Guitar Hero 2 Rock's The 80's Expansion - SONG LIST REVEALED!!!

[quote name='mykevermin']I can understand your point, especially in a "nostalgic" title like this - you want widespread appeal, and that involves gathering popular titles. However, two things also come to mind:

1) the cost of getting some mega popular titles. Apparently, Quiet Riot was put in their place, since Metal Health was ready for GHII (thanks, HD Loader!) - we can assume they wanted megabucks for it, and brought down their offer substantially b/w now and then. (Other plausible explanations include either missing the deadline for contracts for GHII, or also deliberately holding out on the song specifically for this title).

Quiet Riot aside, we can see the prohibitiveness of cost every time someone brings up Metallica. We'd love to see "One" or "Master of Puppets" in this title, but we all know Metallica wants eleventy bajillion dollars for it, or any other song ("Four Horsemen" or "Motorbreath" would be my picks). Keep in mind, however, that Metallica is surely not alone in overvaluing their songs. Not all bands want "Metallica money," but at the same time, would you pay the same licensing fee to, say, Great White, that you would to Metallica?

2) The attractiveness of lesser known artists - GH1 and 2 were "artificially" bulked up in the number of songs they had due to submissions from relatively unknown acts. I think the same could be done w/ this game as well. Just because it isn't "Sister Christian" doesn't mean it's not fun to play, of course. I'm not taking about all-obscure stuff, but mix in some old Social Distortion ("Mommy's Little Monster," for example, or "Story of My Life") with your Poison. You *can* have your cake and eat it, too. Including lesser-known 80's songs doesn't imply that popular tracks would be left out, of course.[/quote]

I'm not sure about the economics of everything but how many of those original artists do you think still actually own the rights to their songs? Also, wouldn't the smart way to negotiate be to pay the bands/copyright holders a modest flat fee to put the song in the game and then give them a percentage of the overall sales of the game? If they sell 4M copies at $90 then even 0.1% of that will be a nice chunk of change - it also incentivizes the bands to allow their material to be used to make the product better to sell more copies - seems like a win/win to me. What's the alternative? Make nothing? I'm sure Lita Ford can use whatever money she can get these days and it's not like any of these artist will have to do any actual work to get paid.

[quote name='csidegamer']Come on, what about Rainbow in the Dark?
JK, Holy Diver is great. I can have my kid run around with a cardboard sword while I'm playing. He's about as tall as Ronnie.
[/QUOTE]

LOL...I'm seeing Ronnie next week play with Heaven and Hell.....now all I'm gonna think of is some kid playing real-life D&D..kinda..like..Ronnie does :p

But I admit, Holy Diver isn't exactly Dio's most rocking song, not by far.
This is a questionable choice. Last in Line has better guitar and is better known, Rainbow In The Dark is probably my #1 choice..

Would have liked to see Neon Knights or Heaven and Hell from Sabbath also.

Agreed....but if I had to choose, its either Neon Knights or Mob Rules. Mob Rules would be punishing but awesome to play.
Still, they can't use the Black Sabbath name with RJD anymore, at least on tour, so I'm guessing we wont be seeing any
vintage post-ozzy Sabbath anytime soon.

As for The Clash? The perfect GHII Song: White Riot, tho many would prefer Rock the Casbah.

I wonder how long it'll take to get something like Ted Nugent on there...Wango Tango.....Weekend Warriors....Cat Scratch Fever....

You'll have to work with 0.1% of $40, since I'm sure any royalties paid would be off the price of the game, and not the bundle. Perhaps (or it's a smaller % for each bundle sold compared to the title itself, making it a balancing act or moot in any event).

I agree that it's pretty win-win, but if it were so easy, we would have seen some Led Zeppelin or Metallica by now. People don't rationalize according to strict mathematical calculations.

That said, my Motley Crue vote is for "Live Wire."

[quote name='HeadRusch']

This is a questionable choice. Last in Line has better guitar and is better known, Rainbow In The Dark is probably my #1 choice..[/quote]If you want "most rocking" you want Stand Up and Shout!

[quote name='mykevermin']You'll have to work with 0.1% of $40, since I'm sure any royalties paid would be off the price of the game, and not the bundle. Perhaps (or it's a smaller % for each bundle sold compared to the title itself, making it a balancing act or moot in any event).

I agree that it's pretty win-win, but if it were so easy, we would have seen some Led Zeppelin or Metallica by now. People don't rationalize according to strict mathematical calculations.

