Guitar Hero Smash Hits Pre-order incentives

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Note: some of these may not be active yet. Just got the press release today.

GameStop
Receive a pair of exclusive Guitar Hero Smash Hits branded drumsticks

Best Buy
Get a $10 coupon for any Guitar Hero World Tour product

Amazon.com

1st offer: Receive $5 off when you enter this code “HEROHITS”, when you pre-order online
2nd offer: Get a $5 gift card for MP3 downloads

Game Crazy
Receive an exclusive Guitar Hero Smash Hits cheat code

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting an error message on Amazon with the code, has it not been implemented yet or something? Also, it may be worth mentioning the free release date delivery on Amazon.

With the ECA discount it's really no contest. I mean that code + ECA is $11 off not to mention the tax most would have to pay at Gamestop you could buy much nicer drumsticks for that.

I really hope Amazon drops the price to their normal "a bit below MSRP" and still has the coupon working, with ECA + coupon + possibly gold box it should be possible to get this for around $45...

[quote name='dim2192']This game will sell poorly thus resulting in quick price drops[/QUOTE]

Can you give me some lottery numbers too while you are looking in your crystal ball?

For me, I hardly ever buy games on day one. I'm almost sure I will get this within the first week of coming out.

[quote name='dim2192']This game will sell poorly thus resulting in quick price drops[/QUOTE]

Everyone said that about Rocks The 80s as well and it took FOREVER to go cheap. I'm not sure it'll be that bad but I don't think it'll sell THAT horribly.

(Either that, or I guess it could end up as Guitar Hero: Aerosmith II)

[quote name='Justin42']Everyone said that about Rocks The 80s as well and it took FOREVER to go cheap. I'm not sure it'll be that bad but I don't think it'll sell THAT horribly.

(Either that, or I guess it could end up as Guitar Hero: Aerosmith II)[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Rock the 80s the PS2 only game? This one is multiplatform and if stores over-order... it will drop fast. I imagine given that the product still moves they will over order or use this game to help sell you one of the 50 other GH games coming out this fall.

I think it's gonna do fairly well, at least from my point of view. I mean it's got some of the best songs from the series as masters and full band, I can't wait to try to sing The Trooper. As is it I already have plans with a few co-workers to come over and play the weekend it comes out...Besides, you know how the casual fans of the series are, they don't know anything about it and they're gonna buy just because its "hot".

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Wasn't Rock the 80s the PS2 only game? This one is multiplatform and if stores over-order... it will drop fast. I imagine given that the product still moves they will over order or use this game to help sell you one of the 50 other GH games coming out this fall.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, This game then the Beatles rock band. I haven't heard about the sales of the Metallica game. I feel different about this one though, I think it will appeal to a larger audience than Aerosmith, Metallica, rock the 80's or the Beatles. All this is coming from a guy who saw the GHWT bundle for sale at a Big Lots lol.

[quote name='shoe478']Yeah, This game then the Beatles rock band. I haven't heard about the sales of the Metallica game. I feel different about this one though, I think it will appeal to a larger audience than Aerosmith, Metallica, rock the 80's or the Beatles. All this is coming from a guy who saw the GHWT bundle for sale at a Big Lots lol.[/QUOTE]

I saw Guitar Hero Metallica at Target yesterday for $38 I believe. That # might be a little off, but it's on sale.

Guitar Hero 80's was in an entirely different time. This game is going to get a quick price drop. Activision is flooding the market with games. We just had GHWT and Metallica. Now we have Smash hits. GH 5 is around the corner. Band Hero and DJ Hero will be here before you know it. This will drop in price just like the previous 2. People still are going to buy it up at release, just don't expect it to stay at full price for long. Activision is going to kill this genre. BTW they definitely cheated us on the songs.

[quote name='CheapyD']Note: some of these may not be active yet. Just got the press release today.

GameStop
Receive a pair of exclusive Guitar Hero Smash Hits branded drumsticks

Best Buy
Get a $10 coupon for any Guitar Hero World Tour product

Amazon.com

1st offer: Receive $5 off when you enter this code “HEROHITS”, when you pre-order online
smile.gif

2nd offer: Get a $5 gift card for MP3 downloads

Game Crazy
Receive an exclusive Guitar Hero Smash Hits cheat code[/QUOTE]

Amazon is the only company i trust here...

Horrible deals. And do the math on what they are charging for this collection. They are only giving us 48 songs. They announced 85 songs for Guitar Hero 5 today. 48 songs for $60 is a rip-off when compared to that no matter if you get a pair of drumsticks or an exclusive cheat code or not. They have enough songs from the four games to put 85 on the disc and obviously they have enough space to do at least 85 songs, not to mention that they are re-hashed songs that most of us have at least played guitar on. I swear Activision is ruining this franchise with a new game every 3 months. My other guess is that Guitar Hero Van Halen will arrive just in time for X-Mas since they are releasing GH5 on 9/1 instead of the normal late October/early November timeframe. Anyway, i'm ranting now, but I'll wait until this game goes to $34.99 which to me is about the price the game should have released for, or they could have released it at that price if you provided proof that you own at least 2 of the previous games and/or did some type of rebate thing, or a coupon towards Guitar Hero 5 or off the purchase of Guitar Hero: Metallica.

I thought EA was an evil company, now I'm starting to see that this new union
with Blizzard was formed in Hades.

