Half-Life 2 Discussion Thread

Whenever I log on to my computer now it says steam cant start off in offline mode, and no user data is stored on my computer anymore.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']Creepy... yet cool. Still not sure If I'll get it. I wish they would have a demo, so I could see it for myself. DANG IT![/quote]

guess what? they are releaseing a demo today consisting of part of ravenholm and some other stuff. could this be a sign of bad sales?

only thing is, you have to have a steam account to install the demo.

[quote name='jalu6']guess what? they are releaseing a demo today consisting of part of ravenholm and some other stuff. could this be a sign of bad sales?[/quote]

Nah. For whatever reason, some companies wait to release a demo, even if in the past they were known for releasing demos before retail release (for example, Id Software and DooM 3). Judging simply by the number of people playing CS: Source, I'd say the sales numbers are pretty strong.

How could there be bad sales for this game???? I haven't been floored by a game like this in god knows how long.

Sales are DEFINATELY NOT slumping. The demo was released because people wanted to know how HL2 would run on their system.

I'm a Half-Life completist (The only thing that I'm missing is CS:CZ and retail CS.. I have Half-Life, Half-Life GOTY, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and the oft-forgotten Gunman Chronicles, as well as HL2, CS:S, HL:S and hopefully DOD:S and eventually TFC:S), so i'll probably give it a download, even though i've already played and beat the full game.

[quote name='Scorch']Sales are DEFINATELY NOT slumping. The demo was released because people wanted to know how HL2 would run on their system.

I'm a Half-Life completist (The only thing that I'm missing is CS:CZ and retail CS.. I have Half-Life, Half-Life GOTY, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and the oft-forgotten Gunman Chronicles, as well as HL2, CS:S, HL:S and hopefully DOD:S and eventually TFC:S), so i'll probably give it a download, even though i've already played and beat the full game.[/quote]

AHA!

You don't have Half Life Uplink, an entierly new level for the original, released as a freely available demo. I suggest you grab it, as it's fucking fun as hell, and still amazes me to this day. Headcrabs amd zombies and soldiers oh my!

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='jalu6']guess what? they are releaseing a demo today consisting of part of ravenholm and some other stuff. could this be a sign of bad sales?[/quote]

Nah. For whatever reason, some companies wait to release a demo, even if in the past they were known for releasing demos before retail release (for example, Id Software and DooM 3). Judging simply by the number of people playing CS: Source, I'd say the sales numbers are pretty strong.[/quote]
Most of the time the developers are finishing the game or working on a patch before it comes out, so they dont have time to work on the demo, which is why they somtimes come out after the game comes out.

[quote name='Scorch']Sales are DEFINATELY NOT slumping. The demo was released because people wanted to know how HL2 would run on their system.

I'm a Half-Life completist (The only thing that I'm missing is CS:CZ and retail CS.. I have Half-Life, Half-Life GOTY, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and the oft-forgotten Gunman Chronicles, as well as HL2, CS:S, HL:S and hopefully DOD:S and eventually TFC:S), so i'll probably give it a download, even though i've already played and beat the full game.[/quote]

Scorch is correct. I am downloading it right now, as I want to see how well it will run on PC without the stick of RAM I plan on getting in the next couple of weeks

Everyone on my XFire profile is playing Half-Life 2

[quote name='CaseyRyback']the demo just made a believer out of me. I got some stutter so I will wait for a stick of RAM first, but that was amazing[/quote]

the stuttering problem may not be your lack of RAM. there seems to be a pretty well documented problem with this.

link

even with the stutter, its the best FPS i've played in years.

[quote name='jalu6'][quote name='CaseyRyback']the demo just made a believer out of me. I got some stutter so I will wait for a stick of RAM first, but that was amazing[/quote]

the stuttering problem may not be your lack of RAM. there seems to be a pretty well documented problem with this.

link

even with the stutter, its the best FPS i've played in years.[/quote]

the second time I played Ravenholm the game did not stutter at all so you may be right

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='jalu6'][quote name='CaseyRyback']the demo just made a believer out of me. I got some stutter so I will wait for a stick of RAM first, but that was amazing[/quote]

link

even with the stutter, its the best FPS i've played in years.[/quote]

the second time I played Ravenholm the game did not stutter at all so you may be right[/quote]
I have a gig of Ram and I get shuttering after the load times.

looks like they released another patch that is supposed to stop the sutttering for "most" people.

cut down on it a little for me. how about you guys?

[quote name='jalu6']looks like they released another patch that is supposed to stop the sutttering for "most" people.

cut down on it a little for me. how about you guys?[/quote]

Same here. It helped but it's still there a bit..........

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']They're suppsoed to be releasing a CS patch that will add bots to CS matches and for practice.[/quote]

yeah, played this a bit last night. they are pretty much the Condition Zero bots. I havent played enough to see all the differences in AI, but I really like not having to play against real, annoying people all the time.

does anybody know of some really big nice detailed mods for half life 2 in the pipeline? i've heard that people are buying this game essentially beacuse its such a great base for all kinds of mods. case in point: counterstrike.

this is not to discount the awesome single player and the bundled CS:S. is day of defeat still free?

as far as steam goes, is it OK to say that as long as u have a legit copy of the game ur good to go??(the discussion about steam was getting beyond me, sorry)

bread's done
Back