That said, my Motley Crue vote is for "Live Wire."[/quote]

Good points. I don't understand why some bands just won't license their music. I've heard Stairway about a BILLION times and as great as it is I'm kind of done with it but I'd sure love to play it in Guitar Hero. I guess when you achieve the status of some of the truely legendary/wealthy bands out there an extra $200k to split 4 ways really isn't going to motivate you to give up your "artistic integrity" or whatever bullshit reasons they have. If it really is "about the music" though no one should have any objections to licensing a song for Guitar Hero.

[quote name='dallow'] Actually, any listen to Television?
Now that's some awesome guitar. I'd love to play some of their songs.[/QUOTE]

"Friction" or "See No Evil" would be outstanding. I would love to try "Marquee Moon", but I think the length would be a deal breaker.

Some other bands that would be fun, off the top of my head: Gang of Four, Dinosaur Jr., Meat Puppets, Pere Ubu, The Smiths, The Jam, ....

I look forward to seeing more of the track list, it's not too exciting for me personally right now.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm not sure about the economics of everything but how many of those original artists do you think still actually own the rights to their songs? Also, wouldn't the smart way to negotiate be to pay the bands/copyright holders a modest flat fee to put the song in the game and then give them a percentage of the overall sales of the game? If they sell 4M copies at $90 then even 0.1% of that will be a nice chunk of change - it also incentivizes the bands to allow their material to be used to make the product better to sell more copies - seems like a win/win to me. What's the alternative? Make nothing? I'm sure Lita Ford can use whatever money she can get these days and it's not like any of these artist will have to do any actual work to get paid.[/QUOTE]

Artists can be absolute bitches when it comes to this sort of thing, so all logic may have to be thrown out the window.

Personally, I want more metal. Some Maiden, Priest, Exodus, Slayer, Anthrax, Overkill, etc. would be nice.

[quote name='HeadRusch']
This is a questionable choice. Last in Line has better guitar and is better known, Rainbow In The Dark is probably my #1 choice..

[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with you that Last in Line should have been in there. But Holy Diver is one of those songs that's just so bad its good. Like, no joke when I say that Holy Diver made me and some of my friends want this game more.

Marquee Moon came out in 1977...

I'd like to see:

Talking Heads-- Crosseyed and Painless
The Pixies -- anything but Here Comes Your Man (Wave of Mutilation plz)
Sonic Youth -- Teenage Riot
Prince -- When Doves Cry (you know you want to)

and it's not the 80's without "The Safety Dance" by Men with Hats.

Now the real question is: Are they going to be releasing an actual boxed game for the 360 version? Or are they going to rip us off by releasing the songs as packs on the marketplace?

[quote name='yukine']Now the real question is: Are they going to be releasing an actual boxed game for the 360 version? Or are they going to rip us off by releasing the songs as packs on the marketplace?[/quote]

1. I'd buy a boxed copy in a second
2. I'd buy a $40 DLC package in a second (with 200 extra achievement points, of course)
3. I'd be very pissed and very hesitant to buy anything if they released the songs in packs of three for 500 MSPts.

[quote name='javeryh']1. I'd buy a boxed copy in a second
2. I'd buy a $40 DLC package in a second (with 200 extra achievement points, of course)
3. I'd be very pissed and very hesitant to buy anything if they released the songs in packs of three for 500 MSPts.[/quote]
A $40.00 DLC pack would be fine for me as well, I'm just worried they will try and pull what they did with the tracks from the first game.

We'll have to wait and see.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']She Sells Sanctuary would be pretty sweet. Fire Woman wouldn't be a bad song to add either.[/QUOTE]

Wildflower or Love Removal Machine . Choose one .

[quote name='Apossum']Marquee Moon came out in 1977...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. Just responding to the previous comment on it and realized that although it's not possible for this installment, I would love to see it in a future version.

[quote name='Richlough']Wildflower or Love Removal Machine . Choose one .[/QUOTE]

Love Removal Machine would be good too

I just wanna see the Cult in here somehow

[quote name='yukine']Now the real question is: Are they going to be releasing an actual boxed game for the 360 version? Or are they going to rip us off by releasing the songs as packs on the marketplace?[/quote]

Why bother asking when you already know the answer? Time to start working extra hours at Burger King so I can afford the $150 in DLC...

