Guy didn't pay shipping - Did I handle it correctly?

This happened two years ago, so it's old news. I just want second and third opinions. I sold a model airplane on Ebay, plus a radio control, plus an engine. Shipping Fee = $50 (airplanes are lightweight, but large and bulky = high shipping fees).

So a couple people bid, and one gentleman won. He paid the price, but not the fee. He refused, saying he was already paying too much.

- So I shipped the plane + engine, and withheld the radio.
- He of course complained.
- I replied, "You'll get the radio, when you pay for the shipping cost. You are bound by Ebay rules & contract to pay that $50."

- I waited 6 months, and he never paid the $50 shipping he still owed, so I sold the radio to some other person, thereby recovering my "lost" $50.

So, do you think I handled it correctly?

troy

Someone who wins an auction, where all terms are clearly laid out, then 'refuses' to comply with the terms he agreed to because it is 'already too much', is not a gentleman.
Assuming your shipping charge was in the realm of reality ,you handled it much nicer than he deserved.
Did he or you leave feedback?

If your auction specifically said that you were including a radio control, and you withheld it, then you are in the wrong.

If your auction did not state a shipping price or mention that shipping is not included in the price, then you are in the wrong.

However, if your auction said that shipping was $50.00 and he didn't pay it, then he is in the wrong. I would have negged him and reported him to eBay then offered a second chance to anyone else who put up a bid.

I think you handled it well. buyers can't negotiate prices especially after the auction ended. usually if the total isn't paid, i don't send out the item.. but since your item is much higher priced, then you did the right thing.

Depends on if the listing specified the shipping cost or not. I hope it at least said something about shipping not being included and you'd let the winning bidder know the amount after the auction. Hard to really say without being able to see the listing, and of course since it is so old now it's long gone.

Personally I would have refunded what he paid and sold the item again if he flat out refused to pony up for the shipping.

[quote name='wubb']Personally I would have refunded what he paid and sold the item again if he flat out refused to pony up for the shipping.[/QUOTE]
That's what I would have done as well.

How much did it actually cost you to ship only the plane and the engine? Wouldn't that add to your "lost"? But then you sold the radio later on for just $50. :whistle2:?

EDIT = *Of course* the shipping was listed. I always charge a flat fee. In this case, $50.
[quote name='dtcarson']Someone who wins an auction, where all terms are clearly laid out, then 'refuses' to comply with the terms he agreed to because it is 'already too much', is not a gentleman.
Did he or you leave feedback?[/QUOTE]BTW, the actual shipping was ~$60 at UPS, so I actually didn't charge enough. And yes, he left a negative saying, "He didn't send the radio" to which I immediately left a negative saying, "AVOID AVOID AVOID. He didn't pay the shipping fee. Avoid this buyer."

The guy was stupid. He actually screwed himself, because he had to go buy a brand-new radio for ~$150..... else the plane was worthless.

And even though I got negged, I did get my $50 back, when I later sold the radio to someone else (they paid $85).

troy

[quote name='wubb']Personally I would have refunded what he paid and sold the item again if he flat out refused to pony up for the shipping.[/QUOTE]

Me three.

That is the correct solution. Delivering a partial shipment for partial payment just wasn't part of the original agreement, and resulted in your getting a negative feedback (which you don't seem to care too much about, so that's fine). Obviously the buyer was in the wrong, but there really wasn't a need to retaliate. The best way to deal with unreasonable people is not to deal with unreasonable people.

[quote name='electrictroy']This happened two years ago, so it's old news. I just want second and third opinions. [/QUOTE]

wtf man?! who the hell cares about your two year old ebay auction and how you handled it... jesus

I would have filed a non-paying bidder complaint with ebay, if he wants his item he can pay the extra $50, if he wants his cash back he could pay for your listing fees.

Probably try to convince him to pay shipping and if not refund his money and sell to the person with the second highest bid (if too low, make another auction =P)

hey guys, i just wanted to tell you that about 5 years ago i broke up with my girlfriend... it was rough at first, but we are still friends and keep in touch, since then i moved on and dated other girls complete with serious relationships, but man how do you get over such a break up. i knwo it happened so long ago, but i just wanted to know what you guys thought i should do to get over it, in case it happens again

Running out of ideas for new threads ;-)

You were most likley right...but I would have never sent ANYTHING to him unless he paid the full amount, period. He was being an ass saying he wouldn't pay the Shipping fee. I would have Neg'ed him and that would be that.

[quote name='guessed']
Personally I would have refunded what he paid and sold the item again if he flat out refused to pony up for the shipping.
That is the correct solution. Delivering a partial shipment for partial payment just wasn't part of the original agreement[/QUOTE]The buyer is obligated by CONTRACT to pay me. He can't just decide, "Oh, I changed my mind. I'm not paying the $50 shipping that I agreed to pay, when I bid." That's bullshit.

And if I had followed your advice to refund the money, I would have lost ~$20 in ebay & paypal transaction fees. Why should I lose money???

I had another guy do that with a $100 VCR, about the same time. "Hey sorry, I bought the same VCR for $25 cheaper from someone else. I don't want yours." Bull. You win the sale. You are contracted to pay for it. Else I end up losing money to Ebay Fees.

troy

I thought Ebay/Paypal forced the buyer to pay what you stipulated, so long as you don't have your options set up to allow buyer to edit the invoice. Was this before Ebay was set up this way?

In any case, it shouldn't be an issue ebay seller's have to deal with today, so long as they have set their account up properly.

[quote name='electrictroy']The buyer is obligated by CONTRACT to pay me. He can't just decide, "Oh, I changed my mind. I'm not paying the $50 shipping that I agreed to pay, when I bid." That's bullshit.

And if I had followed your advice to refund the money, I would have lost ~$20 in ebay & paypal transaction fees. Why should I lose money???

troy[/QUOTE]

you could've filed an npb and got all of your ebay fees back. i'm not sure about paypal though :lol:

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']you could've filed an npb and got all of your ebay fees back. i'm not sure about paypal though :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I wasn't suggesting that you take a loss. The buyer was in the wrong from the outset, and should have been held responsible for any lost fees.

EBay sales are only a legal contract in some states. Check your local attorney general to see if yours is one of them. Anyway the best way to handle it would have been to refuse to send him anything until he paid the full amount and use EBay's nonpaying bidder system to recover your selling fees. Sending partial is kind of just matching his jerkness with some of your own.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']you could've filed an npb and got all of your ebay fees back. i'm not sure about paypal though :lol:[/QUOTE]

You can refuse a Paypal payment for a certain time period after you receive it. I think it's a couple of days. If you do that no fees.

[quote name='crowbb']You can refuse a Paypal payment for a certain time period after you receive it. I think it's a couple of days. If you do that no fees.[/QUOTE]

thanks! i'll keep that in mind next time i sell something :cool:

eletrictroy, if you have some questions on npb's, you should hit up the discussion forum on ebay. some of the sellers are extremely helpful if you have any problems.

bread's done
Back