Guitar Hero III Wii vs PS2

As an obvious non-GH veteran, all I could say is to browse through that thread. Apparently they increased the window for hammer-ons and the like, but expert songs are harder than they were in GH2.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Is the 360 version as bad in these regards? Is is it just that the Wii port was half assed? What about the PS2 version?

Any one played those versions and can offer their input? Seems like there's less complaints in the 360 thread.

I'd been debating whether to just get it for the PS2, or to sell the PS2 and pick up the 360 version and/or wait for Rock Band.[/quote]
The PS2 port is completely half-assed man. It seriously looks worse than the first Guitar Hero and the timing plays different. I would tell you to wait and invest in Rock Band. You have to strum much more lightly on GH3 because the controls are extremely senstive compared to the Harmonix games. Even with the same controllers!

I could play fine if I tapped down the strum bar with one finger but if I was playing really fast, the recoil of the strum bar snapping up after you play it gets picked up by the game. I have to be extra senstive to be able to do all right on the game. Not fun at all.

Immediately right after I played GH3, I popped in GH to make sure I wasn't just losing my touch and I was able to nail everything perfectly on Hard.

[quote name='Zen Davis']The PS2 port is completely half-assed man. It seriously looks worse than the first Guitar Hero and the timing plays different. I would tell you to wait and invest in Rock Band. You have to strum much more lightly on GH3 because the controls are extremely senstive compared to the Harmonix games. Even with the same controllers!

I could play fine if I tapped down the strum bar with one finger but if I was playing really fast, the recoil of the strum bar snapping up after you play it gets picked up by the game. I have to be extra senstive to be able to do all right on the game. Not fun at all.

Immediately right after I played GH3, I popped in GH to make sure I wasn't just losing my touch and I was able to nail everything perfectly on Hard.[/QUOTE]

So you're having that problem too - i.e. really sensitive strum bar? That sucks if so. I used to pick like I would a real guitar, but now I have to use my thumb and try and be careful. It makes the game a lot less fun when I can't strike my usual rock and roll poses and use the whammy bar.

[quote name='Zen Davis']The PS2 port is completely half-assed man. It seriously looks worse than the first Guitar Hero and the timing plays different. I would tell you to wait and invest in Rock Band. You have to strum much more lightly on GH3 because the controls are extremely senstive compared to the Harmonix games. Even with the same controllers!
[/QUOTE]

Well, that's probably with the new controller, and if I went PS2 I'd be being the game only version and using my GHI and GHII controllers. But maybe not if you didn't have the same problem with GHI wth the same controller. Seems odd that it would be a software issue.

I'm leaning toward just skipping this gen of music games for now given my current backlog and the number of upcoming (and already out that I haven't bought yet) games that I'd rather play anyway.

But GHIII has such a good setlist and so many master tracks that I'm torn.

I'm fine w/ the graphics. The drummer animation is pretty hilarious, but it's not called Drum Hero...else they may have put more work into that particular bit. I'm in it for the game, not the graphics. Having a great time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, that's probably with the new controller, and if I went PS2 I'd be being the game only version and using my GHI and GHII controllers. But maybe not if you didn't have the same problem with GHI wth the same controller. Seems odd that it would be a software issue.

I'm leaning toward just skipping this gen of music games for now given my current backlog and the number of upcoming (and already out that I haven't bought yet) games that I'd rather play anyway.

But GHIII has such a good setlist and so many master tracks that I'm torn.[/quote]
I am using my Guitar Hero 1 controller.

[quote name='munch']So you're having that problem too - i.e. really sensitive strum bar? That sucks if so. I used to pick like I would a real guitar, but now I have to use my thumb and try and be careful. It makes the game a lot less fun when I can't strike my usual rock and roll poses and use the whammy bar.[/quote]

That is EXACTLY my problem with GH3. I have a feeling it's not the guitar but Neversoft's programming.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I am using my Guitar Hero 1 controller.

That is EXACTLY my problem with GH3. I have a feeling it's not the guitar but Neversoft's programming.[/quote]
So its happening with your GH1 controller?

[quote name='jlseal']So its happening with your GH1 controller?[/quote]

Yeah. I have no problems with GH1, GH2, and 80's.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I am using my Guitar Hero 1 controller.

That is EXACTLY my problem with GH3. I have a feeling it's not the guitar but Neversoft's programming.[/QUOTE]
Well, good to hear that the GH1 guitar works with GH3. Now I just need to know if the GH3 guitar works with GH1 and I might have to buy it for PS2...

