Guilty Gear 2: Overture - $7.99 w/ FS @ NewEgg: DEAD

Knoxximus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3001&cm_re=guilty_gear-_-74-203-001-_-Product

This game is currently $7.99 new with free shipping at NewEgg, and it is AWESOME for what it is.

You have to not think of it so much in terms of a fighting game...it is much more like an Action/RTS hybrid with fighting game mechanics. And, for all the old heads out there, if you have EVER wanted a sequel to the seminal Genesis classic, Herzog Zwei (arguably the Father of the RTS genre), THIS IS THAT GAME. Only difference is your "transformable robot/plane" is now a beastly GG character.

Gameplay is almost identical. Capture little bases to build capital to make more troops. When you engage your turbo running mode, it's like turning into the jet in HZ. You can also "hand carry" troops to where you want them once you have given them orders, again, much like HZ. This game is sooooo much like Herzog, it CAN'T be coincidence.

So, in closing, don't approach this game as a fighting game...approach it as the spiritual successor to the greatest console RTS ever MADE. THEN you will have a BLAST!!

Plus, at this price, no one has ANY reason not to give it a go. Once you wrap your head around it (much like Herzog...it also had quite the learning curve), 2 player matches with even skilled opponents are just plain EPIC!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought it at 10 from newegg a while back, and it's absolutely worth that. If you liked Brutal legend's gameplay, I think you'd like this. Its not a perfect game, but it is fun for what it is.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Before I buy it, does this support split screen 2 player with vs (and hopefully co-op, ie. 2 players vs ai)>[/QUOTE]

Yep. Split screen both for online and couch.:cool:

Up to 4 players online, 2 players couch.

Arghh... In for that and Devil May Cry 4. I'm tempted on some of the other cheaper 360 games, like Brother in Arms Hell's Highway...

[quote name='ninja dog']I've always been curious...I'm in at that price.[/QUOTE]

Ditto...

Sadly, I haven't touched my last 4 games I got from newegg at less than ten bucks each... Operation Darkness; Warhammer: Battle March; Battle Fantasia, and, hell, I cannot remember...

BUT I OBVIOUSLY NEED ANOTHER GAME! :lol:

I had been slightly curious about this for a while now...

Well, I looked at the screenshots for the game on the newegg site, and I cannot begin to tell what the hell is going on in any of them. I was a big fan of Guilty Gear X2 #Reload on xbox, so I know the characters and all that..

At $8, I can take a recommendation and a chance. Thanks, OP.

The comments in this thread are the first time I've read anything positive about this game. Every time I've seen Overture mentioned anywhere, everyone says it's terrible.

That didn't keep me from buying it for $10 at newegg a few months ago. Haven't opened it yet but this thread gives me hope.

[quote name='norkusa']The comments in this thread are the first time I've read anything positive about this game. Every time I've seen Overture mentioned anywhere, everyone says it's terrible.

That didn't keep me from buying it for $10 at newegg a few months ago. Haven't opened it yet but this thread gives me hope.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I feel that the biggest problem is that most gamers approach it with a fighting game mentality, which, given it's pedigree, is totally understandable. So, knowing this, I can easily see scores of gamers being disgusted with this game.

It's the gaming equivalent of going to Mikey D's drive thru, ordering a Big Mac meal, getting home, and plopping on the couch in front of the TV to take in a flick. You open the bag, with your taste buds SET on two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, and pickles on a sesame seed bun, and to your dismay, you are greeted by a freaking FILET O' FISH.

with NO CHEESE.:bomb:

[quote name='Knoxximus']Like I said, I feel that the biggest problem is that most gamers approach it with a fighting game mentality, which, given it's pedigree, is totally understandable. So, knowing this, I can easily see scores of gamers being disgusted with this game.

It's the gaming equivalent of going to Mikey D's drive thru, ordering a Big Mac meal, getting home, and plopping on the couch in front of the TV to take in a flick. You open the bag, with your taste buds SET on two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, and pickles on a sesame seed bun, and to your dismay, you are greeted by a freaking QUARTER POUNDER.

