Guitars

Vampire Hunter D

CAGiversary!
Ok im interested in getting a guitar but im pretty much going into it knowing absolutly nothing. Really i guess just a standard guiter that you plug in. Or is there some type of website i can get an FAQ on buying one? Im kind of tired now but ill come back to this thread. Oh but before i go what exactally is the difference between like a 300$ guitar and a 3000$ one that looks the same on the outside?

I lied im not all that tired. Im searching for myself some sites on buying a first guitar. I guess i really just need help on pricing. I read that alot of people either start with an Electric or Acoustic. Im interested in an Electric. Im only 15 so itll be my parents buying it and i dont think theyll like one thats thousands of dallors. Heres a thing i read.

A common question for first time guitar buyers is “should I buy an acoustic or an electric guitar?” Obviously the answer has a lot to do with the individual asking. For an older player, the answer could be based on what type of music you like. If you are a James Taylor fan, you will probably want to play acoustic pop, and a steel string acoustic would be the obvious choice. Fans of Grunge, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative, etc. will definitely want an electric. What about those parents buying a first guitar for their son or daughter? Perhaps they don’t have a set preference. Let’s see what each type of guitar has to offer.

Electric Guitars
An electric guitar is a great choice for the beginning guitarist. They typically have lower action (how high the strings sit above the neck) and lighter gauge strings than acoustic guitars. This makes them easier to play and causes less pain to tender young fingers. This factor alone could keep new players from getting discouraged. Lately, guitar manufacturers has really gotten their act together, and you can consistently get good quality electric guitars at very inexpensive prices. Another advantage to the electric guitar is the wide variety of tones and sounds you can get from one instrument. With an acoustic, you get one tone. An electric’s tone can be shaped by an amplifier, pickups, and effects (or signal processors.) The drawbacks are the need for an amplifier and the lack of portability compared to an acoustic.

Acoustic Guitars
An acoustic guitar is a pure, music instrument. It works well in most styles of music. Learn a few chords and it makes a great accompaniment for singing. It works great for both picking/strumming and fingerstyle playing. It doesn’t need an amplifier, but many new models give you that option with built-in preamps, pickups and cable jacks. It’s portable and requires no electricity -- you can play it where ever you are. On the negative side, it has limited tonal capabilities and not much sustain. It is also harder on your fingers, since the action is usually higher than an electric and it uses heavier gauge strings. Also, since an acoustic guitar’s tone is based on the quality of its construction and the woods used, good sounding acoustic guitars are typically a little more expensive than electrics. With a few exceptions, you’ll get a better inexpensive electric guitar than an inexpensive acoustic, but the cost difference may be negated by the need for an amplifier.

Make Your First Choice The Right Choice
If you play for a number of years, you will probably end up with both an acoustic and an electric guitar. But choosing the right type of guitar for your first instrument is important. If you really want an electric, and you bring home an acoustic (or the opposite), you may loose interest and give up altogether. Try both types, even if you can’t play, and see which feels and sounds best. Have a salesman play them for you so you can hear what they will sound like when played by an experienced player. Once you have decided which type of guitar you want, you are ready to go shopping.

Me again i know its only second after my last post but i just checked out that siote further and m,y questions are answered. Heres the site: I dont know how to post sites but the name is betterguitar.com

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']Ok im interested in getting a guitar but im pretty much going into it knowing absolutly nothing. Really i guess just a standard guiter that you plug in. Or is there some type of website i can get an FAQ on buying one? Im kind of tired now but ill come back to this thread. Oh but before i go what exactally is the difference between like a 300$ guitar and a 3000$ one that looks the same on the outside?[/QUOTE]

Well the main differences between lets say a $200 Epiphone and a $2000 Gibson are numerous. One is the country of origin where Gibsons are made in the US, Nashville, Epiphones are made in China and Korea of crappier woods, cheaper pickups (the guitar's "mics" as in the things beneath the strings), and overall craftsmanship. If you're just starting you shouldn't notice too much of a difference between those beginner guitars but you'll grow it out after a while so try aiming for something midrange. You should be able to buy a pretty decent guitar and an amp for about $450 total, haggling helps lots, (its my first guitar, not a lot of cash, etc.). Starting with a crappy instrument will just end up discouraging you. This list is good for starters, a 10 watt Marshall amp (pretty good one IMO) will cost about $80.
http://guitar.about.com/cs/beginners/tp/electricguitars.htm

I think im going to start off with an Acoustic and learn on that then wait for christmas for an electric. Is there any good ones for how about under 200 bucks? Theres a guitar center about 15 miles away from where i live and im sure they have encounterd thousands of newbies like me and will help me out with everything but id just like to maybe have a few options beforehand.