[quote name='botticus']Anyone else have their vision affected by the scrolling notes? It's kind of amusing. Every time I sit down at my computer after a song, the text kinda dances in front of my eyes for a few seconds.[/quote]
Wow I am so glad you mentioned that! After an extremely long session last night I was reading something on the screen and asked my wife "is the screen moving or have I gone crazy" To which she promptly replied I was crazy :roll:

We need to set up a thread with friend codes like we did with Strikers (which I don't think I've played since a month after getting it - just me or anyone else do that?)

I also agree with botticus - I spend the whole time watching the notes to even care about the graphics (except the drummer - that just makes me laugh) but then again show me 1 Wii owner who bought it for graphics. We know the graphics suck - we don't care, we just want fun games.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of extra controllers. Gee this co op play sure is fun with the wiimote and guitar lol also lack of wii friendly faceplates (or am i just not finding them?)

[quote name='CombatCraig']The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of extra controllers. Gee this co op play sure is fun with the wiimote and guitar lol also lack of wii friendly faceplates (or am i just not finding them?)[/quote]Yes, desperately waiting for any word on how to get an extra controller. Hopefully, RO will release the standalone controller package soon.

[quote name='eraser813']I'm really enjoying this version of the game. As mentioned previously, the guitar feels very nice, good weight to it. Interestingly, when I inserted the disc in the Wii, I couldn't launch the game! There was no GH3 icon in the game channel. It just said "Wii". I had to turn on the 2nd wiimote to get the pointer on the screen and then I had to do a system update. After that... perfection![/QUOTE]

you don't need a second Wii-mote to utilize the Wii menu. just use the analog stick on the guitar itself to move the hand around to select GHIII, or anything in the Wii menu for that matter. it's a bit cumbersome...but it works.

[quote name='CombatCraig']I also agree with botticus - I spend the whole time watching the notes to even care about the graphics (except the drummer - that just makes me laugh) but then again show me 1 Wii owner who bought it for graphics. We know the graphics suck - we don't care, we just want fun games.[/quote]
Hey "Combat" Craig. Instead of trying to patronize people, try reading what they write.

The graphics for Guitar Hero 3 are noticeably worse than the original Guitar Hero (which came out in 2005). If you're good enough to keep track of the notes, you can start looking around the rest of the screen and it becomes distracting. Go back and read what I worte.

And by the way, don't try being a poster boy for the Wii by exclaiming "all Wii graphics suck, but it's the gameplay that counts". I think a little game called Super Mario Galaxy would like to have a talk with you.

It might even make you its bitch.

SIDENOTE: This nothing against botticus or anyone else who doesn't notice the difference in graphics, but that post just read like it was written by a smarmy douchebag.

I don't really think the graphics are bad. e.g. the character models are good, except for the singer. The animations are what's horrendous.

[quote name='munch']I'm playing on Medium right now and it's really easy, so I can see all of it. If you haven't taken the time to look at the graphics you should. They're disgusting. I wonder what they're like for the other consoles. I don't remember the old PS2 versions being this bad.[/QUOTE]

Haha... seeing that I have your copy of Guitar Hero II now Munch, I can safely say that the graphics are definitely not that bad on the PS2. In fact, I think the PS2 Version of GHII is graphically superior.

I think everyone should note that those of us who talk about the graphics are not poo pooing the game. I love the game and very happy with it. I just don't think game developers should half ass graphics when porting stuf to the Wii.

When Harmonix was working on Guitar Hero II, they were specifically developing it for the PS2. As a result, you have pretty good graphics and animations because they were working with what they have. Like someone previously mentioned, I think Neversoft specifically developed this for the 360/Ps3 and then ported it outward to the PS2 and Wii. As a result, you get graphics that aren't as sharp and animations that look worse than those possums from that Possum Park in a Goofy Movie.

People get the perception that Wii has shitty graphics and I think that's just because a lot of developers don't take the time to utilize the Wii's power. As mentioned, take a look at games coming out like Super Mario Galaxy, SSB:B, RE: UC, and others. I know the Wii isn't capable of running Gears of War or Assassin's Creed but I know it's definitely powerful enough to have better animations and graphics than the ones in Guitar Hero III.

So for the final point, does it matter? No. Neversoft is lucky that Guitar Hero III is a game that is strongly based in gameplay. Do the graphics provide hilarity? Yes. Nothing beats sitting around with your friends and trying to figure out what animal the male singer looks like or what drugs the drummer is taking. But I do certainly think that next time Neversoft and other developers should try to invest more time working on porting stuff over, the Wii is definitely more capable of presenting graphics than this.

[quote name='Zeeman']Nothing beats sitting around with your friends and trying to figure out what animal the male singer looks like or what drugs the drummer is taking.[/quote]So in other words, just like watching a real band, then? ;)

[quote name='Zen Davis']
The graphics for Guitar Hero 3 are noticeably worse than the original Guitar Hero (which came out in 2005). If you're good enough to keep track of the notes, you can start looking around the rest of the screen and it becomes distracting.[/quote]

And by the way, don't try being a poster boy for the Wii by exclaiming "all Wii graphics suck, but it's the gameplay that counts". I think a little game called Super Mario Galaxy would like to have a talk with you.