I really am a little disappointed in what Activision has been doing with this franchise lately. And yeah, I know they are pricing this game like it's DLC and if it was it would cost $96 so I should stop my complaining, but with DLC, I can pick and choose, although I probably would buy most of these songs, it is a rather good setlist.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']Horrible deal[/QUOTE]
With the coupon and ECA it comes for $49 which equals out to about $1.02 each song. By that math I just need to find 24 songs I'd pay $2 for, or a combo of songs I'd pay $2 and songs I'd pay $1.

I found a total of $51
$2 (x12 = 40)
Blue Öyster Cult - "Godzilla"
Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"
Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"
Helmet - "Unsung (Live)"
Incubus - "Stellar"
Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark At The Moon"
Queen - "Killer Queen"
Queens Of The Stone Age - "No One Knows"
Heart - "Barracuda"
Alice In Chains - "Them Bones"
Avenged Sevenfold - "Beast And The Harlot"
Danzig - "Mother"
Priestess - "Lay Down"
Iron Maiden - "The Trooper"
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird"
Rage Against The Machine - "Killing In The Name"
Reverend Horton Heat - "Psychobilly Freakout"
Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin' On A Hole"
Jane's Addiction - "Stop!"

$1 (x11 = 11)
Judas Priest - "Electric Eye" (Would be $2 but I already have it on RB, but I'd pay $1 for Expert+ if it has it)
Rush - "YYZ" (See above)
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock N' Roll"
White Zombie - "Thunder Kiss '65"
Mötley Crüe- "Shout At The Devil"
Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box"
Wolfmother - "Woman"
DragonForce - "Through The Fire And Flames"
Kiss - "Rock And Roll All Nite"
Living Colour - "Cult Of Personality"
Pat Benatar - "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"

Already have in RB but nice to have
Boston - "More Than A Feeling"
Foo Fighters - "Monkey Wrench"
Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son"
The Police - "Message In A Bottle"

And just because something isn't listed it doesn't mean I won't enjoy playing it, this was just to assess the value of the game.
Granted this may not be the case for all. Also the fact that it will be the Metallica engine as opposed to the WT engine makes it worth it IMO.

hmm red octane gives a free t-shirt if you need one of the new guitars with the game. i dont have one of those guitars yet...is it worth it?

[quote name='kipz']Granted this may not be the case for all. Also the fact that it will be the Metallica engine as opposed to the WT engine makes it worth it IMO.[/QUOTE]
This is the main reason I'll actually give this a chance. While GH:M used the WT engine, there were actual improvements on the design of the game (better note charts, new star-based career progression, more mo-cap animations, different starpower layout, etc.) which made the game a less of a chore to play like WT.

While Smash Hits will be GH:M with older songs and without the Metallica extras, at least it's worth a rent IMO.

So can i pre-order this in-store at Best Buy and still get the $10 coupon on the spot? Im wanting this game and the drum set. So i could use the $10 coupon after preordering instore? Then walk over and pickup the drums, pay for them and get them cheaper?

I'm not an employee and can answer your question.
No Fn way.
A pre-order is not a purchase, they want your full payment.
A devious fellow might preorder, use the $10 then decide they don't actually want the game.
Maybe if you paid for the game upfront, but I think, to be safe, they just wait until the game is sold and out the door before giving and gift cards/coupons.
What they will probably do, ring the game up as $49 and add a $10 gift card to keep those CAGS from trying to buying it, use the $10 then return it and buy it some place cheaper.

BTW, back to topic, I got an email this morning from Best Buy Gamers Club, they are offering a free GH World Tour Drum Cover if you buy it from them. Not sure what that is.
They don't show a picture.
I'm figuring it is just a gas grill cover for the entire drum set or a faux bass drum cover.

It's criminal that they are trying to sell this for $60. This game contains NO new content. So you can now play the drums to Bark at the Moon - who cares. These songs have all been released before people! You have already paid for them! They should be free. Don't support this crap.

Actually I havent because I have a Wii, and I'm going to buy Smash Hits because GH1, 2, 80's werent made for it. and $50 for $45+ songs is roughly a $1.00 a song where as DLC is $2.00. So the better deal is buying the game.

[quote name='mj1984']It's criminal that they are trying to sell this for $60. This game contains NO new content. So you can now play the drums to Bark at the Moon - who cares. These songs have all been released before people! You have already paid for them! They should be free. Don't support this crap.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't mind getting this for the songs finally being master tracks, plus other instruments, improved charts, and improved engine (from Metallica).

I think on GH2, there were probably 3 or 4 master tracks out of 70 or so songs (I think).

My 2 biggest beefs that I have mentioned before...

Activision should not even be allowed to release the game without at least 70+ songs for a $60 game.
Help me with the math, how come GHWT is $70, comes with 70+ songs and is a new engine (from 3).
So you can take away 30 songs and charge the same price?
Please tell me how that works, I need to get into that business.

Making GHWT DLC worthless by not letting you import it.

If they let you bring in all the GHWT songs and DLC, this would be a day one purchase for me.

It seemed like Activision went out of their way to stop that from happening.

Im willing to spend the $50 and purchase the game. I was just wondering if I could go in now, pay for it in full. Then get the $10 WT coupon and purchase the drums after i bought the game. So I could save $10 on the drums now cause I intend to buy them tomorrow.

[quote name='Zimmy']Activision should not even be allowed to release the game without at least 70+ songs for a $60 game.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this. They could have added a few more tracks from the previous Guitar Hero games. Not sure what they are thinking by adding so little songs, maybe they will release others as DLC in a few weeks. At the rate of one song a week it will take forever. GH needs to start releasing more track packs like Rockband does and allow the songs to be imported so one disc will run all the songs.

bread's done
Back