Half Life 1 questions

salmonaxxx

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to run HL1, but I get a message saying it may not run under Windows XP. And when I try to start a game, I keep getting a "please insert CD" message (it's in, and the DVD-ROM's drivers are updated). I have version 1.0.0.5

Should the 1.1.1.0 patch http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/2457 be the correct one to use at this point?

Also, since I have the old Sierra retail version, can I still download Counterstrike and DoD for free off Steam? (Will my version even work with Steam?)

Thanks!

First off do did you install from another drive as(D instead of E)
As for steam
if your cd-key is valid then you get
Half-life
Half-life: Oppossing force
Half-life: Blue shift (with HD pack, blue shift just added)
Day of defeat
Team Fortress Classic
Deathmatch Claassic
Riocochet
Counter Strike 1.6

[quote name='Animefalcon']First off do did you install from another drive as(D instead of E)
As for steam
if your cd-key is valid then you get
Half-life
Half-life: Oppossing force
Half-life: Blue shift (with HD pack, blue shift just added)
Day of defeat
Team Fortress Classic
Deathmatch Claassic
Riocochet
Counter Strike 1.6[/QUOTE]
If your cd key is valid AND it has not already been tied to another steam account, then you get all that stuff from Steam.

[quote name='guardian_owl']If your cd key is valid AND it has not already been tied to another steam account, then you get all that stuff from Steam.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think all of it was free. I'm pretty sure it's not, just if you buy HL2 under Steam or the back catalog.. I don't think you can enter a HL1 CDKey and get it all for free.

[quote name='Scorch']I didn't think all of it was free. I'm pretty sure it's not, just if you buy HL2 under Steam or the back catalog.. I don't think you can enter a HL1 CDKey and get it all for free.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure most of that stuff was added on as a thank you for putting up with shitty Steam when they Shutdown WON,net, I'm updating Steam right now and I'll see what's on my list is all I have on it is a HL1 CD key.

Checking...

Yep, get all those free + Codename: Gordon, a 2D sidescrolling shooter, and a Half-Life 2 demo.

[quote name='Animefalcon']First off do did you install from another drive as(D instead of E)[/QUOTE]

No, I only have one disc drive (and one virtual one).

Does the 1.1.1.0 patch come with Steam? Or do I have to download Steam and run it seperately?

[quote name='salmonaxxx']No, I only have one disc drive (and one virtual one).

Does the 1.1.1.0 patch come with Steam? Or do I have to download Steam and run it seperately?[/QUOTE]
Been ages since I did the steam install, but once you install Halfife, which I assume you already have, download the client, I recommend getting the full cache 700ish mb one instead of the 500Kb version. You can get it from like fileplanet http://www.fileplanet.com/130416/130000/fileinfo/Steam-Client-with-Full-Steam-Cache-[Win32] or I'm sure there are mirrors for it on various different file storage places on the net, otherwise you have to download all the info over steam. If you don't intend to play any of the mods, then just get the one with the cache of the mods you want. If I remember correctly, it detects your half-life install then has you create a steam account. Then you download updates via steam.

bread's done
Back