Gunman Kills 9, including self at Omaha Mall

linkpwns

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
OMAHA, Neb. (Dec. 5) - A man with a rifle opened fire at a busy shopping mall Wednesday, killing eight people before taking his own life. Five more people were wounded, two critically.

Shoppers and employees ran screaming through the mall and barricaded themselves in dressing rooms after hearing gunfire. The gunman was found dead on the third floor of the Von Maur department store.

More here

This is disgusting. I'll rant about it after I get over it.

I was watching it live while eatting at a sushi bar today, usually they have japanese news on but, this was bleh.

Ok. My motivation to carry a licensed sidearm has now skyrocketed. We need to be like the Old West again. If everyone learned to use a gun properly and carried, no one would do stupid shit like this because if you blast one guy for no apparent reason, you'd get dropped right away by a bystander (hopefully).

[quote name='nintendokid']Ok. My motivation to carry a licensed sidearm has now skyrocketed. We need to be like the Old West again. If everyone learned to use a gun properly and carried, no one would do stupid shit like this because if you blast one guy for no apparent reason, you'd get dropped right away by a bystander (hopefully).[/quote]

I agree.

However this story is really sad.

[quote name='nintendokid']Ok. My motivation to carry a licensed sidearm has now skyrocketed. We need to be like the Old West again. If everyone learned to use a gun properly and carried, no one would do stupid shit like this because if you blast one guy for no apparent reason, you'd get dropped right away by a bystander (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
The only bad side is that you could essentially drop someone for any given reason but how would you be convicted if all you had to say is that the other person drew their gun on you.

[quote name='nintendokid']Ok. My motivation to carry a licensed sidearm has now skyrocketed. We need to be like the Old West again. If everyone learned to use a gun properly and carried, no one would do stupid shit like this because if you blast one guy for no apparent reason, you'd get dropped right away by a bystander (hopefully).[/QUOTE]

hmmm, was the Old West known as a peaceful time in Americas history or a very violent time in American history? Thats a tough question, though if you have trouble answering it, you probably shouldnt own a gun.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I'm suprised they haven't blamed video games yet.[/quote]
Give it time. They will, eventually.

[quote name='cdeener']The only bad side is that you could essentially drop someone for any given reason but how would you be convicted if all you had to say is that the other person drew their gun on you.[/quote]

Another bad reason is what if you missed the "said gunman" and killed an innocent person? The guy was killing people in a mall (which I'm assume is crowded for the holiday season) and there are a lot of potential innocent bystanders.

(I'm not sticking up for the gunman of course :lol: )

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']hmmm, was the Old West known as a peaceful time in Americas history or a very violent time in American history? Thats a tough question, though if you have trouble answering it, you probably shouldnt own a gun.[/quote]

The old west was awesome, haven't you seen the movies?!

I fuckin' curious how he got an assault rifle into the mall without being noticed. This is terrible. Even worse is Mall Security. I know here in Staten Island, they have nothing but flash lights. What could they possibly fuckin' do in a situation like this? Blind them? There was an incident over the summer a few years back where a few teenagers had brought pepper spray to the mall and started spraying random people. Women, Children, everybody. The mall security could do nothing. What is a man walked through the doors of a mall with an assault rifle in his hand?

This could have been so much worse. This could have easily tolled 20 people dead. RIP to the dead, of course, and I hope the 7 or so injured heal. If the gunmen wanted to, he could have tripled 9 dead and 7 injured before taking his own life.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I'm suprised they haven't blamed video games yet.[/quote]

Same here, 30+ dead at VA Tech and the assholes were out within 2 hours.

Very sad, but it would be the perfect place for terrorists to hit.

They have found a suicide note:
The gunman left a suicide note that was found at his home by his mother, said a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak. TV station KETV reported that the note said he wanted to "go out in style."