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Why bother asking when you already know the answer? Time to start working extra hours at Burger King so I can afford the $150 in DLC...[/quote]
Really!? I didn't know I had the answer!

Hey everybody! I have the answers to all of life's questions! Ask me anything!

I'm sorry.

The 80's were shit for good music overall. Cock rock is some of the most horrid music on the planet, just ahead of country. The only band on a game like this that would matter is The Pixies. Thank God Nirvana put an end to that bullshit. The only band that may deserve a few props from that era is probably U2 and their earlier material.

[quote name='Supercake']40$ for 30 songs? Isn't GH2 (PS2) around 50 something songs? I dunno, may have to wait for a price drop on this. But, the song list is quite good so far.[/QUOTE]

First: Guitar Hero 1 hasn't even received a price drop yet. You'll be waiting a while. Second: Guitar Hero 1 had 30 licensed tracks + 17 independent songs, Guitar Hero 2 (PS2) had 40 licensed, 24 independent. GH1, game only, was $40. GH2, game only, was $50. While I doubt 80's edition will have no-name unlockables like the previous 2, $40 for 30 licensed songs isn't terrible. And was the price even announced? All we got is less than 1/3 of the track list.

If Europe's Final Countdown is there, I won't be able to resist.

[quote name='javeryh']Why would anyone want obscure songs for this (or any) Guitar Hero game? Just give me the 50 greatest guitar/rock hits from the 80s and I'll be happy. Some suggestions:

Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
Photograph - Def Leppard
Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
18 and Life - Skid Row
Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford
Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Great White
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Back In Black - AC/DC
Hot For Teacher - Van Halen[/QUOTE]

Hells yes. Though I would want Whitesnake's "Still of the Night" and something more upbeat from Bon Jovi like "Bad Medicine". "Back in Black" is a must-have too.
I'd like to see some Dokken ("Into the Fire", "Just Got Lucky", "Breaking the Chains", etc) they had some really memorable riffs. How about an Yngwie Malmsteen track? Some Rainbow too... ah I am daydreaming now.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I'm sorry.

The 80's were shit for good music overall. Cock rock is some of the most horrid music on the planet, just ahead of country. The only band on a game like this that would matter is The Pixies. Thank God Nirvana put an end to that bullshit. The only band that may deserve a few props from that era is probably U2 and their earlier material.[/QUOTE]

:nottalking:

The following bands were big in the 80s:

Anthrax
Bathory
Candlemass
Celtic Frost
Dark Angel
Death
Destruction
Diamond Head
Exodus
Fates Warning
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
King Diamond
Kreator
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Metallica
Motorhead
Overkill
Possessed
Queensrÿche
Running Wild
Saxon
Sepultura
Slayer
Sodom
Testament
Van Halen
Venom
W.A.S.P.

All those bands are better than Nirvana, that's for damn sure. I'd also probably take Faster Pussycat or early Motley Crue over Nirvana any day.

[quote name='Apossum']Marquee Moon came out in 1977....[/quote]

Oh believe me, I know exactly when it came out.
I really just want to play some Television, screw the 80s! :D

Would definitely want to play "Safety Dance" as well, haha.

[quote name='evanft']:nottalking:

The following bands were big in the 80s:

Anthrax
Bathory
Candlemass
Celtic Frost
Dark Angel
Death
Destruction
Diamond Head
Exodus
Fates Warning
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
King Diamond
Kreator
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Metallica
Motorhead
Overkill
Possessed
Queensrÿche
Running Wild
Saxon
Sepultura
Slayer
Sodom
Testament
Van Halen
Venom
W.A.S.P.

All those bands are better than Nirvana, that's for damn sure. I'd also probably take Faster Pussycat or early Motley Crue over Nirvana any day.[/quote]
All shit.
Though Motorstorm is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.
Don't worry, Nirvana is shittier, so you're right about that.

80s had a lot of great stuff going on.
But pretty much only in England.

I want to play my Orange Juice.

[quote name='dallow']All shit.
Though Motorstorm is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.
Don't worry, Nirvana is shittier, so you're right about that.

80s had a lot of great stuff going on.
But pretty much only in England.

I want to play my Orange Juice.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you have awful taste in music. Now Manowar is totally gonna come over to your house and cover you with baby oil. Cause, like, ya know, it makes it easier to....rock. And die for metal. That, too.

Manowar7.jpg

[quote name='evanft']Wow, you have awful taste in music. Now Manowar is totally gonna come over to your house and cover you with baby oil. Cause, like, ya know, it makes it easier to....rock. And die for metal. That, too.

