Half-Life 10 year Anniversery - $0.98 on Steam

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
Happy Birthday Half-Life!

to celebrate, Valve is offering the original Half-Life for 98 cents until 11/21 (noon PST).

i can guarantee everybody already has this, but it IS a deal. $1 for a GOTY title and true classic? yeah, that's a deal.

Never bought a game off of steam, usually the physical copy in store, so how does this work? Will I geta key, or will it just be tied into my account?

[quote name='dchrisd']Snagged a copy. Thanks OP. I own the PC version, and probably should just register my cdkey, but I want to support valve and you cannot beat $0.98 for a game that still holds very up well.[/quote]

Dude, register your key on Steam. You'll get Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and some other stuff. This was an extremely pleasant surprise when I finally got tired of HL: Source's bugs and dug up my original copy.

[quote name='Link927']Never bought a game off of steam, usually the physical copy in store, so how does this work? Will I geta key, or will it just be tied into my account?[/quote]
The purchase is tied to your account. As long as you have your account information you can redownload the game as many times as you want.

[quote name='cdrober']Dude! You should play games, I got a MacBook Pro (the one w/ the 512 MB Vid Card, but got it back in August, so not the new one). It plays games like a champ, I have played HL 2, Quake 4, Civ IV, etc. on it and other newer games and looks and runs great. (I installed Win XP Pro on it). *of course haven't tried it yet w/ something like Crysis Warhead or anything...

Anyways, to me this is a great gaming laptop.

I'm doing the dual 2.5 Ghz w/ 4GB Ram version.[/QUOTE]

Well, my MBP is two years old now (2.33Ghz, 256MB X1600 :() but I got it, switched over to Windows via Boot Camp for the first time in almost a year (normally use parallels to do a little bit of work in Win) and it's fun to play but weird since I never PC gamed before. The whole moving with WASD is weird since it's digital and I'm used to analog (i.e. left stick).

I basically run around with the prevision of a 4 year old, lol.

[quote name='Vinny']I would've gotten this had I not grabbed the HL Anthology from some site which cleared it out for like $5.

Still a great game to this day, BTW.[/quote]Which site would that be?

[quote name='Video-Gamer']can any one tell me how tha hell do i buy this? it wont let me register dammit![/quote]

What error are you getting? You should be able to create an account with this link:

https://store.steampowered.com/join/

It should prompt you to download Steam at some point after that. Once you have that open, it should open up a window to start the purchasing process after you click "Buy now" for the game.

What is this Steam that I'm supposed to download first? Is it some kind of a client software for purchasing and maintaining DRM?

Games that I purchased through Steam are the retail version, right? I hope the steam s/w is not one virtual machine/emulator thing that the games run on?

Wow, this is technically even cheaper than the $5 I paid for the Half Life Anthology collection last black friday ($5 / 4 games = $1.25 per game)

Half Life has infinite re-playability, what with mods still being developed for it to this day.

[quote name='eau']What is this Steam that I'm supposed to download first? Is it some kind of a client software for purchasing and maintaining DRM?

Games that I purchased through Steam are the retail version, right? I hope the steam s/w is not one virtual machine/emulator thing that the games run on?[/QUOTE]

Are you trolling?

I'd highly recommend the Sven Coop mod for this as well, especially if its your first play through or if you never quite made it. It basically allows you to play through 99% of the game coopertively online. Very fun. The difficulty is adjusted in the form of added bad guys and they added respawn points to each level. The only things you lose are the scripted sequences that warp your character. You cant save the game but you can load any stage on the fly so you also dont have to go through it in one sitting.

The mod is of course free, just google it.

[quote name='V878']I played through all the HL2 games in the Orange Box, read the story behind the HL universe, but never actually played HL1. I know it's regarded as a classic but I wonder how well it holds up to today's FPS games. Still for less than a dollar for the full game, it's hard to really complain.[/quote]

Holds up well, it just looks aged. If you mod it and play it with a friend i can guarantee you'll have a blast though.

Does anyone know if a Blue Shift works with this? Also, wasn't thee a higher resolution texture add on somewhere down the line? is it included?

BTW in for one. THanks, OP.

Wow, if you can find your CD Key for any old Half Life game I highly reccomend entering it in. I had a copy of the original Half Life, nothing else. When I entered it in it unlocked: Richochet, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Team Fortress Classic. Pretty damn good for .98! I guess I could have gotten it all free with my CD Key but considering I had no clue what Steam was until yesterday I guess it is worth .98 for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet deal, I had been waiting for a deal on HL1 for a long time now. I just wish they would have offered like $5 HL1 anthology with Blue Shift and Opposing Force also.

I'm actually in the middle of playing this right now. I borrowed my brother's copy of the GOTY edition (or whatever that edition is called that comes with Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and some other stuff). If I re-bought this through Steam would I be able to transfer my game saves and stuff or would I have to start over? Obviously it's not especially necessary but it would be nice to "officially" own it since I'm putting some time into the game.

had to buy this. I've been wanting to try this game for a while. I debated buying half life source but the graphics still look very dated so I might as well play the classic.

