Half-Life 2 Special Edition DVD

Arkay Firestar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Now that the game went officially gold and is definitely coming out Nov. 16, could someone find me a deal on it? The special edition is 79.99 everywhere I look, but if I can find it for 10 bucks less I'm totally there.

Exactly. I want to feel a disc in my hand. Plus, let's say I reformat, and I go to redownload my game, and steam is down for maintenance. Oops...no game.

I like to hug the disc to my chest as I fall asleep. :D

Please let me know if you find anything. I'll be keeping my eyes open also...maybe ill find a deal and post it myself.

Packages:
HALF-LIFE 2 BRONZE

$49.95

INCLUDES:
▪ Half-Life® 2*
▪ Counter-Strike™:
Source™

HALF-LIFE 2 SILVER

$59.95

INCLUDES:
▪ Half-Life 2*
▪ Counter-Strike: Source
▪ Half-Life 1: Source*
▪ Day of Defeat™:
Source*
▪ PLUS: Valve's back catalog available on Steam!

HALF-LIFE 2
GOLD

$89.95

INCLUDES:
▪ Half-Life 2*
▪ Counter-Strike:Source
▪ Half-Life 1: Source*
▪ Day of Defeat: Source*
▪ Valve's back catalog available on Steam.
▪ PLUS: HL2 posters, full strat guide, soundtrack, hat, collector's box, postcard & more

I personally have no use for anything in the gold package so I just purchased the silver (includes any game ever made by valve and that will be made by valve in the near future).

As for the collectors edtition box... I really doubt it will be sold for much below the $80...

I just wish they'd throw Silver package over Steam onto retail shelves.

BTW, I read somewhere that Valve would allow you to burn the disc onto a DVD for archival purposes, but I'm not sure how valid that is.

Maybe some deals will surface when the official release date comes out. Walmart had it for $60 but the price is back to $80 now. I hope they still honor my pre-order.

[quote name='afedock']I also read Valve is going to allow users to burn the game onto a disc. Was on IGN or gramspot, so its probably legit.[/quote]

I don't recal VALVe ever doing that in the past with games on Steam. Still, you could burn the Steam files to a CD (or DVD) then cut and paste them back in if you ever had to reinstall Steam. It would just see the pasted files as already being downloaded and would just skip to what you need. Either way, mine is already paid for and I'm already enjoying Counter-Strike: Source. :D

The games are stored in GCF (game cache files) files.

Valve give the files away free but you have to pay to unlock it.

Everything is tied to your account, so if you need to reformat you can either burn the files to a disk OR redownload them, you just need to remember your password.

There is a tutorial on how to backup your steam files using winrar at steampowered.com, the official site.

I'm all over that silver package. However, I'll have to wait to play a demo to see if I need to upgrade my video card first. Geforce 4400 may not cut it anymore. Doom 3 runs, but not as well as I'd like.

[quote name='anthonyi']Outpost has a pretty good deal on preorders right? Like 36$ I think.[/quote]

Not anymore. Last time I checked, it was back to $50.

I'm just going to grab the Collector's Edition via a retail store. I don't want to deal with Steam and if the service goes under 4 or 5 years from now and I want to play the game (assuming I have a new computer then), I'll be screwed. And I just would rather have the DVD in my hands.

bread's done
Back