Half-Life 2: Lost Coast is awesome and sexy!

Quackzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)

PLAY IT! Even if it says your computer sucks, turn off HDR and some other stuff and play it with worse graphics.

(I get about 25 fps with HDR off, that level is fucking HUGE!)

Downloading it as we speak.

Requirements, IIRC, are:

P4 2.6GHz or higher
1GB Ram
GeForce 6800 or Higher.

My pc is:
P4 2.8GHz, which is over clocked 5% to about 2.95GHz
512MB Ram :(
GeForce 6800GT OC

I hope my ram doesn't p00p out on me...oh well, if I can't play it tonight, I'll be able to in a few days, as I just bought a 74GB Raptor and plan on getting 2GB HyperX Ram. =)

Half-Life 2 and CS:Source make me throw up. I get sick and dizzy after 30-45 minutes of play. I'm only up to the air boat part in HL2. I wanna see the amazing HDR but I know that I will end up lying in bed after 30 mins.

Played it...it was just "eh" for me...too short, I thought I was getting a level to play, not a tech demo.

Oh well...i guess since it's free I really can't complain, right?

When I went to DL it it said my PC was 2.3ghz, which is wrong my PC is 3.4ghz. So it says I can only DL a demo not the full game or is it that the Demo is all thats out?

[quote name='dtarasev']Half-Life 2 and CS:Source make me throw up. I get sick and dizzy after 30-45 minutes of play. I'm only up to the air boat part in HL2. I wanna see the amazing HDR but I know that I will end up lying in bed after 30 mins.[/QUOTE]

open the console and type sv_cheats 1, then type fov 90

you're not the only one to experience this...myself included.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=half+life+2+"motion+sickness"&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/23/1631228&tid=204

i got it the other day, and while it does look good, i thought it felt kind of unfinished level design-wise. the pathing was pretty weak; it kept leaving me scratching my head wondering where to go next. i love half life 1 & 2, so don't call me a hater. i just thought it was a lil weaksauce. and, yes, i do know its merely supposed to be a tech demo for hdr, but nevertheless...

you know, i have started experiancing some of this motion sickness since UT2k4 of last year..Earlier today when i was playing the Star ship trooper demo...i started feeling a little queezy. I guess its because games are getting more and more photorealistic that the brain is inturperting it as it happening to you in real life and your body is reacting to it.

I am not a doctor so I can't prove this.

EDIT: OMFG!!! This has got to be the most realistic looking game ever!!! I mean they did a bang up job with HL2 but with this update I am like holy cow. The only problem is that I could not run it at 1280x1024 as it caused my machine to reboot on the commentaries :(...other than that I am like holy shit..i can't wait for the expansion to come out.

[quote name='Frogger']open the console and type sv_cheats 1, then type fov 90

you're not the only one to experience this...myself included.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=half+life+2+"motion+sickness"&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/23/1631228&tid=204[/QUOTE]

HDR is not that impressive to me, it shows too much lighting in areas where there should be none. This demo in the open courtyard area also caused massive slowdown. The Doom 3 Engine runs much faster with better graphics and way less load times (as demonstrated by Quake 4) than Hallife 2's source engine.

Both engine have thier benifits but in the end I'd say doom 3 engine still takes the cake until the new unreal engine.

you are correct to a point...yes things are starting to get too shiny :(

[quote name='Zoglog']HDR is not that impressive to me, it shows too much lighting in areas where there should be none. This demo in the open courtyard area also caused massive slowdown. The Doom 3 Engine runs much faster with better graphics and way less load times (as demonstrated by Quake 4) than Hallife 2's source engine.

Both engine have thier benifits but in the end I'd say doom 3 engine still takes the cake until the new unreal engine.[/QUOTE]

Great, now I have to wear sunglasses while playing -_-...

All (half) kidding aside, HDR is pretty cool. That church was gorgeous!

And tossing the old man's staff/harpoon(?) at Combine was funny...his buddy running up with him didn't seem to even notice (as opposed to if you shoot one with the crossbow, then he'll turn around).

