Guitar Lessons

PsovazHunter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Any good deals out there for guitar lessons on DVD, or CD? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. I've had my guitar for a month now, just need lessons on DVD or CD. Once again, ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. Thank you.

EDIT: Even online lessons will suffice, if there's nothing else you can find. Thanks again.

I used emedia beginner guitar, its pretty decent software...i'm gonna check out the bass one when i get my bass

Or you could learn how to read tablature and how to form chords (Major, Minor, and Barre A-G). Then start up with some simple stuff that you can replay a recording of and practice a bit of the song at a time. The first riff I learned was from Ozzy's "Crazy Train", played just one string (and note) at a time. Start out slowly, making sure to hit each note cleanly, then increase your speed.

[quote name='Minger']I used emedia beginner guitar, its pretty decent software...i'm gonna check out the bass one when i get my bass[/quote]

Whoa, that is fucking wierd. My best friend recieved lessons from a guy named Chris Minger. Just thought I'd add that.

There are decent books out there too. That's what I primarily used b/c it sucks to keep reversing the CD as you're trying your damndest to learn how to play something for the first time. With the book, you read about it and then lay it out in front of you.

What are you interested in learning anyway? Music theory so you really understand what you're doing, or do you just want to "jam" and play songs from the radio and Stairway and stuff like that? A particular genre of music you're interested in?

There are plenty of great DVDs and websites out there for guitar lessons. I mostly used websites to teach myself the chord shapes. I learned pretty much everything else thanks to some VERY patient friends.

www.ultimate-guitar.com/ has some okay beginner lessons and such. I learned to read tabs and a few basic chords from there. But your best bet would to just buy a book, real helpful. You can get one for less than $20. Then once you get the hang of it, ultimate guitar also has tabs for most songs.

[quote name='The-Bavis']Music theory so you really understand what you're doing, or do you just want to "jam" and play songs from the radio and Stairway and stuff like that? A particular genre of music you're interested in?[/quote]

I'd rather learn how to "jam" first, then learn music theory so I can join a band, and such. But, I like hard rock, heavy metal, etc.

[quote name='PsovazHunter'][quote name='The-Bavis']Music theory so you really understand what you're doing, or do you just want to "jam" and play songs from the radio and Stairway and stuff like that? A particular genre of music you're interested in?[/quote]

I'd rather learn how to "jam" first, then learn music theory so I can join a band, and such. But, I like hard rock, heavy metal, etc.[/quote]

Well, I only use(d) books. I'm sure the websites mentioned are pretty decent too. It would be nice to seperate your music from your time in front of the computer. Don't we sit in front of this thing enough?

If you want to try books, I'd check out used book stores. Tons of people have tried to learn guitar with books and given up. I don't have a specific book to recommend off hand, but you want something that will teach you to read tablature and have some simple versions of songs you know/have so you can play along. Probably want one that lists most of the common chords so you can just practice those and changing between them. If you can't find anything else, even cheesy books like "Learn to Play Guitar in 30 Minutes" can have value in getting you started. I checked a couple of those out of the library, and they helped me learn some of the chords and even some picking techniques that I never used again, but they got my fingers in shape. They also helped me know what I was and wasn't looking for in books that I might buy.

You'll want to avoid precision tab that you'll find in most guitar magazines, b/c they try to capture every nuance that happened while the song was being recorded. These are just frustrating for most beginners.

Learn a few songs or cool riffs that you like, perfect them, and play around a lot. Listen more carefully to music. Try to have fun.

Some people can pick it up easily, some have to practice a lot. Don't get discouraged if you aren't a natural.

As mentioned above, Olga is a great online guitar resource....

For some cool references check out www.guitargeek as well - it basically shows you some of your favorite artists rigs, so you have some idea what they used to get "that sound". They also have reviews and a pretty cool forum too.

Also you might want to check out www.harmonycentral. Another great resource for musicians.

Are there any like...straight forward sites just based on lessons? Like "Lesson 1: Blah blah" "Lesson 2: Bling Bling", etc.? Sites with lessons sent by users don't really help much, since I don't know what to study first, and second, etc.

bread's done
Back