Guitar Hero: WT or Rock Band?

tsmvengy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm trying to decide between Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band for the Wii. I already have Guitar Hero III for the Wii (only one guitar though).

I am tempted to get Rock Band for three reasons: 1. the SE bundle is $110 at Best Buy, 2. I like the song list of both RB1&2 better than GH:WT, and 3. if this thing ever comes out I can use my existing guitar too

Also I like the RB charts better - Guitar Hero charts seem to just tack on shit that isn't there at the higher levels.

I would plan on buying Rock Band 2 (game only or single guitar bundle) when it comes out.

So do any of you have Rock Band for the Wii? Good buy at $110?

[quote name='tsmvengy']I'm trying to decide between Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band for the Wii. I already have Guitar Hero III for the Wii (only one guitar though).

I am tempted to get Rock Band for three reasons: 1. the SE bundle is $110 at Best Buy, 2. I like the song list of both RB1&2 better than GH:WT, and 3. if this thing ever comes out I can use my existing guitar too

Also I like the RB charts better - Guitar Hero charts seem to just tack on shit that isn't there at the higher levels.

I would plan on buying Rock Band 2 (game only or single guitar bundle) when it comes out.

So do any of you have Rock Band for the Wii? Good buy at $110?[/quote]

Rock Band 1 for Wii is nothing more than a PS2 port. It has no DLC, no online, and no band custom creation.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is Rock Band 2 going to have DLC, online and band customization? Hopefully they were forced to put that in given GH:WT.[/quote]

True, but I am disappointed that for the DLC you have to manually move the songs back and forth from your SD card on Rock Band while Guitar Hero does it for you.

[quote name='ProfWho']True, but I am disappointed that for the DLC you have to manually move the songs back and forth from your SD card on Rock Band while Guitar Hero does it for you.[/QUOTE]

Ugh that is annoying.

I know RB1 on wii is just a PS2 port, but I would get it firstly because it's always good to have more songs to play, and secondly if you buy that bundle ($110) and RB2 when it comes out ($50) you're getting basically the same package for $160 instead of $190, and you get the extra game.

[quote name='tsmvengy']Ugh that is annoying.

I know RB1 on wii is just a PS2 port, but I would get it firstly because it's always good to have more songs to play, and secondly if you buy that bundle ($110) and RB2 when it comes out ($50) you're getting basically the same package for $160 instead of $190, and you get the extra game.[/quote]

I see your point, but personally I appreciate the love VV is showing the Wii. That said, I would get Rock Band and Guitar Hero on another system first since the instruments are not compatible on the Wii.

Are we sure the RB instruments from other platforms aren't compatible? I'd really like to know for certain, as I have the PS2 instruments and given that they are USB, I'm not sure I see why they should be incompatible. Yeah, the buttons are different (meaning X, Triangle, etc.), but those aren't even necessary - they are just conveniences. The games can be controlled without those buttons. Plus they might work anyway. Has anyone actually tried it? If I could just pick up RB2 game-only that would save me a fair bit of money, but I hate to do that and then find out that they really aren't compatible.

[quote name='ProfWho']I see your point, but personally I appreciate the love VV is showing the Wii. That said, I would get Rock Band and Guitar Hero on another system first since the instruments are not compatible on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it makes me wish I had a 360 so I could just get one set and be done with it. Can't really justify $200+ just for that unfortunately.

Ok, I have GH3 and RB and am thinking about buying GH:WT but I am tight on money and am trying to decide whether to buy the guitar bundle now and get drums and a mic later or just wait and buy the complete band kit later. My questions are:

A lot of people say the instruments between GH and RB are not compatible but I just read this off a yahoo main page article: "First, if you already own the Rock Band 1 kit, the entire kit is compatible with Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour (yes, even the drums)" Yes, or no, what's the deal and why do I see so much conflicting information about this? Is it because they are compatible for other platforms but not the Wii? That was my guess.

Second question: Where would I find a GH:WT drum set or mic for the Wii? I haven't looked for a mic but I have for a drum set and haven't seen one online or in B&M stores anywhere.

Microphones are all the same. If you have RB you can use that mic. And the drums aren't sold separately yet, and probably won't be until after the holidays.

GH3 guitars and probably the World Tour guitar will be compatible with Rock Band 2; with the thing linked in the OP, they should also work in RB1. Rock Band instruments on Wii do not work in Guitar Hero. Only Guitar Hero guitars in Rock Band (status of drums is unknown at this point, though I'd say it's unlikely).

For the true Way of the CAG, pick up the World Tour guitar bundle at Target on Black Friday for $60, then wait for the drums to be sold separately, probably for $60. Way less than buying the band bundle. And that way you can still buy the RB2 disc and have a full set of instruments for both.

Thank you. That's probably what I will do. I saw the Target ad for BF for the guitar bundle and also saw that Walmart will PM so I might just go to Walmart in the hopes others won't think to do that.

[quote name='tsmvengy']Actually, according to Joystiq's list and the official chart, none of the instruments are compatible between games. I believe the mics are though.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, but I suppose it's not surprising since the GH instruments are all Wii remote based, while the RB instruments are all USB based. I think I'll hold out for RB2, even if the DLC support is weaker.

I know the hardware was updated between RB1 and RB2 for other consoles, but is that also going to be the case with the release of RB2 for the Wii? I haven't seen any details related to the hardware, and I'm thinking I may just pick up the RB1 set for $100 in the meantime if there aren't going to be any big changes.

Just yesterday, IGN confirmed that all GH:III and GH:WT instruments (guitar, drums, mic) will work in RB2.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/937/937092p1.html

So it becomes a no brainer - if you want to play both games, you should get the GH instruments.
I'll probably grab the GH:WT bundle, and then eventually get the RB2 game only. I prefer the GH:WT drums, with their cymbals.

[quote name='tsmvengy']Actually, according to Joystiq's list and the official chart, none of the instruments are compatible between games. I believe the mics are though.[/quote]
The mics should be fine based on everything I've read. I've been using my GHIII guitar for GH: WT with no problems and I plan on getting Rock Band 2 (game only) to use with my GH III guitar as well.

[quote name='techstar25']Just yesterday, IGN confirmed that all GH:III and GH:WT instruments (guitar, drums, mic) will work in RB2.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/937/937092p1.html

So it becomes a no brainer - if you want to play both games, you should get the GH instruments.
I'll probably grab the GH:WT bundle, and then eventually get the RB2 game only. I prefer the GH:WT drums, with their cymbals.[/quote]

Badass; if they're right then I'll be getting the GHWT bundle and then just pick up RB2... I already have 2 GH guitars but seeing as I got the one for $10 I'm not that disappointed to have another.

Buy GH-WT and the whole set, then buy Rock Band 2 JUST THE GAME. It is compatible, don't worry. Trust me, the soundtrack is MUCH better.

I wonder why there hasn't been an update on the compatibility chart for GH and RB guitars? I'd like to get for my brother-in-law an extra guitar that would work both with RB1 and GH:WT.

Btw, for RB1 for the Wii - when you're using both guitars for the game, do you have to have a separate dongle for both guitars? If anyone knows, please post here. Thanks.

bread's done
Back