Guitar Hero DS - Yours for 50 bones!

I'll take a pass on that. Just would't be the same without a guitar controller. They did the best they could with still keeping it portable. But having a fake guitar is what really sucks you in as it simulates the feel of playing a guitar very well.

[quote name='lilboo']Feh.
I too am a little worn out with the Guitar Heroes and Rock Band. I think that fad is almost done.[/quote]

Well, apparently GH4 is slated for Holiday 2008, and the Aerosmith edition is coming out sooner. So, leave it to Activision to completely kill a franchise that had potential to maintain some appeal by just making too many versions and milking it for everything it has.

I'll stick by what I said. I have faith in Vicarious Visions, but I'm still very skeptical.

[quote name='Strell']Ahh good, only 4 buttons. Guitar Hero has finally reached Nickelback skill levels.[/quote]

:applause:

And GH will be like Nickelback in another way, they both have several games/CDs that are all the same thing yet idiots buy them up like chocolate.

[quote name='bigdaddy']:applause:

And GH will be like Nickelback in another way, they both have several games/CDs that are all the same thing yet idiots buy them up like chocolate.[/quote]

...God forbid people actually like guitar simulation.

[quote name='johnnypark']Well, apparently GH4 is slated for Holiday 2008, and the Aerosmith edition is coming out sooner. So, leave it to Activision to completely kill a franchise that had potential to maintain some appeal by just making too many versions and milking it for everything it has.

I'll stick by what I said. I have faith in Vicarious Visions, but I'm still very skeptical.[/QUOTE]

After those 2 games and the inevitable Rock Band 2.. I really think people will stop caring about these games. Maybe that's just me, though.

[quote name='briandadude']Interesting.

Could be entertaining, although I am sick of developers trying to incorporate the microphone into games and I am afraid it will cost $49.99. If this has online multiplayer it could be decent, otherwise probably mediocre.[/quote]

I hate being right all the time. :cool:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013ZEMUK

[quote name='lilboo']After those 2 games and the inevitable Rock Band 2.. I really think people will stop caring about these games. Maybe that's just me, though.[/QUOTE]

It may calm down among casual fans. But the die hards will always snap up more songs to play.

After licensing songs, making the hand grip, and the extra packaging involved... I'm not surprised it's $50.

Understandable? Yes. Still way too much? Yes.

Hmm... after thinking it was about right since $60->$100 and $30->$50, you're not actually getting a guitar replica. I do want the game though and prices drop quickly by at least $10-$20 all the time.

[quote name='Kendro']I have lost all interest. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

This game has dug it's own grave. I might check it out when it hits the $10 clearance rack.

[quote name='lilboo']After those 2 games and the inevitable Rock Band 2.. I really think people will stop caring about these games. Maybe that's just me, though.[/quote]

No.

What an earlier poster said is true. People who get Rock Band and play on easy and squeal about how super awesome it is to be able to play Fall Out Boy will stop caring. But there's a crowd that's here to stay.

The website is up now. Apparently you yell "rock out" into the mic to activate star power. I doubt anyone will be playing this in public

[quote name='scuba t']The website is up now. Apparently you yell "rock out" into the mic to activate star power. I doubt anyone will be playing this in public[/QUOTE]

...which completely defeats the point of a portable version of the game. Good job, Activision! :roll:

[quote name='62t']here is a vidoe of people playing it
http://www.videogameszone.de/?article_id=636582&page=2&mag=23[/QUOTE]

I like the OK Go track backing the video, but that's about it. Playing with the DS speakers would blow, and headphones probably wouldn't be much of an improvement. I might give this one a go when it hits

I'll give them credit for taking on an incredibly unlikely scenario and doing the best they can with it. For what it is, the concept they've developed is brilliant.
But this kind of game should not be shoehorned onto a portable. It's just not the right platform.

Oh god. It seems that the more I hear about this game, the less appealing it becomes to me. First the video (Bulky-looking add-on + uncomfortable-looking playing position + Phat DS = ???), now the price tag and ridiculous microphone usage. Pass for now, even if it is Vicarious Visions that's developing it.

[quote name='62t']i am guessing the add on wont work on fat DS?[/quote]

It wont work on fat one its on website i dont have link but i saw the article on either yahoo or IGN (its on both websites).

I can't believe how much Activision has done with the Guitar Hero franchise such that they make Electronic fucking Arts look like *godsends* to gamers with Rock Band and its pricing structure.

Man, do I enjoy the GH games, but at the same time Activision has made me just cringe at hearing the words "Guitar Hero" anymore.

It seems kinda cool, not $50 cool, but maybe $40 cool. For $35, I would buy it at launch. Otherwise, I'll wait for some kind of deal on it. That "guitar" controller thing cannot be worth $20....

[quote name='Rocko']You can't really complain about the mic since you can probably just blow into it.[/quote]

I recall an instance on Phantom Hourglass that required you to shout, and no amount of plain old air being blown into it would work. I'm sure they can program it's sensitivity, so maybe Nintendo was just being evil when they put that into the game. Still, though... not a fan of mandatory mic usage.

Though I will say it was clever to blow out torches (I think Zelda and Diddy Kong Racing did this) and to blow up balloons (ala Mario Kart).

[quote name='mykevermin']I can't believe how much Activision has done with the Guitar Hero franchise such that they make Electronic fucking Arts look like *godsends* to gamers with Rock Band and its pricing structure.