I went out to FRY's and spent $280 on more ram just so I could play this fluidly. Everything plays sooooooo much smoother with 2GB HyperX than my regular Samsung 512MB. =)

Everything looks fan-friggin-tastic! Like someone mentioned, the church looks amazing. The murals took my breath away: they looked so realistic.

My main, and only, gripe, however, is that the Lost Coast is way too short and way too small. They spent so much time on it, that you'd think that we'd get more exploring to do. Seriously, it took me only about 15mins. 20mins at most. That's including listening to the commentaries (which were interesting, if you blot out their carefully scripted, marketing lines from what's really important). After I fought the last boss, I was like,"What??? this is it??" I then started firing those missiles around, and when I got bored, I jumped off the cliff because there was no where else to go.

I went out to FRY's and spent $280 on more ram just so I could play this fluidly. Everything plays sooooooo much smoother with 2GB HyperX than my regular Samsung 512MB. =)

Everything looks fan-friggin-tastic! Like someone mentioned, the church looks amazing. The murals took my breath away: they looked so realistic.

My main, and only, gripe, however, is that the Lost Coast is way too short and way too small. They spent so much time on it, that you'd think that we'd get more exploring to do. Seriously, it took me only about 15mins. 20mins at most. That's including listening to the commentaries (which were interesting, if you blot out their carefully scripted, marketing lines from what's really important). After I fought the last boss, I was like,"What??? this is it??" I then started firing those missiles around, and when I got bored, I jumped off the cliff because there was no where else to go.

[quote name='kingtz']I went out to FRY's and spent $280 on more ram just so I could play this fluidly. Everything plays sooooooo much smoother with 2GB HyperX than my regular Samsung 512MB. =)

My main, and only, gripe, however, is that the Lost Coast is way too short and way too small. They spent so much time on it, that you'd think that we'd get more exploring to do. Seriously, it took me only about 15mins. 20mins at most. That's including listening to the commentaries (which were interesting, if you blot out their carefully scripted, marketing lines from what's really important). After I fought the last boss, I was like,"What??? this is it??" I then started firing those missiles around, and when I got bored, I jumped off the cliff because there was no where else to go.[/QUOTE]

Well you realize that the lost coast is just a tech demo OF what they are working on. Therefore you have not seen the full extent of what they are working on in total.

On a side note, i'm not to say HDR is all bad, but it's not that great either. Some elements of it looked fantastic, but like I said some things were way too shiny when they should not have been.

[quote name='kingtz']I went out to FRY's and spent $280 on more ram just so I could play this fluidly. Everything plays sooooooo much smoother with 2GB HyperX than my regular Samsung 512MB. =)

My main, and only, gripe, however, is that the Lost Coast is way too short and way too small. They spent so much time on it, that you'd think that we'd get more exploring to do. Seriously, it took me only about 15mins. 20mins at most. That's including listening to the commentaries (which were interesting, if you blot out their carefully scripted, marketing lines from what's really important). After I fought the last boss, I was like,"What??? this is it??" I then started firing those missiles around, and when I got bored, I jumped off the cliff because there was no where else to go.[/QUOTE]

I've played it and enjoyed it for what it was - a showcase of HDR, not a full fledged level. The only reason they added certain portions was to satisfy the gamer.

I didn't have any problems playing through it the first time, in terms of where to go and what to do exactly. Stairs get broken, jump across. Cannon keeps shooting, jam it, etc. Where I did have a problem was at the end - I thought that maybe you just jump off and die and that's that.

But oh no. When the copter crashes into the building two boards shift themselves, allowing you to go underneath the platform you were standing on. A little crouching and walking later and you end up on an elevator which brings you to the beginning.

Oh and you can get to the other side of the lake by using the ladder near the 3 large boxes (which is near the staircase that blows up) and jumping down into the water, hugging the wall as you go.

So I assume this HDR stuff is all over the Aftermath expansion right? So a lot of people who could play HL2 fine won't be able to play Aftermath the same (more slowdown at same video options I mean)? When is Aftermath coming out again?

bread's done
Back