Don't forget the "Hi-Res" pack that makes higher-poly models with better textures. I mean, it'll still look dated, but it won't look laughable like the original models did.

[quote name='V878']What error are you getting? You should be able to create an account with this link:

https://store.steampowered.com/join/

It should prompt you to download Steam at some point after that. Once you have that open, it should open up a window to start the purchasing process after you click "Buy now" for the game.[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks. for some strange reason its working now. I was using the same page earlier but it didnt work.
Thanks again though.

[quote name='qwerty1']I'd highly recommend the Sven Coop mod for this as well, especially if its your first play through or if you never quite made it. It basically allows you to play through 99% of the game coopertively online. Very fun. The difficulty is adjusted in the form of added bad guys and they added respawn points to each level. The only things you lose are the scripted sequences that warp your character. You cant save the game but you can load any stage on the fly so you also dont have to go through it in one sitting.

The mod is of course free, just google it.

Holds up well, it just looks aged. If you mod it and play it with a friend i can guarantee you'll have a blast though.[/QUOTE]

I agree, if you want some good co-op fun added to Half-Life 1 for free, download Sven Co-op no doubt, easily one of the most polished and insanely fun co-op mods, even as of today.

sweet, i picked up a copy. haven't played this game in years and for $1, how could anyone pass this up? oh right, they don't :)

[quote name='Video-Gamer']Okay thanks. for some strange reason its working now. I was using the same page earlier but it didnt work.
Thanks again though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have been getting the same issue. I tried yesterday and got an error. Just tried now:

"Your account creation request failed, please try again later."

I cannot get this account to create for the life of me. If this doesn't work by tonight, could someone please gift it to me and I'll paypal you the dollar? Would that even work?

[quote name='demented1']Wow, if you can find your CD Key for any old Half Life game I highly reccomend entering it in. I had a copy of the original Half Life, nothing else. When I entered it in it unlocked: Richochet, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Team Fortress Classic. Pretty damn good for .98! I guess I could have gotten it all free with my CD Key but considering I had no clue what Steam was until yesterday I guess it is worth .98 for the info.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Thanks for the tip! I entered my Blue Shift CD Key and it unlocked Half-Life Platinum pack which includes all the cool stuff you mentioned. Nice! You know, I'm really starting to like the idea of Steam.

Everyone dogs steam but it's actually pretty good. One of the only digital content distribution programs that I've had good experiences with. Ahhh the memories though. I remember about 5-6 years ago when steam first came about. My friend had one copy of day of defeat that we all shared since it was stand alone, well it wasn't too long after that that you needed steam to play it so no more sharing :(

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Everyone dogs steam[/quote]

Not really, anymore. Anytime it's mentioned on a videogame podcast, for instance, it's usually to sing its praises compared to some other failed DRM in the news.

of course i had it already, but it was such a great deal that i bought it for my nephew. now he's gonna get on steam. maybe i'll buy him some more games owing to this. well played, valve. well played.

I bought it and I do like Steam after going through it for a few minutes. I'm not a big PC gamer, though, so I don't think I will be using it too much. I figured I'd add the original Half Life to my giant list of games that I still need to finish, which includes all of the Half Life 2 content from The Orange Box on 360.

Tight, I am curious to know how many people actually buy it. Cuz im pretty sure everyone who has steam has it already.

anyone else having a problem creating an account on STEAM? Everytime I attempt to create an account it says "Your account creation request failed, please try again later." Any idea on what I can do? I really want to download this.

I have tried twice now (today and yesterday), and each time, when attempting to join the site, it will not allow me. Has do with an error in regards to entering of the characters, in which case, I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

[quote name='Serious McMopy']I have tried twice now (today and yesterday), and each time, when attempting to join the site, it will not allow me. Has do with an error in regards to entering of the characters, in which case, I am not sure what I am doing wrong?[/quote]

Hmm.. Have you tried different names? Maybe trying a different browser would help? Other people, including myself, have signed up fine in the past two days, so I'd keep trying different things until you get it.

Huh...well, for 98¢....

The demo for the original made me sick for some reason, so I never bought it. I probably won't be able to beat it (or even finish the first area this time either), but for the price....

[quote name='eau']What is this Steam that I'm supposed to download first? Is it some kind of a client software for purchasing and maintaining DRM?

Games that I purchased through Steam are the retail version, right? I hope the steam s/w is not one virtual machine/emulator thing that the games run on?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Steam is basically distribution, rights management, and community services all stuffed into one program. Don't worry. It's not an emulator.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's just an activation DRM scheme coupled with community features-Xbox Live like except better from what I've heard.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

Huh...well, for 98¢....

The demo for the original made me sick for some reason, so I never bought it. I probably won't be able to beat it (or even finish the first area this time either), but for the price....

[/quote]

I know how you feel. I just had stop playing Half-Life 2, because of how bad the motion sickness was, and I am one who normally does not have motion sickness with video games. In all honesty, the only reason I want Half-Life is because I think it is something my little brothers might enjoy. Otherwise, I am not touching it. Simply not worth it.

bread's done
Back