff every 5 seconds (you pretty much have to keep the stylus in your hand at all times on the DS version). The touch screen stuff was fun at first on the DS version, but gets old VERY quickly.

Woah. The difference in the graphics is startling. I may have to unload my DS version and pick the PSP up now.

And I agree with getting tired of having to have the stylus ready at all times. There is a mission where you have to lose the cops in a vehicle and use the stylus at the same time on the bottom screen that was just a pain in the ass.

[quote name='Casteor']I think DS looks more fun to play on. Graphically, PSP is usually always superior.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.
I would go for the DS.

chinatown actually dropped to $20 earlier this week for thanksgiving I presume. So not sure it will stay there. It's been $30 up until now.

[quote name='trunks982']which GTA:chinatown is better? DS or PSP?[/QUOTE]

Depends what you prefer: stylus controls or better graphics.

Personally, I'd rather have the bigger screen and higher-res gfx of the PSP version, so I'm gonna pass on this DS deal.

Lobbing molotavs and grenades never gets old in the DS version. You do need to keep the stylus in hand, but I'm not finding this to be a problem. Great game and it really does have a huge amount of content, and the top-down graphics are good. I'd like to try the PSP version too, but the DS version is definitely great and well worth $20. One thing that bugs me in the DS version is the lack of an analog stick to control your character when walking. The digital controls work great for driving, but when walking it's a tad awkward. It's not a deal-killer by any means, though.

I only own the DS version, but I'd say the psp version is better w/out even playing it. My only problem w/ the ds version is that it's hard to tell what's going on, and where you are. The touch controls are cool, but I'd rather know where I'm going.

I have both the DS and PSP version. Its easy to say that the PSP is the better version based on controls and graphics (although the fact they didn't put voiceover or actually music tracks in the game sucks!) However, when you go with the DS version, you're getting the authentic experience. The touch based controls work great, it pushes the DS to its limits graphically and looks great. A lot of things were 'lost in translation' on the port to the PSP, but both hold up in their own rights.

If you're a true fan, you should have both anyway...

Rhythm Heaven is now $10!!! And its trade in value is at $14, go figure. Seems like an obvious flip, but I don't recommend it since that's just evil.

bread's done
Back