What a sick son of a bitch

I have no doubt people will now be *afraid* of shopping at the malls for the rest of the week. what a fucking bunch of pussies.. it was like back in 2001, when that stupid internet email rumor thing about don't go to the mall on oct 31st because of terrorists.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I have no doubt people will now be *afraid* of shopping at the malls for the rest of the week. what a fucking bunch of pussies.. it was like back in 2001, when that stupid internet email rumor thing about don't go to the mall on oct 31st because of terrorists.[/quote]

I'm actually going to the mall friday night...

[quote name='ITDEFX']I have no doubt people will now be *afraid* of shopping at the malls for the rest of the week. what a fucking bunch of pussies.. it was like back in 2001, when that stupid internet email rumor thing about don't go to the mall on oct 31st because of terrorists.[/quote]

I hope shopping malls have to offer even better sales to get people back to the stores.

Enough! The 'normal' mallgoers are and have been enough to keep me home!

And most of these shootings are deranged and disgruntled white* men who were going to off themselves anyway, as demonstrated here, so going all Bernard Goetz with them (after they emptied their clip, anyway) would make little difference.

It's the thugs and thieves that you want to cap. Shootings like this need to be stopped preemptively, but somehow I don't see metal detectors at every mall entrance.

*--I don't know, that's a stereotype, sure, but whenever I hear about these events, I automatically think of pasty-faced Caucasians with blank countenances ($5 crewcut and hunting jacket optional).

[quote name='Zen Davis']I hope shopping malls have to offer even better sales to get people back to the stores.[/QUOTE]

my local KB Toys is going out of business, they should be at 30-60% now...

[quote name='linkpwns']I fuckin' curious how he got an assault rifle into the mall without being noticed. This is terrible. Even worse is Mall Security. I know here in Staten Island, they have nothing but flash lights. What could they possibly fuckin' do in a situation like this? Blind them? There was an incident over the summer a few years back where a few teenagers had brought pepper spray to the mall and started spraying random people. Women, Children, everybody. The mall security could do nothing. What is a man walked through the doors of a mall with an assault rifle in his hand?
[/QUOTE]
Dude, no kidding. This weekend I was at the mall and we saw a mall security guard stroll by on a SEGWAY at a walking pace. He was too lazy to walk on his own feet so he was using a Segway. I can't imagine this guy would be of any help in a real situation.

Even though these are thankfully very isolated incidents, especially from a percentage of mall visitors perspective, these guys aren't exactly the types that are going to deter shoplifting Juggalos, let alone suicidal shooters.

(The video is what it is, so open up another tab and enjoy the music while viewing something else.)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Dude, no kidding. This weekend I was at the mall and we saw a mall security guard stroll by on a SEGWAY at a walking pace. He was too lazy to walk on his own feet so he was using a Segway. I can't imagine this guy would be of any help in a real situation.[/QUOTE]

dude they have segways at my mall too, and I am in PA. I wonder if this is common

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Dude, no kidding. This weekend I was at the mall and we saw a mall security guard stroll by on a SEGWAY at a walking pace. He was too lazy to walk on his own feet so he was using a Segway. I can't imagine this guy would be of any help in a real situation.[/QUOTE]

That's nothing, one mall I saw a guy on a horse!!!

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']dude they have segways at my mall too, and I am in PA. I wonder if this is common[/quote]

Yeah I think it's funny that they wear helmets while doing it. But I mean, if I was running away from a segway I'd just take the steps.

[quote name='linkpwns']I fuckin' curious how he got an assault rifle into the mall without being noticed. This is terrible. Even worse is Mall Security. I know here in Staten Island, they have nothing but flash lights. What could they possibly fuckin' do in a situation like this? Blind them? There was an incident over the summer a few years back where a few teenagers had brought pepper spray to the mall and started spraying random people. Women, Children, everybody. The mall security could do nothing. What is a man walked through the doors of a mall with an assault rifle in his hand?