WITH CHEESE.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

why would the cheese make you angry? that'd be the one consolation for me...in this hypothetical situation

[quote name='ninja dog']why would the cheese make you angry? that'd be the one consolation for me...in this hypothetical situation[/QUOTE]

Haha fine...for you, substitute a FLIET O' FISH....with NO cheese.:lol:

[quote name='Okatha']Herzog! It's been forever since I played that game. Tempting me man, tempting![/QUOTE]

It's 8 bucks for the closest 3D revamp we will probably ever see...and it's 4 players online and 2 players couch. It's not perfect but it scratches that itch pretty damn good! As a fellow Herzog fan, please trust me on this one.:D

[quote name='Knoxximus']Haha fine...for you, substitute a FLIET O' FISH....with NO cheese.:lol:[/QUOTE]

okay NOW I'M PISSED :bomb:

McDonald's fish?!! those bastards...they don't even say what kind of fish it is

[quote name='ninja dog']okay NOW I'M PISSED :bomb:

McDonald's fish?!! those bastards...they don't even say what kind of fish it is[/QUOTE]

It's probably not fish.

[quote name='ninja dog']okay NOW I'M PISSED :bomb:

McDonald's fish?!! those bastards...they don't even say what kind of fish it is[/QUOTE]

Haha...I think I shall update my original analogy to avoid any more confusion.:lol:;)

I've never played Herzog, but I like RTS and I got this in the B2G1 deal at Gamestop, and absolutely HATED it. Died in a minute tops, no clue what was going on. That's only my opinion however, and I'm glad to read there are people that enjoy it

[quote name='d8onausa']Re: "Herzog Zwei 2"... I would send that to the department of redundancy department.[/QUOTE]

I know it's technically "Duke 2: 2"...the title was for the rest of us not fluent in German.:roll:

Oh wow people who remember Herzog Zwei!

I probably would have skipped this thread if I hadn't seen Herzog Zwei in the title. Very tempted to pick this up especially for the price. Maybe after I get caught up on a few games I'll jump on it. Definitely looking forward to it especially after seeing some gameplay vids

[quote name='Knoxximus']http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3001&cm_re=guilty_gear-_-74-203-001-_-Product

This game is currently $7.99 new with free shipping at NewEgg, and it is AWESOME for what it is.

You have to not think of it so much in terms of a fighting game...it is much more like an Action/RTS hybrid with fighting game mechanics. And, for all the old heads out there, if you have EVER wanted a sequel to the seminal Genesis classic, Herzog Zwei (arguably the Father of the RTS genre), THIS IS THAT GAME. Only difference is your "transformable robot/plane" is now a beastly GG character.

Gameplay is almost identical. Capture little bases to build capital to make more troops. When you engage your turbo running mode, it's like turning into the jet in HZ. You can also "hand carry" troops to where you want them once you have given them orders, again, much like HZ. This game is sooooo much like Herzog, it CAN'T be coincidence.

So, in closing, don't approach this game as a fighting game...approach it as the spiritual successor to the greatest console RTS ever MADE. THEN you will have a BLAST!!

Plus, at this price, no one has ANY reason not to give it a go. Once you wrap your head around it (much like Herzog...it also had quite the learning curve), 2 player matches with even skilled opponents are just plain EPIC![/QUOTE]

Whoa, whoa, whoa ... now, I'll support the occasionally badly reviewed game when it truly has gameplay merits (i.e. God Hand, and maybe, maybe PN03), but this? This game is horrible. Played it for about 10 minutes before wondering what ARC was thinking releasing this trash. At least the disc can be used as a coaster.

This is essentially Dynasty Warriors done poorly. If you want to play this game, just pick up any of Koei's mash-up games (Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors -- heck, even Crimson Sea) -- any of those are leaps and bounds better in gameplay, story, value, and strategy than Overture.

I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would support this game. There's not a redeeming element to anything in it. The gameplay is meh, the strategy parts are brain-dead, and the graphics look like they belong on the Gamecube. This might as well have been an original Xbox game.

