Guy wants to ship to different Address

gopro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
A person with 1 feedback bought one of my auctions and payed me Today(Friday) and asked to send to another address. I told him I only ship to a confirmed address provided by paypal. Was that the right thing to say?

Thanks

Yes, why would he want it shipped to an address that wasn't the address that PayPal and Ebay bind him to, considering it's after Christmas?

[quote name='Blade']Yes, why would he want it shipped to an address that wasn't the address that PayPal and Ebay bind him to, considering it's after Christmas?[/QUOTE]
Because there are more reasons than Christmas to buy something as a gift? :roll:

But it does seem a bit suspicious. Be careful.

Yep - I'd recomend insurance highly - has something similar happen to me with a PDA I sold - guy didn't want me to ship to his home address. I ended up shipping to the adress he gave me and nothing bad happened, but like b0b says, be cautious.

[quote name='b0bx13']Because there are more reasons than Christmas to buy something as a gift? :roll:

But it does seem a bit suspicious. Be careful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for agreeing with me after being an asshole to me. I'm touched.

*coughignore*

If it's the same zipcode, then it shouldn't be a probem since D/C only shows the zipcode. Otherwise I would be careful.

There are several (nonfraudulent) reasons why he might want to ship it to somewhere else (gift, friend might be home when its delivered, etc). But many sellers require that the shipping address is confirmed so that they're covered through Paypal's seller protection policy, so what you told him is fine. If you don't already, you should mention it in your future auctions w/your shipping info.

Edited to add: Though, if you don't mention it in your auctions, I'm not sure if that's a valid reason in the eyes of eBay to back out of a transaction?

Sometimes people will bid and pay for items for friends and have that item sent to a friend. To me, if its within the United States, its pretty much safe because you can file for mail fraud. But if its being sent out of the country, becareful.

Plus, what is the value of the item? If its an expensive item be cautious.

Are you saying the shipping address on the PayPal payment he made to you is different from the address to which he really wants you to ship? This was a PayPal payment, right? You can change the ship address to whatever you want when you make the payment, he should just pay you again and do that. (But if you are going to insist on a confirmed address that obviously won't work anyway.)

If you didn't mention in the auction that you only ship to confirmed addresses I don't think you should insist on that now. Stuff like that needs to be in the listing. If it was in the listing then it's a reasonable request.

I've shipped to an address other than the one on the payment once or twice. But it was for low cost stuff and buyer(s) with more than just one or two FB. (Plus I went in knowing I might be getting scammed, but figuring I'd give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.) I ship to non-confirmed addresses all the time.

[quote name='wubb']Are you saying the shipping address on the PayPal payment he made to you is different from the address to which he really wants you to ship? This was a PayPal payment, right? You can change the ship address to whatever you want when you make the payment, he should just pay you again and do that. (But if you are going to insist on a confirmed address that obviously won't work anyway.)

If you didn't mention in the auction that you only ship to confirmed addresses I don't think you should insist on that now. Stuff like that needs to be in the listing. If it was in the listing then it's a reasonable request.

I've shipped to an address other than the one on the payment once or twice. But it was for low cost stuff and buyer(s) with more than just one or two FB. (Plus I went in knowing I might be getting scammed, but figuring I'd give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.) I ship to non-confirmed addresses all the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes the address is different, same state different zipcode, yes this was a paypal payment, im still not going to ship to another address not to mention he only has 1 feedback, if he had like 50+ then thats a different story.
Thanks for the input guys, he didnt e-mail me back so im just going to send it to the confirmed address on Monday.

You can file a Non-Payer Dispute that says "buyer asked for shipment to a non-registered address" (or something similar).

[quote name='electrictroy']You can file a Non-Payer Dispute that says "buyer asked for shipment to a non-registered address" (or something similar).[/QUOTE]

You COULD do that but you would lose the dispute since the guy did pay for the item and paypal would easily verifiable proof. I'm not really sure what options there are, but that would not be one of them.