Manowar7.jpg
[/quote]

I guess I've just never been a man of big beefy men with thrashing guitars.
If you like it, more power to you. I enjoy a little homoeroticism in my music too.

Rock on!
You missed a band though, the all-mighty, SPINAL TAP!

[quote name='dallow']All shit.[/QUOTE]
Congrats on standing out as the most ignorant in a sea of "this band is better than that band" posts. However, the hilarious "the 80's sucked for music" post a few spots above yours comes damn close. There is no such thing as a bad decade for music.

The 80's were shit for good music overall. Cock rock is some of the most horrid music on the planet, just ahead of country. The only band on a game like this that would matter is The Pixies. Thank God Nirvana put an end to that bullshit. The only band that may deserve a few props from that era is probably U2 and their earlier material.[/quote]

I would love to see U2 in GH but I just don't see it happening. The licensing for U2 songs is probably astronomically expensive. But so much potential if they did get U2, Sunday Bloody Sunday would be awesome to play in GH.

I hope an alternative rock edition is in the works with alternative rock from late 80's through the mid 90's.

Some of you guys are fucking crazy. There was some good music in the '80s. Most of it a hell of a lot better than the shit they play now anyway.

What do you want? Another Guitar Hero with shitty music like "My Chemical Romance"!? :roll:

[quote name='yukine']Why do you want? Another Guitar Hero with shitty music like "My Chemical Romance"!? :roll:[/quote]

I hate MCR, but for some reason, I love to play that song.

Even though some of my favorite bands came out of the 80s, including my all-time number one love, The Smiths, it was the worst decade for music, over all if you look at the grand scheme of things.

Don't feel insecure about that statement though, it just means the "Good" in other decades outnumbers the "Good" from the 80s.
Still plenty of "Good" to go around for everyone.

Don't worry though, the 'naughts' (2000s) will take the crown by 2010.

Oh, and KaneRobot.... eh.
I'm a music snob, and have no problem with that.

[quote name='dallow']Even though some of my favorite bands came out of the 80s, including my all-time number one love, The Smiths, it was the worst decade for music, over all if you look at the grand scheme of things.

Don't feel insecure about that statement though, it just means the "Good" in other decades outnumbers the "Good" from the 80s.
Still plenty of "Good" to go around for everyone.

Don't worry though, the 'naughts' (2000s) will take the crown by 2010.

Oh, and KaneRobot.... eh.
I'm a music snob, and have no problem with that.[/QUOTE]

Nope, you still fail, sorry. Off to the ovens with you.

The 80's were shit for good music overall. Cock rock is some of the most horrid music on the planet, just ahead of country. The only band on a game like this that would matter is The Pixies. Thank God Nirvana put an end to that bullshit. The only band that may deserve a few props from that era is probably U2 and their earlier material.[/quote]

This is just crazy talk. Were you around in the 80s? - as in listening to music and not just "alive" because I don't see how anyone can say the 80s sucked if you really lived through it. Plus, U2 is shit compared to a ton of bands from the 80s even though their 80s stuff is their best.

Change the title of the thread , it makes it seem all of the songs have been revealed instead of just 7 .

U2 - I Will Follow [awesome continuous guitar throughout]

[quote name='javeryh']This is just crazy talk. Were you around in the 80s?[/QUOTE]

And how. The Clash, The Smiths, The Cure, Violent Femmes, The Police - many of them have existed since the '70s, but their material that matters happened mostly in the 80s.

Which, of course, means that their material should appear in this game. If we get "Stryper" but no Dead Milkmen, that would be a travesty.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, where's my Violent Femmes?
[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! Out the Window perhaps? Or American Music? Or Kiss Off. Anything besides Blister in the Sun. I'm not a music snob by any means, but I do get sick of some of the most popular, overplayed songs by bands that have lots of other great songs (many of which were also popular).

I'd be happy with Add It Up, personally.

On another note, "I Want Candy" played on my iPod today (dunno how it got there, but it did). That's going to be a tough song to play.

Cult of Personality by Living Colour would rock. I would prefer some songs off their second album ("Time's Up" would be pretty sweet) but any Living Colour love would be nice.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'd be happy with Add It Up, personally.

On another note, "I Want Candy" played on my iPod today (dunno how it got there, but it did). That's going to be a tough song to play.[/quote]

That's the one I want.

bread's done
Back