Man, do I enjoy the GH games, but at the same time Activision has made me just cringe at hearing the words "Guitar Hero" anymore.[/quote]

Yup.

I'd rather spend the fiddy on Rock Band downloads than buy a full game with new songs and little improvements like Activision is doing with the Guitar Hero series.

[quote name='johnnypark']I recall an instance on Phantom Hourglass that required you to shout, and no amount of plain old air being blown into it would work. I'm sure they can program it's sensitivity, so maybe Nintendo was just being evil when they put that into the game. Still, though... not a fan of mandatory mic usage.[/quote]

I never shouted once in that game. Blowing worked just fine for me.

[quote name='Rocko']...God forbid people actually like guitar simulation.[/quote]

...God forbid people like football simulation and buy up games like Madden year after year.

And yet the most criticisms are heard on this very website.

I kinda wanted it when I heard about it a few days ago, but a $50 pricetag warrants a [dunno if I want cat.jpg].

I've yet to really get into a Guitar Hero or Rock Band since they're all about the multiplayer, I've only played 3 times, and don't like half the songs.

This reminds me of all the guitar hero toys at Toysrus I saw yesterday...
(they were in the video game section, fwiw)

They were pocket sized and you could tell they sold like hotcakes as they were scrambled in their area even though they only provided parts of a few songs...for $10

If a person shells that out, they'll easily put more towards a full(er) fledged version

[quote name='help1']...God forbid people like football simulation and buy up games like Madden year after year.

And yet the most criticisms are heard on this very website.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

This would of been an interesting game had it been at worst $40. But at $50.... count me OUT.

And only 20 songs........ yeesh, you can really count me OUT with the price tag at $50.

Yeah, if I'm going to pay 50 for a DS GH, I want it to have more than twenty songs. Hell, EBA has 20 songs and while that works for EBA, it's also 20 bucks cheaper at retail.

Essentially, I assume the 20 bucks is for the shell and that, if they release more, it will be 30 for the song pack alone. In that case, I'll wait for more to come out to justify the shell cost.

I've yet to really get into a Guitar Hero or Rock Band since they're all about the multiplayer,

GH has multiplayer features but that's not the main focus. Rock Band is being touted as a multiplayer game.

Hell, EBA has 20 songs and while that works for EBA, it's also 20 bucks cheaper at retail.

Yeah, uh, you're forgetting EBA does not have unique sounds created for each song. It's just claps, cymbals, etc. The same ones you hear in every song.

GH isn't going to have as many songs as you all would like it to be. You're forgetting a single song is made up of EVERY guitar riff you strum in the games and that takes up huge space. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS ALREADY.

[quote name='johnnypark']I recall an instance on Phantom Hourglass that required you to shout, and no amount of plain old air being blown into it would work. I'm sure they can program it's sensitivity, so maybe Nintendo was just being evil when they put that into the game. Still, though... not a fan of mandatory mic usage.

Though I will say it was clever to blow out torches (I think Zelda and Diddy Kong Racing did this) and to blow up balloons (ala Mario Kart).[/quote]

Blowing worked for me in PH. :whistle2:k

[quote name='help1']...God forbid people like football simulation and buy up games like Madden year after year.

And yet the most criticisms are heard on this very website.[/quote]

Surely you're not serious.

A roster update with slight gameplay changes cannot be compared to a music game getting a whole new setlist.

I have to admit, this looks kind of fun. I really like the Guitar Hero games so I might have to pick this up when it drops in price a little. No way I'd play this in public, though.

[quote name='Wyatt']I have to admit, this looks kind of fun. I really like the Guitar Hero games so I might have to pick this up when it drops in price a little. No way I'd play this in public, though.[/quote]

Until of course, everyone plays it in public ;)

I really want to try this game out, but a $50 price point hurts my Visa. I definitely won't get this at launch. If it scores well, I'll pick it up down the road.

Besides, Gamestop is showing it coming out at the end of June, around the same time as Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. Likely, my money would be better invested in a console expansion.

[quote name='carro']seems too expensive[/quote]

And yet people go and buy the GH/Rock Band Package?

I say 35 for the game, 15 for the plug in controller seems reasonable.

bad positioning for the frets they should have been on the side a little more becuz it really isnt a guitar game like that, i think it should be more like this:

guitarherodsconcept1.jpg

i kno its a pretty rough mockup, bu i think this would make it "feel" more like a guitar game..... i wish it was something like this :cry:

but i guess their design is more portable, works on both the phat ds and the lite, and works for both lefties and righties...

[quote name='yukine']But... how do you look at the screen while playing?[/quote]

real Guitar Heroes don't need to see screens. they just know.

I'll wait for reviews, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I think it could be quite fun. I hope they have an alternate to the shouting into the mic for star power, though. Seems like pressing R (with your thumb) would work fine, and that they have an alternate for console guitars gives me hope that this will be in the game. It's too bad they didn't build a tilt sensor into the add-on.

i meant for the neck and body to be tilted more towards the ds, so that when it is being held people would be able to look down to see the screen... itds hard to explain because my ideas are in my brain, the mockup was merely to show how i wanted the guitar to attach/ be placed

[quote name='ikariwarriors']real Guitar Heroes don't need to see screens. they just know.[/quote]

Hahahaha. :lol:

Yeah, $50 is way too much. I'm starting to dislike the GH series in general... I and II were great, but after that (split between Activision and RedOctane), they started going downhill. I think I'll just stick with Rockband...

bread's done
Back