Guild Wars Question

darthbudge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Hello, everyone recently I brought Guild Wars and I was quite excited because it was one of the few MMORPGs that can be played on Dial Up, well as I was waiting for my CDs to arrive I tried downloading the client and logging in. Well after like 24 hours of straight downloading I finally had the client and I created my charecter and went to start playing. Well I got a loading screen that said "Ascalon City" and had an 200+ MB download which would be nearly impossible to download on a Dial Up connection. I figuered this was because I did not install it from the discs so I cancelled the download and waited for my CDs to arrive.

Well a few days later they arrive and after a few more hours of downloading finally the game installs and I select my charecter and go to play and I get the same downloading screen! So my question is what came on the discs then that there is still this huge file to download? Also could log into my account on a friends computer with High Speed internet and then have the file download and copy the file and put it in my game directory?

Also how many large files are there to download like this because it really makes the game unplayable on Dial up.

Guild Wars is constantly updating itself, so I guess you either have to wait for the downloads or get boradband. Also when you enter a town for the first time going probably gonna have to download another update.

The version that shipped on the discs is probably the version that went out at launch. As ofacto said, the game constantly updates itself so as soon as you start it up, it grabs all the patches that occured in the last year and a half. Luckily, its only something you'll have to do once, since the individual patches themselves are pretty small, and after the initial load, you'll only have to load a few mb's at a time.

Another thing you should know, the first time you get to an area you'll have to download it. On dial-up it might take awhile but once you have it you won't need to download it again.

There is also a way to make it download all the maps if you want to do that. I would recommend that for dial-up. Guildwarsguru.com has a thread that will tell you how to do it. Its really easy to do but the site is down right now so just look it up later.

bread's done
Back