It might even make you its bitch.

IDENOTE: This nothing against botticus or anyone else who doesn't notice the difference in graphics, but that post just read like it was written by a smarmy douchebag.

Fighting smarmy douchebaggery with smarmy douchebaggery. Oh the irony. :D

I really hope the DLC gets worked out for the Wii. I was listening to Foo Fighters on the radio the other day wishing I could play some of their songs on GHIII.

BTW, I decided to check out the GHIII demo on the 360 at BB tonight (penny guide run...again). The graphics and character models were vastly superior, of course. Then I decided to play a track...and the experience was exactly the same. I only noticed the difference when I wasn't playing.

Of course, if I could play w/o watching the colored buttons scrolling down the screen like some of you... Maybe one of these days...after lots of practice.

[quote name='Foo228']Don't know if its just me, but the PS2 version of GHIII has some horrible loading...[/quote]

That's why I put all compatible games on HDLoader. It made a huge difference in GH1 and I'm sure it does with GH3 as well. I've only put the disc in my PS2 once, and that was to install it to HDLoader.

[quote name='jlseal']They've never said that there won't be DLC. So yeah, Ninty needs to get on the ball.[/quote]They never guaranteed it, either. Just that they're trying to work out DLC with Nintendo. So hopefully, it'll pan out.

Anyone seen official face plates for the Wii controller for sale yet? The GH site shows three different designs. Wouldn't mind getting some after I get a second guitar.

[quote name='lebowsky']That's why I put all compatible games on HDLoader. It made a huge difference in GH1 and I'm sure it does with GH3 as well. I've only put the disc in my PS2 once, and that was to install it to HDLoader.[/quote]

hd loader...ill look into that, thanks

[quote name='lebowsky']That's why I put all compatible games on HDLoader. It made a huge difference in GH1 and I'm sure it does with GH3 as well. I've only put the disc in my PS2 once, and that was to install it to HDLoader.[/quote]
Don't burn the PS2 laser out. Google 'Winhiip".

[quote name='Foo228']hd loader...ill look into that, thanks[/quote]

Same to you. Google 'Winhiip'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Loader

[quote name='lebowsky']Yeah, I know about WinHIIP, but I don't have a USB enclosure so swapping the hard drive in and out of my PC would be a pain. It is definitely a cool app though.[/quote]

From what I understand using WinHiip saves the PS2 laser and is generally a lot faster. Also applying ppf and setting modes is generally easier as well.

I'm planning on buying this. Will I need batteries for the guitar or does it use the remote to power it? If I need batteries; which kind?

you plug the remote into the guitar, like the nunchuk or classic controller. It doesn't require any extra batteries.

I can say that I'm officially unhappy about the DLC, or lack thereof.

I was fully prepared for the fact that there was going to be DLC for the 360 and the PS3, and that the PS2 and Wii would miss out. What I didn't know however, was that there would be DLC packs released DAYS after the game came out, containing songs that were already announced.

Example, 'She Builds Quick Machines' is in a DLC pack... yet, the song was announced to the public a while back AND, here's what gets me, is used in the commercials.

Now, doesn't that just seem like a bit of a slap in the face to anyone else? Two versions are not only crippled, but so soon and lacking things that were assumedly going to be 'on-disc'?

This is exactly what I was worried about with DLC... put out some DLC a month of two after the game's release? That's a little bit better, but less than a WEEK? Why wasn't THAT content placed on the game disc itself?

Guitar Hero is a series that needs to be careful with it's DLC. If they want the series to continue, the DLC, and this is important, really shouldn't be that good. In my view, the game itself should contain announced material, and the DLC should be surprises, and perhaps songs that aren't as in-demand. I remember reading about how either Rock Band or GH3 were negotating with Zeppelin. A Zeppelin DLC pack? It's not that far-fetched, but it's a bullshit idea.

Releasing extra songs as DLC less a week after you've already paid full price for the game is nickel-and-diming at it's finest, especially since it's at the expense of crippling two other versions. If those can be released as DLC that soon, they could've been on the disc, period. Sure, the Wii and PS2 cost less, but really, the PS3 and 360 versions are the same as those crippled versions, but cost more anyway, let alone with the addition of DLC.

So, yeah, I apologize for the long rant, but I honestly think this is some bullshit. I mean, seriously, Activision, we're not stupid. If nothing else, don't put DLC songs in the damn commercials. :roll:

bread's done
Back