GTAIV vs Mario Kart Wii: Which sold better?

Perfect*Ending

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
When GTAIV was released, Nintendo's answer was to release Mario Kart Wii in that same week.

Now that it's been awhile, anyone know which game is currently selling more to date?

Well, given the barometer of NPD, Mario Kart Wii is still there. GTAIV isn't. GTAIV also released on 3 platforms. Mario Kart had an accessory on a Nintendo system. That last part was really all I needed to say, wasn't it?

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, given the barometer of NPD, Mario Kart Wii is still there. GTAIV isn't. GTAIV also released on 3 platforms. Mario Kart had an accessory on a Nintendo system. That last part was really all I needed to say, wasn't it?[/QUOTE]
Of course, a game that is released on three platforms - especially when one of them is PC - is less likely to show up on NPD 'cause they split things up by console.

Just sayin'.

The most recent accurate info I could find for GTA IV's sales (for all platforms) is here, where it's said to have sold nearly 13 million copies up until January 31, 2009.

At the game sales prediction market simExchange, the Mario Kart Wii stock is still going strong at 2,425.78 DKP, while both GTA IV stocks (360 and PS3) are no longer available; they closed out at 886.77 and 740.13, respectively

I don't see how you can say this was Nintendo's "answer" to GTA IV. You can stack Mario Kart against nearly any game released at any time last year on another console and it's going to beat it. It has very little to do with Mario Kart being a GTA IV killer. The game was going to sell regardless, no matter what time of the year they launched it at.

Thanks for the sales data, guys. Mario Kart Wii wins!

[quote name='mtxbass1']I don't see how you can say this was Nintendo's "answer" to GTA IV.[/QUOTE]
Well, not an "answer" exactly, but I remember reading an article near when GTAIV was coming out. Nintendo said they decided to release Mario Kart Wii very close to GTAIV to counteract GTAIV's sales. It went something like that. :bouncy:

i could see if you compared sales of burnout paradise to mario kart but gta4? comparing the sales of gta4 to mario kart is comletly wiitarted.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Thanks for the sales data, guys. Mario Kart Wii wins!

Well, not an "answer" exactly, but I remember reading an article near when GTAIV was coming out. Nintendo said they decided to release Mario Kart Wii very close to GTAIV to counteract GTAIV's sales. It went something like that. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

pretty cool story bro

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Thanks for the sales data, guys. Mario Kart Wii wins!

Well, not an "answer" exactly, but I remember reading an article near when GTAIV was coming out. Nintendo said they decided to release Mario Kart Wii very close to GTAIV to counteract GTAIV's sales. It went something like that. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I bought both that week so it didn't work on me.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it takes 3 platforms to sell the amount of mario kart wii and it only took one console to sell that much. it tells you something does it not.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. There's a lot of factors at play here. The installed user base of the Wii vs. the PS3 and Xbox 360. The E rating of Mario Kart vs. the M rating of GTAIV. The addition of a packed-in peripheral and the perceived value of that for a full priced title. The lack of a multitude of quality software at the time on the Wii. Etc. Etc.

I don't think you were, but some might try to read sales like this and say Mario Kart is a better title or more popular franchise based on this data alone. It's a little more complicated than that, but still mighty impressive. It makes missteps like Wii Music all the more shocking, even though it even sold in the millions.

Obviously any Mario Kart (or basically any Mario game really) is going to sell like crazy. As far as the rating comparison, Mario Kart appeals to a wider audience, being E rated and involving Mario, but at the same time there are a multitude of people who are going to buy GTAIV because it's "cool" and not buy Mario Kart because it's "kiddie" so in that respect the E rating (and M rating) can both help and hurt sales, depending on the audience. Overall I think the E is a plus for sales though, as it pretty much always is AFAIK, since parents will buy them pretty much by default as well as people who have grown past the stage where they buy things according to coolness.

But just any E rated game isn't going to necessarily share that success, the name recognition and the fact that it's awesome helps it too. GTA is a huge seller with name recognition as well, so I would say that Mario Kart beat it out mostly because of the larger base for the Wii, not so much because of the rating or anything else.

They're both very good games, I also bought both of them. It would probably be more interesting to compare percentages relative to the console base to see their actual popularity amongst those groups, but GTAIV being on multiple platforms and the Wii basically selling just because it exists more so than because it plays games would probably complicate that.

Considering I still have my copy of Mario Kart Wii, bought a 2nd wheel and bought/sold 4 copies of GTAIV used at BBV to GS? I'd say the winner is clear.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it takes 3 platforms to sell the amount of mario kart wii and it only took one console to sell that much. it tells you something does it not.[/QUOTE]

That MK:Wii is one of about 10 games that sold well on the Wii and that Wii owners don't buy anything else.

wait a minute, you're considering the m rating for grand theft auto 4 and your considering that mario kart is for kids as the reason why mario kart wii has sold more as compared to grand theft auto 4. yet, gta 3 for the ps2 from last generation sold really well. something is wrong with the picture.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']wait a minute, you're considering the m rating for grand theft auto 4 and your considering that mario kart is for kids as the reason why mario kart wii has sold more as compared to grand theft auto 4. yet, gta 3 for the ps2 from last generation sold really well. something is wrong with the picture.[/QUOTE]

This is more likely a factor of GTA4 failing to live up to expectations. It cost a fortune to make and could've been released as an expansion to GTASA instead and had about the same content. They upgraded graphics and tweaked driving in a way which didn't matter.

GTA still sold 13 million so it's not like it worked. Seems like a lot of people bought both. Mario Kart to play with the kids and GTA for when they went to sleep.

bread's done
Back