Half Life 2: Aftermath

Steam is easily one of the worst ideas of all time. I mean seriously, I want to buy a game, not just a disc that "lets" me download the game off a website basically. I mean the stupid updates take longer than the install.

Whats wrong with steam? I know how much you guys like collecting the original games to have forever (I do too), but thats no excuse to not buy a good game (assuming its good).

Steam's fine now. It used to be godawful, but i've had it since it launched and the only thing that's broke about it is the friends list.

If it's true that you have to pay through Steam to get the update, definately count me out.

Steam is easily one of the worst ideas of all time. I mean seriously, I want to buy a game, not just a disc that "lets" me download the game off a website basically. I mean the stupid updates take longer than the install.

A disc that lets you download the game off a website? Not quite, you get the game in small chunks, and you CAN burned it after downloading it.. but I agree, i'd rather have a copy published by the company rather than download it and burn it myself.

Steam is no problem to me anymore. However, the Friends system could use a, well, HUGE revamp, as it's absolutely horrendous.

[quote name='Scorch']Steam's fine now. It used to be godawful, but i've had it since it launched and the only thing that's broke about it is the friends list.

If it's true that you have to pay through Steam to get the update, definately count me out.

A disc that lets you download the game off a website? Not quite, you get the game in small chunks, and you CAN burned it after downloading it.. but I agree, i'd rather have a copy published by the company rather than download it and burn it myself.[/QUOTE]

Actually I was referring more to the fact that without the internet and Steam the 6 discs that encompass Half-life 2 are absolutely worthless. That's the part that really bugs me. The fact that I need the internet just to play a single player game in my own home.

I also hated how long it took to get HL2 running after installing 6 discs. And I'd much rather pay for the expansion the olde fashioned way, in a store, and be able to play right after I installl the disc/s. Just cause I have DSL doesn't mean I want to wait 2-3 hours to d/l an "update" (something I NEED to play the game, thus it's less of an "update" to me, and more of an actual part of the install or whatever).

But damn, what a game...

Yikes people....

- Boycott Steam
- Boycott WalMart
- Boycott Microsoft

Why does everybody need to have a cause? I've had no problem with Steam and will definitely be getting the HL2 expansion.......

[quote name='Jaxcomet']Yikes people....

- Boycott Steam
- Boycott WalMart
- Boycott Microsoft

Why does everybody need to have a cause? I've had no problem with Steam and will definitely be getting the HL2 expansion.......[/QUOTE]

you forgot one...EA

[quote name='gaelan']you forgot one...EA[/QUOTE]

I boycott food, because its always changing, and I HATE change....

[quote name='Jaxcomet']Yikes people....

- Boycott Steam
- Boycott WalMart
- Boycott Microsoft

Why does everybody need to have a cause? I've had no problem with Steam and will definitely be getting the HL2 expansion.......[/QUOTE]

No one said anything about boycotting steam. I simply said that I don't like the way you are required to hooked up to the internet in order to play a single player game offline. I understand WHY they did steam, prevent pirating mostly, I just don't like it very much. The reason they're releasing the expansion exclusively
on Steam is two fold, one- pirating, and two- reduce costs and therefore increase profits.

Office Space offers us many insights in life- "You see it would be this mat with different conclusions that you could jump to."

[quote name='help1']I boycott food, because its always changing, and I HATE change....[/QUOTE]

:lol: :applause: hilarious, and good point. I don't mind change if it's for the better, and I can understand that since this is so new, it hasn't realized its full potential. The most glaring issue I have with Steam is it doesn't really streamline the installation process, instead it makes it more of a hastle to get started. And somewhere in Eastern Europe, someone buys a pirated version and has the same trouble I bet...I would also think that purchasing and d/ling a game from them completely online would result in a cheaper price?...I don't know if they charge sales tax when you do that, so it may be cheaper by a bit. But then again, I also expect a game to be cheaper if mass advertising is used in it (something to look forward to in the future of gaming it seems). "how naive" :roll:

To stay on topic though, I'm looking forward to the continuation of the HL2 story. Even though it ended on a cliff hanger, the ride was a lot more enjoyable than Halo 2's (to me).

bread's done
Back