If you really want a 3-d take on a fighting franchise, you're better off with that Soul Calibur spin-off on the Wii (which also is mediocre but at least there's more substance).

Save your $7.99 and put it towards better games.

In fact, just pay $1 more and get Samurai Warriors 2 Empires:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=samurai_warriors-_-74-148-003-_-Product

Far and away better than Overture. Geesh, I never thought I'd see the day when I recommend a Koei game, but seriously, Overture is bad :p

Listen, just cuz it's cheap doesn't mean it's worth buying. If that were true, y'all should go buy Superman Returns for the 360 -- IMHO, that's about where I'd put Overture. ARC should be ashamed of releasing this kind of franchise mess.

If you really want a 3-d take on a fighting franchise, you're better off with that Soul Calibur spin-off on the Wii (which also is mediocre but at least there's more substance).

This one sentence totally nullifies your opinion in this thread.

THIS IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME. It is an Action/RTS hybrid with more focus on battlefield tactics, resource management, and overall "destroying the enemy's base" than there is on actual fighting.

You, sir, and your line of thinking in regards to what this game is attempting to accomplish, are part of the problem.

Have you ever heard of, much less played, Herzog Zwei?

[quote name='romeogbs19']If you really want a 3-d take on a fighting franchise, you're better off with that Soul Calibur spin-off on the Wii (which also is mediocre but at least there's more substance).[/QUOTE]

Soul Calibur Legends is terrible.

[quote name='Knoxximus']This one sentence totally nullifies your opinion in this thread.

THIS IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME. It is an Action/RTS hybrid with more focus on battlefield tactics, resource management, and overall "destroying the enemy's base" than there is on actual fighting.

You, sir, and your line of thinking in regards to what this game is attempting to accomplish, are part of the problem.

Have you ever heard of, much less played, Herzog Zwei?[/QUOTE]

Oh, wow -- that you would put Overture and Herzog Zwei in the same post ... oy, how dare you tarnish one of my favorite Genesis treasures.

Seriously, if you consider Overture a RTS/tactical game, then you really have never played any games in this genre (or have a really low standard for what makes games like these so fun). Why would I play Overture for RTS when there are plenty of better games that do this and actually have AI worth competing against. Sure, Overture has some strategic parts, but if you're telling me that these are up to snuff such that Overture is on par with games that do this way, way better, then I'd like to hear what other games are in your 360 library. For that matter, I'd like to know what kind of games you played before the 360 (Again, Herzog Zwei? Really? You think Overture is as good as Herzog Zwei? Are you joking?)

Like I said, the Koei games are better Action/RTS titles than Overture -- and that's saying something. Heck, even Shining Force EXA made me think more about tactics than this.

Clearly, you and I don't agree on this game. I simply think it's a piece of garbage not worth the disc it's printed on. For those who enjoyed Herzog Zwei, and think Overture is anything even remotely close -- well, prepare to be devastatingly disappointed.

My reco on this "deal" is to save your $8 and put it towards better, more deserving games. If you want to try a severely broken, story-less gibberish (I mean, seriously, RTS games typically have great storylines, at least -- just wait til you play this one), misguided, directionless, AI-deficient, fugly-looking next-gen game, and can't seem to find anything better to do with $8, then by all means, add this to your collection.

My view is, in these harder economic times, I'd rather be more picky with the games I buy. Cheapness alone now doesn't cut it.

I already own this game, but have never played it. I assumed with Guilty Gear, it was a fighting game. I love Herzog Zwei. That was my favorite Genesis game. I want a real Herzog Zwei 2 or 1.5 (I'm just asking for bigger maps with at least a 200 troop limit).

[quote name='opportunity777']Soul Calibur Legends is terrible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my point exactly :) You think Legends is bad, wait til you play Overture. It's like ARC and Namco got together and placed a bet on who could make the worst spin-off game possible.

