Half Life 2 Collector's Edition (PC) $63/$64 AC shipped free at Buy.com

In addition to a limited edition DVD-ROM version of Half-Life 2, this Collector's Edition also includes:

*Counter-Strike: Source - The next generation of the #1 online action game
*Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game
*Free Limited Edition T-shirt - Offered in men's size XL only
*Half-Life 2 Prima Book - Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork
Is this the only way to get Half Life: Source?

No, you can also get HL: Source by buying the Silver pack off of Steam, which is only $60. The other bonus to ordering from Steam is that you don't have to put a disc in your drive to play.

fraeone

Let me go ahead and say that unless you're a huge fan of Half-Life, it's not worth it. The artbook and shirt are cool (I'm about to wear the shirt here in a second, actually). Half-Life: Source was not done as CS was - There's virtually no change at all except for ragdoll physics and water. HOWEVER.. it says that it does not come with Day of Defeat source.. yet when I input my registration, it gave me access to DoD: Source (which isn't available yet).

While it might be nice to buy online and have no CD/DVD, that's also the downfall. I have heard nothing but problems for those people who did not preload the HL2, and I have heard nothing but problems for people who bought the CD version. I bought the Collector's Edition, which is on one DVD, and I've had no problems. Steam gives you the option to back up games, and that's nice, but you must use common sense.. thousands of people are trying to download this right now. Visit any message board and read how people's downloads are getting stuck. Buying the CE basically ensures no installation or playing problems. Half-Life: Source is not worth a seperate version purchase.

But.. it sorta is. The headcrabs have ragdoll physics.. so I made up a new game.. headcrab baseball! Basically.. pull out your crowbar.. get close.. when they jump, quickly step to the left or right and swing your mouse and hit them with the crowbar.. the farther they fly, the more points you get! I'll take some pictures of some changes in Half-Life: Source and post them in this thread if you want, but they're few and far between.

[quote name='Scorch']I'll take some pictures of some changes in Half-Life: Source and post them in this thread if you want, but they're few and far between.[/quote]

That would be cool!

EDIT: nvmnd, for some reason the 5 bucks off doesnt work for me even though I have never shopped at buy.com before : P
The other voucher works okay.

I also get kicked back to the shopping cart after verifying my credit card. I've tried several times to the same result.

Removing the $5 off and replacing it with the $4 off worked for me too. I am also a new customer but apparently the coupon doesn't work right.

[quote name='miker8']Removing the $5 off and replacing it with the $4 off worked for me too. I am also a new customer but apparently the coupon doesn't work right.[/quote]
I bet that $5 off coupon is not valid for PC games, since that is technically in the software category and not "Books, Videos/DVDs, Games & Music"
I will update the OP.

Well, to be fair, Valve made it clear a long time ago that Half-Life would not be getting any major upgrades. (It's still excellent) The idea isn't for them to remodel every game every time they come out with a new engine, but rather to ensure that old favorites still run on new machines.

I would kill for Tie Fighter : Source :)

click on the 5 dollar off software one.

youll get the 6% off AND then the 5.00 off the price.

works fine for me.

check out my other post for the link (under wow deal)

[quote name='Ivanhoe']click on the 5 dollar off software one.

youll get the 6% off AND then the 5.00 off the price.

works fine for me.

check out my other post for the link (under wow deal)[/quote]

You can't checkout with both coupons.

Compared to the Steam online download choices, would this be consided the gold package?! But what Im more concerned about is if it matches the Silver Package which includes...

▪ Half-Life 2
▪ Counter-Strike: Source
▪ Half-Life 1: Source
▪ Day of Defeat™:
Source*
▪ PLUS: Valve's back catalog available on Steam!

If it does then, I would definitly get this since the Silver is only 59.95. I really want DoD: Source and the back catalog (like Counter-Strike: CZ)

[quote name='Scorch']HOWEVER.. it says that it does not come with Day of Defeat source.. yet when I input my registration, it gave me access to DoD: Source (which isn't available yet). [/quote]

Well thats good news! But how about the back catalogs?

To be honest, the CE sucks even at that price. It's a much better deal to get the Silver pack from Steam, unless you'd rather have a shirt instead of DoD:S and Valve's back catalog (not included in any retail version). The retail versions require you to have the disc in the drive to play any of the games (even CS:S), PLUS you still have to install Steam and authenticate the game online, while the Steam version can be played from any computer that has internet access without the extra disc requirement (and you CANNOT download games from Steam with the retail package, you HAVE to install them from the discs). Unless you're on a slow/bandwidth restricted internet connection, there's honestly not much reason not to go for the Steam versions instead.

/end rant

[quote name='fraeone']Well, to be fair, Valve made it clear a long time ago that Half-Life would not be getting any major upgrades. (It's still excellent) The idea isn't for them to remodel every game every time they come out with a new engine, but rather to ensure that old favorites still run on new machines.[/quote]

So why didn't they at least use the High Definition pack models? It's like they intentionally avoided upgrading the graphics. I wasn't expecting redesigned levels or anything, but they could've at least used the best art assets that were availible for the game (or made it an option). Hell, the probably could've even used the HL2 models for the game, since about half the characters and enemies in HL1 are also in HL2.

I have to say, you get the best stuff with Gold. The box is a lot nicer, the hat is sweet, the OSt, sticker, postcard all rule, and having 3 full size posters of each box art is sweet. Plus you get the full strategy guide, which is 25 by itself. Add in DOD:S, HL:S, CS:S, and the back cataloge, and it's easily worth the 100 shipped.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I have to say, you get the best stuff with Gold. The box is a lot nicer, the hat is sweet, the OSt, sticker, postcard all rule, and having 3 full size posters of each box art is sweet. Plus you get the full strategy guide, which is 25 by itself. Add in DOD:S, HL:S, CS:S, and the back cataloge, and it's easily worth the 100 shipped.[/quote]

Wait, so when you order Gold edition from Steam, what exactly do they ship to you? They don't ship the game to you, right? After all, you already downloaded it from Steam. Can you provide a picture or something? That would help. Thanks.

[quote name='Edge']Basically it's exactly like the Silver version (you have to download all the games through Steam, no physical copies), except they also send you a box with goodies in it. Here's a thread on it: http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=171949[/quote]

Cool, thnx. I've heard of other people who have received the collector's box in really bad shape. Plus the fact that the 3 posters are folded. I'll go with the retail CE instead.

A little off topic, but somebody mentioned they'd like to see a remake of Tie Fighter. I know somebody started a project to redo the graphics for Xwing vs. Tie Fighter. Search for it on Google. I picked up a CD of the game for like $3 new @ EB in anticipation of the upgrades.

bread's done
Back