Half-Life 10 year Anniversery - $0.98 on Steam

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
Happy Birthday Half-Life!

to celebrate, Valve is offering the original Half-Life for 98 cents until 11/21 (noon PST).

i can guarantee everybody already has this, but it IS a deal. $1 for a GOTY title and true classic? yeah, that's a deal.

If some unknown reason you're a fan of first-person shooters, science fiction games...hell, games period...and you don't already own Half Life, you no longer have any excuses. Go.

Hmmm, honestly I'm in that minority of never having been on Steam or played the first Half-life. And I have Orange Box sitting in backlog. I guess I should probably play through this one first huh?

I played through all the HL2 games in the Orange Box, read the story behind the HL universe, but never actually played HL1. I know it's regarded as a classic but I wonder how well it holds up to today's FPS games. Still for less than a dollar for the full game, it's hard to really complain.

Never quite finished the original Half-Life. I found it near impossible after going through the portal toward the end of the game.

I did own it for 8 years before I played it though.

[quote name='kipz']Apparently I already have Half Life: Source. Is that the same?[/quote]

Yup just a jazzed up version with the source engine

Man, crazy price. It's almost ridiculous how cheap that is...I don't think the game has ever been that low even on clearance.

The only downside is that it doesn't include anything but the original Half-life (so no Counter-strike, TF2, etc), but you should still be able to play the standard multiplayer and all mods if I'm not mistaken.

Is there any way to buy several extra copies of this for your Steam account so that you can give them away as gifts later on? The only options it gives during checkout is to buy a single gift for a person and you have to select them from your Steam list or send an email to them. Can you just send an email to yourself and not use it and end up with the little prompt that says "x extra copy" next to the game in your Steam list so you can give it away?

I would've gotten this had I not grabbed the HL Anthology from some site which cleared it out for like $5.

Still a great game to this day, BTW.

It's on Steam and they have a big ass sign for it. I don't game on my computer (MacBook Pro), that's what I have PS3/360 for, but I bought this. PC is the only place I'll be able to get Half-Life and I figure even though I have a laptop it shouldn't be a problem to run this game (in Windows by Boot Camping, of course).

Thanks for the heads up, OP!

[quote name='flix1']Never quite finished the original Half-Life. I found it near impossible after going through the portal toward the end of the game.

I did own it for 8 years before I played it though.[/quote]

Yeah, as I recall there's some extraordinarily tedious platforming in the last few stages that sapped some of my excitement for the game. Still, for $0.98, I'll have to pick it up again!

I loved Half-Life 2, but I've never played this except for a few glitchy minutes of the leaked Dreamcast version.

How does it run on Vista?

I'll pick this up. I had a copy a long time ago, but I changed computers and lost the key, so $1 is worth it.

Everyone that has a working computer should own this. It takes absolutely nothing to run it. I'll probably buy a copy to replace my disc copy.

Sweet. Just got the Orange Box from the Walmart 2 for 30 deal a few weeks ago. Now I can play through the original first.

I actually managed to lose my HL1 CD and key a while back, and I've been missing it since, so this is a great deal.

You can just enter the CD Key from your disc copy into Steam, if you still have it. I remember when I did that back when Steam started, I was surprised at all the games it unlocked.

[quote name='SL4IN']Everyone that has a working computer should own this. It takes absolutely nothing to run it. I'll probably buy a copy to replace my disc copy.[/QUOTE]

IN for 1 lol, .98 is too good of a price since I don't have the game anymore. Has the steam version of half life been fixed up for vista? Also I was wondering if anyone still plays the original day of defeat. I want to buy that too. I had alot of fun with that.

Have this for the PS2, but for less than a 5-piece Wendy's Crispy Chicken Nuggets...thanks, OP! And, as always, thanks, Valve!

[quote name='Edge']Can you just send an email to yourself and not use it and end up with the little prompt that says "x extra copy" next to the game in your Steam list so you can give it away?[/QUOTE]

You can gift it to yourself, but I believe it has to be a different email than the one linked to your Steam account. Then there will be an option under your gifts to resend the gift which will allow you to enter a new email address. I'm doubting you can send more than one to the same email address.

[quote name='Kingfalcon']So can you download CS and use it with this copy of Half-Life?[/quote]
I believe only CS 1.5, not 1.6. 1.6 is retail version...I think.

I'm getting tons of mods for this.

Snagged a copy. Thanks OP. I own the PC version, and probably should just register my cdkey, but I want to support valve and you cannot beat $0.98 for a game that still holds very up well.

Such a great price for a great game. I would buy it if I didn't already have it.

Hopefully the people making the Black Mesa remake hurry up and finish it before the end of the decade.

[quote name='kipz']Apparently I already have Half Life: Source. Is that the same?[/quote]

Technically, yes, although the Source version of HL1 has bugs. Certain scripted scenes are broken because the Source AI now notices you from farther away. That's quite a bummer because part of what made Half-life so groundbreaking was its cinematic presentation. Before, FPSes were story-less get-to-elevator-at-the-end-of-the-level games.

[quote name='prateeko']It's on Steam and they have a big ass sign for it. I don't game on my computer (MacBook Pro), that's what I have PS3/360 for, but I bought this. PC is the only place I'll be able to get Half-Life and I figure even though I have a laptop it shouldn't be a problem to run this game (in Windows by Boot Camping, of course).

Thanks for the heads up, OP![/quote]

Dude! You should play games, I got a MacBook Pro (the one w/ the 512 MB Vid Card, but got it back in August, so not the new one). It plays games like a champ, I have played HL 2, Quake 4, Civ IV, etc. on it and other newer games and looks and runs great. (I installed Win XP Pro on it). *of course haven't tried it yet w/ something like Crysis Warhead or anything...

Anyways, to me this is a great gaming laptop.

I'm doing the dual 2.5 Ghz w/ 4GB Ram version.

[quote name='DrUnkAgAIn']I loved Half-Life 2, but I've never played this except for a few glitchy minutes of the leaked Dreamcast version.

How does it run on Vista?[/quote]

Runs perfectly on Vista.

Yay. Been waiting for something like this... so I could finally play it after playing the other Half-life 2 games. Thanks.

Thanks a ton for this deal. I've played the first Half-Life before but I never owned it, so I just bought and downloaded it. :)

bread's done
Back