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']I think im going to start off with an Acoustic and learn on that then wait for christmas for an electric. Is there any good ones for how about under 200 bucks? Theres a guitar center about 15 miles away from where i live and im sure they have encounterd thousands of newbies like me and will help me out with everything but id just like to maybe have a few options beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Yamaha makes decent acoustic guitars at pretty nice prices (don't get their electric ones though). I have a Yamaha Acoustic/Electric that's about as old as I am (26) and it still plays great. Also, you can get a beginner Fender for somewhere in your $200-300 range. I'm too lazy to look up prices, but I've also got one of those here and it sounds great, better than my Yamaha, of course. I would stick with the major brands that you know and hear about. A lot of the "budget" model guitars are crap. And compare tone. Play the same chord on several guitars and listen for the depth of tone. It'll be obvious which ones sound better.

Edit: Looked it up. A Fender DG-10 should run you about $200

OK well im doing alot of looking into acoustics myself and still havent narrowed it down enough. More suggestions would be welcomed. Now again if i choose to continue afterwards then i want to eventually get an electric. Some suggestions for that would be nice too. One that caught my eye is an Epiphone G-310 SG for about 250 is that one a good one?

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']OK well im doing alot of looking into acoustics myself and still havent narrowed it down enough. More suggestions would be welcomed. Now again if i choose to continue afterwards then i want to eventually get an electric. Some suggestions for that would be nice too. One that caught my eye is an Epiphone G-310 SG for about 250 is that one a good one?[/QUOTE]

The G-310 is pretty good but a problem with the SGs are that they're neck heavy. If you let go, it'll tip over. Still a good guitar though, no hum from the pickups, and extremely light.

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']OK well im doing alot of looking into acoustics myself and still havent narrowed it down enough. More suggestions would be welcomed. Now again if i choose to continue afterwards then i want to eventually get an electric. Some suggestions for that would be nice too. One that caught my eye is an Epiphone G-310 SG for about 250 is that one a good one?[/QUOTE]

I have a kramer and amp combo that are in great condition. Great beginning guitar, costs about 300 total and the amp was 80.

Turns out my brothers friend has the same acoustic i was interested in. A Fender DG7. He said go for it and get it plus from reviews i read its a great beginner. I was kinda set on it but after he said he had it that seals the deal i guess. He also almost has the same electric i was interested in.

dang man ure only 15???

get a acoustic so u can bring it to your HS and play it during breaks

then get a job when ure 16 to afford an electric

then use your job to further funds for your rock band.

seriously, I wish I started guitar that young

Im homeschooled and really dont plan on having a band. I just turned 15 back in June. I just want one to eventually learn to play my favorite tunes on. Start with acoustic then eventually get an electric.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard made in America. they guitar is beautiful and plays wonderfully. granted the pickups were changed (rio grande in the rhythm and gibson in the treble) but the guitar is just sweet. i've had it for about 5 years, i bought it used, and it always keeps in tune. epiphone makes good shit if you get there higher end stuff (which still has an affordable price) just stay away from their LP specials and stuff. i paid $500 and would gladly do it again.

[quote name='munch']I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard made in America. they guitar is beautiful and plays wonderfully. granted the pickups were changed (rio grande in the rhythm and gibson in the treble) but the guitar is just sweet. i've had it for about 5 years, i bought it used, and it always keeps in tune. epiphone makes good shit if you get there higher end stuff (which still has an affordable price) just stay away from their LP specials and stuff. i paid $500 and would gladly do it again.[/QUOTE]

Epis are REALLY good especially for the price. The only bad thing about the Les Pauls in general are the weight, but that just adds to the tone and sustain....you got lucky with the pickups though munch, the Gibsons pups usually run about $100 each. VampireHunterD is lucky that he's starting at 15, same age I started at, too, too bad my friend started at 13.....he PWNS me, so to say.

When you're picking between an acoustic and an electric, remember that an electric is MUCH easier for beginners. It's really discouraging to start playing on an acoustic because it takes a while to develop enough finger/hand strength to play but at the same time you can't play long enough to develop that strength because the strings bite into your fingertips and you need to develop calluses. You'll be playing a lot more if you buy an electric guitar first.

[quote name='mbstuff']When you're picking between an acoustic and an electric, remember that an electric is MUCH easier for beginners. It's really discouraging to start playing on an acoustic because it takes a while to develop enough finger/hand strength to play but at the same time you can't play long enough to develop that strength because the strings bite into your fingertips and you need to develop calluses. You'll be playing a lot more if you buy an electric guitar first.[/QUOTE]

SECOND'D! Even though it is a lot more expensive.....

Well see some people say start with acoustic and some people say electric. Since electric will be alittle more i might as well when i have the chance get an acoustic, cause i think thats just what im doing today, so i might as well take my chance.

Well i got it. Its a Fender DG8S Value Pack. It came with a gig bag a tuner and some other stuff. I also got a learning book. Im so confused right now but im sure ill eventually get the hang of it. It was like 220 for everything including the book i got seperate.

bread's done
Back