Guitar hero 80's Edition - Free Tee shirt with pre order

[quote name='cyrix`']no ones posted this yet but idk if this should go into free stuff or not.[/quote]

You are paying for something, so it isn't free

GAH! I thought this was going to retail at 40?!

I'm gonna buy it anyways regardless of price, but it's the principle of the thing...

You get a free wrist/sweatband from your preorder at Best Buy. Picked one up today.
I'll probably do the same thing i did with Guitar Hero II - wind up finding a better deal somewhere else and just return the preorder receipt for the $5 back.

[quote name='Zmonkay']GAH! I thought this was going to retail at 40?!

I'm gonna buy it anyways regardless of price, but it's the principle of the thing...[/quote]

Yeah, it really should have been 40 but I buying it anyway.

[quote name='JDUB X']Yeah, it really should have been 40 but I buying it anyway.[/QUOTE]
You and Zmonkay are the reason it's retailing for $50.

[quote name='pete5883']Some places have it listed for 40.[/quote]

It should still be too high at $40 given that there's less songs in this game.

Yea, I'd say I'm done feeding the Guitar Hero machine for awhile.......or at least until the next game ;-) hahaha. This game is an obvious milking of the series, and I can't help but feel disappointed by the underwhelming features of the 360 version of GH2. I was expecting a lot more out of the downloadable content (for example, expansion packs like "80's edition" should have been released on XBox Live, not as a $50 PS2 game).

[quote name='smellhasreturned']50 bucks !? wtf

normal ps2 games these days are coming out at 29.99

those bastahds[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I gives a damn how good this franchise is. You shouldn't rob your fanbase by putting a new coat of paint and 80's music into it. I was looking forward to this because I'm a huge 80's Pop/New Wave fan, but this is ridiculous. I can't wait to see what DLC costs on the marketplace if they go that direction for a 360 release.

[quote name='Nohbdy']It should still be too high at $40 given that there's less songs in this game.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the first game had about 30 songs -- same as this -- and it retailed without the guitar for $40. Guitar Hero II had 55 songs, but retailed for $50 by itself. So ... no, $40 would be the right price.

[quote name='62t']seeing the sales of the series they probably think they can get away selling it for $50[/quote]

which they will

Won't these songs just come out for 360 either as DLC or in the next version? I want to move to 360 for Guitar Hero, but I wasn't going to do with GH2 when I couldn't even get a wireless controller. That's supposed to be coming, so I'm thinking anything on PS2 will eventually be on 360 somehow.

So far, they have said that "Rocks the 80's" will not come out on 360 (DLC or retail). That may change, but they've said its exclusive to PS2.

It would make sense they would really keep some stuff exclusive to PS platform, but I'll believe it if it is still true in a year. I won't be selling my PS/2 guitars so I can wait.

I'm still regretting paying $30 for GH2, although I like what has been revealed of the tracklist so far. Even so, I'll probably save my money for GH3 on Wii.

This is the same mass-market rock of the first two guitar heroes, it's simply older, how can they justify $50 for 30 tracks? Guitar Hero 2 for X360 had 74 tracks. By these standards, GHII game-only for X360 should've cost $123.

If they were releasing more specific genre expansions, like indie, country, electrorock, etc, I could understand a higher price to make up for the smaller market... but seriously... I am, honest to god, never buying another game published by RedOctane because of this. Outside of EB/GS (glorified, pushy pawn shops) nothing in the gaming industry pisses me off more than a publisher who thinks they can demand what they want of the market.

From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

Why would you release something for $40 that will sell a shitload at $50?

They are out to make money, not appease a very small demographic who balk at paying an extra $10.

This thing will hit the charts running, I predict it'll be at #2 or #3 the month it's released, even though it only comes out halfway through. Top 5, definitely. $50 makes sense.

From a gamer perspective, it blows, but when do companies care about people like us, especially with a game with huge mainstream appeal?