I give the edge to Legends -- only because you have cooler characters to play as. Story-wise, both games are a mess -- at least Legends doesn't try as hard to develop a story. Overture, on the other hand -- well, I can't even try to make sense of it.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Oh, wow -- that you would put Overture and Herzog Zwei in the same post ... oy, how dare you tarnish one of my favorite Genesis treasures.

Seriously, if you consider Overture a RTS/tactical game, then you really have never played any games in this genre (or have a really low standard for what makes games like these so fun). Why would I play Overture for RTS when there are plenty of better games that do this and actually have AI worth competing against. Sure, Overture has some strategic parts, but if you're telling me that these are up to snuff such that Overture is on par with games that do this way, way better, then I'd like to hear what other games are in your 360 library. For that matter, I'd like to know what kind of games you played before the 360 (Again, Herzog Zwei? Really? You think Overture is as good as Herzog Zwei? Are you joking?)

Like I said, the Koei games are better Action/RTS titles than Overture -- and that's saying something. Heck, even Shining Force EXA made me think more about tactics than this.

Clearly, you and I don't agree on this game. I simply think it's a piece of garbage not worth the disc it's printed on. For those who enjoyed Herzog Zwei, and think Overture is anything even remotely close -- well, prepare to be devastatingly disappointed.

My reco on this "deal" is to save your $8 and put it towards better, more deserving games. If you want to try a severely broken, story-less gibberish (I mean, seriously, RTS games typically have great storylines, at least -- just wait til you play this one), misguided, directionless, AI-deficient, fugly-looking next-gen game, and can't seem to find anything better to do with $8, then by all means, add this to your collection.

My view is, in these harder economic times, I'd rather be more picky with the games I buy. Cheapness alone now doesn't cut it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say the game is perfect...I said that so far this game is the closest console RTS hyrbrid TO Herzog I have played.

I'm not gonna get long winded with you. We can agree to disagree on this one. I like this and you'd rather play Soul Calibur Legends....I get it....and I'm cool with that.:cool:

[quote name='Knoxximus']I didn't say the game is perfect...I said that so far this game is the closest console RTS hyrbrid TO Herzog I have played.

I'm not gonna get long winded with you. We can agree to disagree on this one. I like this and you'd rather play Soul Calibur Legends....I get it....and I'm cool with that.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Totally -- not trying to pick a fight; just figured I'd offer my 2 cents on this since there seemed to be a lot of positivity for this game in this thread.

:) Agree to disagree. I can also agree that Herzog is an amazing game and I've yet to play anything quite like it. I stand by my post that those looking to find the kind of fun in Herzog in Overture just won't find it there -- but if you found some of that fun, then more power to you :)

[quote name='romeogbs19']:) Agree to disagree. I can also agree that Herzog is an amazing game and I've yet to play anything quite like it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. If Sega/Technosoft could get it together an release the original game on XBL/PSN (hell, I'll take it for Wii!) online enabled...it would probably be the only game I'd play for a very long time.

I'm actually shocked Herzog hasn't even showed up on the Virtual Console yet...and how the hell was Herzog excluded from that Sonic's Sega Mega Collection or whatever? Sad state of affairs.:cry:

[quote name='Knoxximus']I agree with you wholeheartedly here. If Sega/Technosoft could get it together an release the original game on XBL/PSN (hell, I'll take it for Wii!) online enabled...it would probably be the only game I'd play for a very long time.
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but WHAT was Herzog Zwei? As I said before, I never played it, and I'd rather get a review of sorts from people who like the game. It won't change my thoughts on Overture though haha, just want to know the game this is sort of like.

I remember buying Isuka for 19.99 a while back

then the game disappeared from my shelf for a while and I didn't really seem to notice. It was good for what I remembered.

Wow, thanks for telling me, I recently bought the Tekken 6 limited edition with fightstick and was considering getting this game so I have more fighting games, but since it has RTS elements, I'm now no longer interested.

Well, it was $7.84 after bing cash back, so I'm feeling the deal! Yes, I applied for 2 percent of 7.99.

bread's done
Back