[quote name='gopro']Yes the address is different, same state different zipcode, yes this was a paypal payment, im still not going to ship to another address not to mention he only has 1 feedback, if he had like 50+ then thats a different story.
Thanks for the input guys, he didnt e-mail me back so im just going to send it to the confirmed address on Monday.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, do not send it out without contact. If you send it out without his approval you increase the risk of something going wrong and losing your money. There may be a real reason why the address is wrong (ie. he moved) and, while you shouldn't ship it to the different address, better to have the deal fall through than send the item only for him to file a complain with paypal.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Trust me, do not send it out without contact. If you send it out without his approval you increase the risk of something going wrong and losing your money. There may be a real reason why the address is wrong (ie. he moved) and, while you shouldn't ship it to the different address, better to have the deal fall through than send the item only for him to file a complain with paypal.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. I'd e-mail him that you will either (a) ship to the address he put on the payment or (b) refund his payment so he can repay you using the real shipping address. And if you don't hear from him by X you will be refunding the payment. Did you have in the listing that you only ship to Confirmed addresses? If so I guess you should tell him his options are either (a) or (b) but he'd have to also get the address confirmed somehow first. The obvious downside is that if you do refund the payment you may never get repaid.

Now you technically could ship to the address on the payment and let that be that, but you are certainly increasing the chances of a problem popping up.

How did he ask you to ship to a different address, BTW? Was it in the payment notes or did he send you a seperate e-mail right around the same time he paid with the request?

And yeah even though he's been janky with the payment he'd probably be able to shoot down a NPB complaint if he ends up not being able to make an acceptable payment. PITA.

He sent a seperate e-mail around the same time he paid I guess. Even if I put insuance at my own expense problems still arise? Wouldnt matter he gives me a neg sice I already have 2 negs from like 2 years ago. How could he file a complaint with paypal when he got his item if theres a DC and Insurance?

Ive e-mailed him 2 times in the last 6 days and hes not responding(bought it on the 2nd), he said to contact him via cell phone, which im not going to do since I dont have a phone. Not to mention there would be no record of our conversation on the phone.

Guess Imma wait until Tuesday.

[quote name='gopro']He sent a seperate e-mail around the same time he paid I guess. Even if I put insuance at my own expense problems still arise? Wouldnt matter he gives me a neg sice I already have 2 negs from like 2 years ago. How could he file a complaint with paypal when he got his item if theres a DC and Insurance?

Ive e-mailed him 2 times in the last 6 days and hes not responding(bought it on the 2nd), he said to contact him via cell phone, which im not going to do since I dont have a phone. Not to mention there would be no record of our conversation on the phone.

Guess Imma wait until Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

The problem would be your DC would show delivery to a zip code other than the one on the payment and PayPal may not take the time to realize you were only shipping to where he asked in a seperate e-mail. Or if you do ship to the address that is really on the payment, then no he wouldn't be able to bitch to PayPal AFAIK because the DC would show delivery to the zip that he specified in the payment. (Although he could decide to make up a SNAD story.) The most he could probably do is leave you neg FB. But it'd be a shitty thing to do to him IMO.

I just did a NPB complaint (1st in a looong time for me) and there is actually an option for 'Buyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address' so if you want you could go that route if he can't repay with a confirmed address to which he really wants you to ship. Now eBay may look and see he actually did pay witha confirmed address (even though he doesn't want you to ship there) and say 'Hey he did pay with a confirmed adddress, sorry!' I don't know.

[quote name='wubb']I just did a NPB complaint and there is actually an option for 'Buyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address' so if you want you could go that route [/QUOTE] That was the advice I gave one day ago. Stop was6ting your time witgh the idiot Buyer & give him the NPB Strike he deservses. He probably wants it delivered to anon-confirmed address, because he knows hecan eawily scame you out of yur moneY!!!! I hatre peopklelike that! SCREW THEM BACK.

There.

(troy considers switching to decaffinated coffee). Okay now that I've calmed down. Stop wasting your time, because time is even *more* valuable than money. If a buyer can't follow the rules of Ebay/paypal, even after you've contacted them via email, and requested politely for them to correct the mistake, then they don't deserve good customer service. Give them the NPB Strike they deserve.

And then use your free re-listing credit to put the item back up, so someone who can follow the rules can buy it from you.

Thanks for the input peoples, I wouldve refunded if I hadnt payed for textbooks, friggen $300+, WTH!!! 6 Books for History(taking 2 classes) 1 Math, 1 Speech.
O well, Imma just send it and insure it and send to the confirmed address, too bad for him.

Thanks again, if anyone wants to input mofr info then go right ahead.

bread's done
Back