[quote name='Roufuss']From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

Why would you release something for $40 that will sell a shitload at $50?

They are out to make money, not appease a very small demographic who balk at paying an extra $10.

This thing will hit the charts running, I predict it'll be at #2 or #3 the month it's released, even though it only comes out halfway through. Top 5, definitely. $50 makes sense.

From a gamer perspective, it blows, but when do companies care about people like us, especially with a game with huge mainstream appeal?[/quote]

Actually, you don't. We don't have the market research that they do, but it's obvious they're unsure how well this "genre" version will sell. When you realize that they have to pay royalties/licensing fees to the song owners, and the work that goes into creating 4 sets of fret charts for each song, it's understable as to why it costs $50. The game itself is a proven seller, but there's unpredictability in knowing whether all guitar hero fans are interested in playing 80's songs. Also, expansions tend to never sell as well as real sequels. (what was the last game expansion that sold really well?)

Take that fact and add in the fact that many people probably have moved on from Guitar Hero, and others are banking on getting next gen release versions of the Guitar Hero franchise to go along with their HDTVs that lag when they try to play standard def games (this is not including you Wii gamers)...and you have a smaller demand for the game. What's the law of supply and demand from a seller's viewpoint? Lower demand = higher price to recoup costs. Of course, the opposite is true in that lower prices will sell more, but from a seller's perspective, that's just gambling, and you never release a product for cheaper than it costs to produce unless you have another way to recoup the cost.

In other words, if $50 is too much for you, don't buy it now. You KNOW it will drop in price eventually. Why complain to other CAG's when no one can do anything about it?

They're selling it for $50 because of you guys who are complaining about the price then will go there on release day to snap it up.

I like how the devs even said that the game is "more of an expansion than a new game" yet are still charging full price for it.

I'll probably buy it anyways. *sigh*

[quote name='rokkon']Actually, you don't. We don't have the market research that they do, but it's obvious they're unsure how well this "genre" version will sell. When you realize that they have to pay royalties/licensing fees to the song owners, and the work that goes into creating 4 sets of fret charts for each song, it's understable as to why it costs $50. The game itself is a proven seller, but there's unpredictability in knowing whether all guitar hero fans are interested in playing 80's songs. Also, expansions tend to never sell as well as real sequels. (what was the last game expansion that sold really well?)

Take that fact and add in the fact that many people probably have moved on from Guitar Hero, and others are banking on getting next gen release versions of the Guitar Hero franchise to go along with their HDTVs that lag when they try to play standard def games (this is not including you Wii gamers)...and you have a smaller demand for the game. What's the law of supply and demand from a seller's viewpoint? Lower demand = higher price to recoup costs. Of course, the opposite is true in that lower prices will sell more, but from a seller's perspective, that's just gambling, and you never release a product for cheaper than it costs to produce unless you have another way to recoup the cost.

In other words, if $50 is too much for you, don't buy it now. You KNOW it will drop in price eventually. Why complain to other CAG's when no one can do anything about it?[/QUOTE]

Don't shit yourself. This game is cheap as hell for Red Octane. Fans create Frets On Fire tracks for free, it can't be that difficult. They could easily have novice programmers doing the work and getting paid $10-$15 an hour. They don't need software engineers.

The licensing and royalty fees for video games are a lot lower than RedOctane wants you to believe. Look at the immense amount of games with high-profile soundtracks (basically all sports and racing games, a ton of GTA clones)... Guitar Hero has to have very low development costs. They're charging insane prices just because they think they can. You can defend them as a business all you want - their job is to make money - but I'm a consumer, and as a consumer I refuse to give them my dollar. Hell, I'd rather give my $50 as a donation to the Frets on Fire folks.