This could have been so much worse. This could have easily tolled 20 people dead. RIP to the dead, of course, and I hope the 7 or so injured heal. If the gunmen wanted to, he could have tripled 9 dead and 7 injured before taking his own life.[/quote]
He killed 8 and himself. Von Maur (sp?) opens to the outside of the Westroads mall in midtown. Basically he can walk from his car into the building directly. There isn't any security to go through. I work about 8 minutes from this mall so its been a crazy day. Hopefully the 5 or so that are in the hospital with injuries recover. I grew up in Omaha (although I moved away for awhile) and there has never been anything even remotely close to this.

He killed 8 and himself. Von Maur (sp?) opens to the outside of the Westroads mall in midtown. Basically he can walk from his car into the building directly. There isn't any security to go through. I work about 8 minutes from this mall so its been a crazy day. Hopefully the 5 or so that are in the hospital with injuries recover. I grew up in Omaha (although I moved away for awhile) and there has never been anything even remotely close to this.
But even walking through the door... I mean, the distance from any entrance in my mall to the center is enough to pass about 20 or so stores, so he had to be noticed

Shooter: Robert A. Hawkins

gfgfgfpz0.jpg

Looks to me like just another douche bag kid trying to be remembered with all the other spree shooters. What an idiot.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Yeah I think it's funny that they wear helmets while doing it. But I mean, if I was running away from a segway I'd just take the steps.[/QUOTE]

or make a sharp 90* turn

[quote name='Bezerker']Has Jack Thompson blamed Dead Rising yet?[/quote]
He's probably preparing his speech as we speak. I'll bet it involves the phrase "...trained on Dead Rising"

[quote name='linkpwns']But even walking through the door... I mean, the distance from any entrance in my mall to the center is enough to pass about 20 or so stores, so he had to be noticed[/quote]
He didn't walk into the center of the mall. He basically walked in from the street (im assuming) and went 20 feet to an escalator. He got to the 3rd floor and started shooting. The department store is very open. Similar to an atrium kind of area so he kind of had the high ground on 3 escalators (as I understand it from the local news). The news right now has a bunch of bomb squad people around the Jeep Grand Cherokee of the Hawkings punk that off'd himself. Hopefully he doesn't have anymore surprises.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Shooter: Robert A. Hawkins

gfgfgfpz0.jpg

Looks to me like just another douche bag kid trying to be remembered with all the other spree shooters. What an idiot.

Although technically he's only a "suspect" because police haven't "officially" released the shooters identity.

[/QUOTE]

argh
jericho-lenniejames2_1174958328.jpg

I can't find where it mentioned what kind of rifle he used.

People here have mentioned "assault rifle" but the definition of an assault rifle is one with selective fire.

The local sports radio show said that one of their salespeople was shopping in the store at the time. A few hours later they interviewed her. She said she heard pop pop pop pop pop of gun shots on the third floor (small space between the shots). I believe it was some kind of rifle, but I don't think it had any kind of automatic or burst fire capabilities. This is all based on speculation, but the other witnesses on the news and radio basically made the gun noise sound the same. My guess would be something semi-auto but probably made for hunting (although I don't know very much about guns so I could be wrong).

[quote name='ITDEFX']That's nothing, one mall I saw a guy on a horse!!![/quote]

fuck AKs, us horses have bullet-proof hides and diamond sharp hooves. I pity the bitch who messes with a pony.

[quote name='Halo05']I can't find where it mentioned what kind of rifle he used.

People here have mentioned "assault rifle" but the definition of an assault rifle is one with selective fire.[/quote]

The radio was saying an AK-47 assault auto gun. Who the hell knows. And you'd be correct in your definition of such.

[quote name='FoxNews.com']The killer has been identified as Robert A. Hawkins, age 19 or 20, who left a suicide note stating, "I'm going out in style" and "I'm going to be famous."[/quote]
Huge. fucking. Loser.

Things like this make me wish events like these got absolutely no news coverage. They're giving this pussy exacly what he wants: to be remembered forever.

[quote name='Zen Davis']
t1home.2048.hawkins.school.jpg

Here is a better picture. He already looks like he is a gamer.

Shit.[/QUOTE]

guess he got tired of being called a Noob in Halo 3 :)

bread's done
Back