[quote name='Koggit']...[/quote]
Yar, you can modify the game to have your own tracks and fret placings, it isn't hard at all (google). There are some limitations though. If you modify guitar hero one, let's say, you can't change the titles of the songs and you can only replace the number of songs available, no more. You'll need something to play burned games but it's a hella fun putting in your own songs with really, really, really crazy fret placements. I've seen it done, you can make your own customized 80's edition if you want or make something totally new, like all country music or opera;)

Even though the first one only had 30 songs, it also had many more extra songs that I doubt this version will have.

That being said, I would enjoy having a shirt that says indicates me as a Guitar Hero.

Ah to hell with it.

It's a brand new game, and it's likely people will buy it. A lot. What company in their right mind would mark the price down just because it's "Guitar Hero" ?

Any new PS2 game, even nowadays, is still $50 at launch.

[quote name='Koggit']Don't shit yourself. This game is cheap as hell for Red Octane. Fans create Frets On Fire tracks for free, it can't be that difficult. They could easily have novice programmers doing the work and getting paid $10-$15 an hour. They don't need software engineers.

The licensing and royalty fees for video games are a lot lower than RedOctane wants you to believe. Look at the immense amount of games with high-profile soundtracks (basically all sports and racing games, a ton of GTA clones)... Guitar Hero has to have very low development costs. They're charging insane prices just because they think they can. You can defend them as a business all you want - their job is to make money - but I'm a consumer, and as a consumer I refuse to give them my dollar. Hell, I'd rather give my $50 as a donation to the Frets on Fire folks.[/quote]

Right, because it's not like they created new art work and character designs for this game. Oh wait...
A lot more goes into this sort of thing than you think. Whether you believe it or not, doesn't matter to me, but you're very wrong in thinking that there are no costs to them to put out this game, especially when they're using master tracks for a lot of these songs. Also, they're not just using mp3s for these songs. Sure, it might not be difficult to do, but it can be tedious to do correctly, and if it's not done correctly, you'll be able to tell right away. You may be able to go play frets on fire for free, but those releases are a long way from being the same thing as an expansion release. Actually, I'd rather you go donate $50 to FoF, because then you'd be gone from this thread and any future GH thread...

[quote name='Koggit']Don't shit yourself. This game is cheap as hell for Red Octane. Fans create Frets On Fire tracks for free, it can't be that difficult. They could easily have novice programmers doing the work and getting paid $10-$15 an hour. They don't need software engineers.

The licensing and royalty fees for video games are a lot lower than RedOctane wants you to believe. Look at the immense amount of games with high-profile soundtracks (basically all sports and racing games, a ton of GTA clones)... Guitar Hero has to have very low development costs. They're charging insane prices just because they think they can. You can defend them as a business all you want - their job is to make money - but I'm a consumer, and as a consumer I refuse to give them my dollar. Hell, I'd rather give my $50 as a donation to the Frets on Fire folks.[/quote]

I agree that 50 bucks is a little steep, but you have abolsutley no idea of the words youre typing down, and youre fooling yourself if you think Frets on Fire is half the game GH is even with the songs.

[quote name='Koggit']Sorry, didn't realize you loved Red Octane's penis that far up your ass.[/quote]

Which is the exact reason I said 50 bucks is ridiculous. Its also the exact reason Im not buying it.

a quick one we have here folks!

It could be worse. I have a sick feeling that this set list is going to be broken up and sold as DLC for the 360 version...probably costing upwards of $100 when all is said and done.

I didn't intend this topic as a discussion for GH: Rock The 80's. Just a topic telling about the pre order deal. If you want to complain about how it should be $30, Please do it somewhere else.

[quote name='Slate']I didn't intend this topic as a discussion for GH: Rock The 80's. Just a topic telling about the pre order deal. If you want to complain about how it should be $30, Please do it somewhere else.[/quote]

This is a video game message board. The whole point of it is discussion!

[quote name='Rozz']This is a video game message board. The whole point of it is discussion![/quote]

I don't know about you, But when I create threads, I prefer them to stay on topic.

bread's done
Back